Mermaids

Laamberry

So, this is what I do when I'm not making Iron Man. I've never really posted on here about the whole "I make mermaid tails all day" thing because they aren't really replicas of anything. But then I remembered the off topic section! So here is my little show off <3 Maybe one day somebody will commission me to do a POTC tail or something and I can have a relevant WIP thread <3

156423_268031463291654_268030779958389_573813_1213330195_n.jpg

536539_268035759957891_268030779958389_573834_1966308698_n.jpg

529970_277388502355950_268030779958389_594449_568233077_n.jpg

Matt and I are also working on making sheets of scales out of urethane. Besides mermaid tails (and awesome scaled clothes), I like the idea of putting mettalic powders in and selling it off as material for cool faux scalemail! Whatcha think?

546320_277057492389051_268030779958389_593772_880741717_n.jpg

Wow. That's quite something! I would love to see you tackle a POTC one.

Agree with Wes, if you can cast flexible sheets there'd surely be a market for it.

Metallic powders might work well for iridescent fish scales too, no?

Awesome job! I love mermaids :D
I actually had to sculpt and cast a silicone mermaid tail for one for my sister-in-law's photoshoots (I had one night to work on it:eek). It turned out nice and the photos looked awesome, but a bit heavy for the model when it filled up with water. I vowed never to do another one, so kudos to you for doing multiples of them.
The scales are looking great, can't wait to see more.

I think making the sheets as faux scalemail might be a hit. Do you layer all the scales by hand on them?

we've got a big ol' mold.

Wow. That's quite something! I would love to see you tackle a POTC one.

Agree with Wes, if you can cast flexible sheets there'd surely be a market for it.

Metallic powders might work well for iridescent fish scales too, no?

Yessss the possibilities are endless <3

Awesome job! I love mermaids :D
I actually had to sculpt and cast a silicone mermaid tail for one for my sister-in-law's photoshoots (I had one night to work on it:eek). It turned out nice and the photos looked awesome, but a bit heavy for the model when it filled up with water. I vowed never to do another one, so kudos to you for doing multiples of them.
The scales are looking great, can't wait to see more.

:0 Do you have pictures of it?? I would love to see them.

Matt and I are also working on making sheets of scales out of urethane. Besides mermaid tails (and awesome scaled clothes), I like the idea of putting mettalic powders in and selling it off as material for cool faux scalemail! Whatcha think?

546320_277057492389051_268030779958389_593772_880741717_n.jpg

This seems like a project tailor made for a comic style Captain America.

Should be a hit :)
Chris

I love them!!! Also those mermaid pro shots are pretty friggin awesome as well!!

I think a metallic/iridescent shine mermaid tail would be brilliant to do!

Very cool. Have you seen the one WETA made for the double amputee?
Peter Jacksons Weta Workshop Makes Mermaid Suit for Double Amputee - YouTube

I have! Amazing thing.

Here's a couple of shots I had on my computer:

That's absolutely gorgeous work. Not that I ever expected any less of you ;]

I love them!!! Also those mermaid pro shots are pretty friggin awesome as well!!

I think a metallic/iridescent shine mermaid tail would be brilliant to do!

Hahahaha I should make one in copper and sell it as a steampunk tail. Thanks as always for the support, Becky <3

I would totally buy the scale mail sheets. Do you do it in a diamond pattern too or just curved?

Right now it's just the curved scales that we're doing in urethane. Maybe we'll do some different patterns in the future if this takes off.

What a great idea!

Another use for this type of texture would be Galadriel's "Dark Queen" costume - her breast plate had the fish scale look. I can't find any links to the actual costume off hand (that show the detail anyway) but Penwiper did an amazing replica using stickers and it will show what I'm talking about:

Dark Galadriel Costume

What a great idea!

Another use for this type of texture would be Galadriel's "Dark Queen" costume - her breast plate had the fish scale look. I can't find any links to the actual costume off hand (that show the detail anyway) but Penwiper did an amazing replica using stickers and it will show what I'm talking about:

Dark Galadriel Costume

OH MAN! That would be a brilliant idea!!

I think you and Matt should try and legally protect your technique/pattern/etc. It's looking like there is a *big* market for your material - especially if it is flexible and can either be painted or created in custom colors, patterns or textures.

So many costumes could use this... what a cool "armor" tunic it could be... :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back