Casting Windows for my 1/6 TARDIS Model -- Need some advice

dcarty

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi! I am entering the home stretch on my MkIII altered Brachacki TARDIS (Jamie Bait kit -- aiming for as is appeared in "Spearhead From Space") and the two remaining hurdles I have are the windows and the signage. I'm experimenting with casting up my own windows using sheet acrylic and the pebbled bits from a plastic milk bottle. I've worked up a mold and cast up my first sample but the resin I've used is not great. Puduo brand, I bought on Amazon as it was highly rated and relatively inexpensive and if I liked it I'd get more and if not I'd try something else. Mold is made from oomoo 25 from Smooth-on.

It's nice and clear but won't cure completely. It's still rather flexible kind of like a hard rubber. (As I type this, I'm beginning to think that this really isn't that big a deal as I won't have to worry about it cracking or breaking -- just yellowing over time). The manufacturer insists that the resin should be hard when cured. I thought it might be because I was trying to cast something very thin (about 1/32") but the resin that was left in the mixing cup didn't solidify either -- I could dent it with my fingernail and the dent would work itself out. I was extremely careful to measure everything correctly (pour the resin and hardener into separate containers then pour each into a third to mix). Other people who've reviewed this stuff have had the same issue.

I'm going to rework the pebbled/smooth combination window and remold it as there are some artifacts about it I don't like. You can't see them when the pane is in place but I know they're there, lol -- you know how it is.

Anywho, does anyone have anything they recommend? I've considered Smooth-on Crystal Clear 202 as it is supposed to work at the thickness I need but it is recommended for "industrial use" so I'm not sure I want to bother with it.

Pics below of the windows mocked up: 20220717_175026.jpg 20220717_175032.jpg 20220717_175036.jpg 20220717_175049.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Dave C

Antsnest

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Many resins cure with an exothermic reaction (they get hot) and this helps the cure - but if you only have a thin section it just doesn't have the volume to hold the heat. If you have some scrap pieces, you could try heating them in an oven for a bit - can't really say how hot or how long, may just be down to experimentation...

dcarty

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Many resins cure with an exothermic reaction (they get hot) and this helps the cure - but if you only have a thin section it just doesn't have the volume to hold the heat. If you have some scrap pieces, you could try heating them in an oven for a bit - can't really say how hot or how long, may just be down to experimentation...
That was why I figured that they weren't curing but I mixed way more than I needed and what was left in the cup really should have hardened if it was a question of having the proper mass to get up to temperature and it didn't. I also left them under a lamp to see if that would help it kick and it didn't (I've had luck with this method before getting epoxy to harden) :-/

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.