Metal Zorro Medallion - Solid Pewter - FEB 2024 UPDATE.

Pete SSS

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
JUMP TO POST #32 FOR FEB 2024 UPDATE.

ADE12814-1AA0-45F1-ADB3-29B70E3CDA3B.jpeg

—————————————————————

ZorroMedallion.jpg

And here's a screen cap of the original

ZM3.jpg

It measures 100 mms from top to bottom, and about 64mms wide and it's pretty heavy. Thanks to Alancastillo for the measurements of the costume rubber meddallion.

I'll update when I've sourced the finishing pieces.

Thanks!

Pete

Last edited:
Re: Zorro Medallion - Solid Pewter - Almost there!

Looking forward to this. I've always wanted to have one of these.

This is from the final mould, but the above photo is only the first cast I've pulled from it, I hope to employ a few tricks to try and increase the definition of the detail. The sculpt is more refined than this initial cast.

OK guys, a little update on this project.

I've managed to get a much cleaner cast from the mould. I've got to say I'm MUCH happier with the definition on this one, I think it's pretty much there....

ZorroMedallion02.jpg

I still have to find the "stone", the quest continues....

It looks TONS better Pete :thumbsup

I think as you say, it's almost there; still needs higher definition though as compared to the screen grab.

I think I've finally managed to track down a suitable "stone" for the centre, they should be coming in the next few days, along with some chain and clasps. I think having the stone set in should really tie the design together.

I've got one more trick to have a go at with the moulding process to try and get a sharper cast, we'll see what happens....

Hey guys, Here are a few shots of the medallion all pieced together, stone, chain and all.

ZorroMedallion04.jpg

ZorroMedallion05.jpg

ZorroMedallion03.jpg

This is the most recent cast from the mould. I have been experimenting with heating the mould to help the pewter flow into the details. I'm then forcing the pewter into the mould with as much pressure as I can.

If anything, this latest cast is a little less defined than the one before it, (but I think it actually looks much closer to the original, due to the much less enthusuastic weathering!) I think the main reason for the lower definition is that I didn't melt quite enough metal to overfill the mould, so there wasn't quite enough pressure, it's quite a fine science apparantly!

Well, back to the fire I go, I'm determined to get a cast I'm happy with!

Wow now that's pretty! I don't envy you working with pewter, it can be so fiddly for trying to cast intricate pieces. Great job though!

Wow now that's pretty! I don't envy you working with pewter, it can be so fiddly for trying to cast intricate pieces. Great job though!

Thanks man, pewter really is a bit of a bugger to get right, lots of variables that can change results dramatically, especially on an intricate piece.

Wow. That's impressive. Haven't graduated to metal casting yet, are there any resources for someone like me who would like to one day be equally impressive? :)

Thanks James, your making me blush! Honestly, there's nothing too impressive here.

Casting low melt alloys, like pewter, doensn't really require any special equipment, at least, not doing it at this level.

All you really need is a silicon mould, (I use a high temp rated mix), an iron crucible (approx £30 from Alec Tiranti), and some heat. If i'm doing a fairly big ammount of items, I build a real fire. If your only doing one or two items, then you can use a gas camping stove, or just a blowtorch. I've found that a great way to use up the ends of a summer BBQ fire is with a bit of pewter casting, just make sure your sober enough!

The resources aren't to diffucult to come by, you can buy Pewter ingots online, the things you really need are patience and perseverance, it's easy to cast pewter, but it's very tricky to get a perfect cast.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back