Metal casting.

FiremanSpock

I'm looking into making some metal casts of some props, and as a first timer in this type of project, is there anyone who knows of a good place to get the right information on how-to?

My plan is to make metal replicas of gold pressed latinum. I have resin replicas, but would like to make some that are more lifelike, with that metallic "clink" that Quark was so fond of hearing. I'm not set on any specific metal yet, was hoping to find out if anyone has any experience with any particular one that is more manageable for this type of project. And I would love to make at least the slips and strips solid.

most model metal casting is whitemetal...its soft and melts at a low temp. It wont give you a clink though. Casting steel is going to be harder because of the temp involved

Last edited:
We still need more info. What size, how many parts, what is their function, what is the subject matter....?

Pewter definitely looks like its very workable. But I'd be interested in knowing more about aluminum too. I have a few metal cubits from BSG, and they provide a nice sound when struck, and they are made from anodized aluminum. I do appreciate all the information.

Pewter will be a lot heavier which to me always feels more like the 'real deal'.

For aluminium you will need a proper kiln, crucibles etc.

Edit - Scott, they're replicas of Star Trek currency. Jamie, your Terminator project is amazing!!!

Last edited:
Incredible work Jaime. I can tell aluminum might not be a first time project, I'll stick to the pewter idea for now. Seems like a better place for a beginner to start. And you're right about the weight. The aluminum cubits are quite light.

Next payday, I'll get started. I'll keep you guys posted. :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back