Metal-powder coating molds for resin pours: best way/materials?

Docking Bay 93

I have these two keychain projects in mind, and I need to know a little more about using metallic powder inside the mold to make the end result look more like metal. I don't know what kind of powder I'm supposed to use, or how well this works. It should be able to take a few hits, unless it's better for me to coat it afterwards.

I remember, a few years back, we were all excited about that resin that was mixed with metal powder, and looked like metal. There was a large Darth Vader statue done in it one, and it looked pretty amazing. If someone could point me in the right direction, or give up some tips, I'd appreciate it. I'd rather make them this way, since it would feel more like metal, and would take hits well. I could use PMC Silver to do it, but these would cost at least like $30-50 each just for materials, and I have to keep my costs lower than that if I can help it.

OR

Would it be easier to use something like ALCAD and just paint and buff 'em? I've never worked with it before, but I seem to remember that it worked really well. I'd be fine with that, if it wasn't just easier to do the metallic resin.

My mold is really simple, only about 1/4" thick, and 2" in diameter. The other one is about 1/4" X 3 X 1.5. I'm going to just do simple exposed molds with flat backs.

Thanks for your help. I promise you'll like what I'm doing. Finally. ;)

-E

Thanks for the links, I didn't think to look up "cold casting". I found this site

http://www.alumilite.com/line.cfm?Action=view&ID=4

And their powders look good. I'm confused, however, because they sell an Aluminum Powder that you mix with resin, and then they sell other Metallic Powders in other metals, but these are for dusting the mold. Is there a reason you couldn't just use these dusting powders the same way you use the Aluminum Powder? Maybe there's something I don't know about these, but it seems like you should be able to.

I'm sorry I can't say anything more on the project right now...I'm still doing a little research. I'll post as soon as I know, though.

-E

I would call their 800 number and ask them why they say to mix some and dust others. If you read this link, http://www.alumilite.com/howto.cfm?ID=11 you only have the powder on the outside of the part and don't have any on the inside. If it works right it should save on the metal and the weight. I will have to try that next time I make something.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back