Mermaids

I think you and Matt should try and legally protect your technique/pattern/etc. It's looking like there is a *big* market for your material - especially if it is flexible and can either be painted or created in custom colors, patterns or textures.

So many costumes could use this... what a cool "armor" tunic it could be... :)

I'm hoping the demand is enough to make it worthwhile. I don't think it's really a pattern or process that can be protected by any legal means. My only hope is that flat out recasting the stuff would be more trouble than it's worth. But as with all things like this, my expectation is that people will find a way to rip off originality. They always do.

I am still working through the debugging process with the material. I want to make sure I can get relatively bubble free castings, at the right thickness, with the right color penetration. I also need to make sure the fabric that I embed in it will work well for my needs.

I'm also thrilled to hear that there's not only a lot of interest in it, but so many different costumes that could benefit from this type of fabric.

I would totally buy the scale mail sheets. Do you do it in a diamond pattern too or just curved?

If someone wanted to commission us to build a diamond pattern, we could totally do it. I've debugged the pattern creation process. It's extremely tedious and time consuming, but hey, if the price is right :D

So, this feels like a weird thread to put my first comment on (aside from the new member intro thread), but oh well...

You may have thought of this already, but I think I originally found this site doing research for a Thor costume and it seems to me that with a metallic finish it might also be good for those armored sleeves Thor wears.

Or if anyone was daring enough, an Aquaman costume.

Or if anyone was crazy enough... a Namor costume. :sick

I've never really posted on here [...] because they aren't really replicas of anything.

hmmm...wasn't there a Disney movie some time ago? About a mermaid? A red-haired girl with a seashell bikini top. Am I the only one who remembers? :lol

But anyway, GREAT outcome! I still remember this little piece of the tail from your "How to make a Mold"-video from...what? already seven months ago?? But I guess anyone who has seen it will remember the shaking-scene :lol

hmmm...wasn't there a Disney movie some time ago? About a mermaid? A red-haired girl with a seashell bikini top. Am I the only one who remembers? :lol

But anyway, GREAT outcome! I still remember this little piece of the tail from your "How to make a Mold"-video from...what? already seven months ago?? But I guess anyone who has seen it will remember the shaking-scene :lol

I've already been Ariel hahaha. I dunno why but it always seemed inappropriate to post that costume here!

So, this feels like a weird thread to put my first comment on (aside from the new member intro thread), but oh well...

You may have thought of this already, but I think I originally found this site doing research for a Thor costume and it seems to me that with a metallic finish it might also be good for those armored sleeves Thor wears.

Or if anyone was daring enough, an Aquaman costume.

Or if anyone was crazy enough... a Namor costume. :sick

Dude don't diss Namor, he's my favorite comic character of all time. I love that guy, little feet wings and all <3

Dude don't diss Namor, he's my favorite comic character of all time. I love that guy, little feet wings and all <3

Really? Favorite of all time? Hmm. I apparently don't know enough about Namor.
Well anyway, I'm not dissing Namor... per se... If you've got super powers, by all means wear whatever the heck you want. Who's going to do anything about it? The idea of someone walking around in a scaly speedo at a Con or something however...

I remember this discussion. Namor>Aquaman. That is all.

How do these handle a good kick in the water? Are they functional?

They're made for the water! You actually swim faster in them.

As for Namor...you really can't hate a guy who combines a hilariously stupid concept and terrifying badassery simultaneously. I love that little fish man.

hey lady , sweet are these things swim-able do they have one of those mono fin things in the tail tip? I do not know if you seen her Aquatic Performer Marina *MeduSirena the aquacats are awesome performers , that is medu sirena they have mono-finned tails .... lol that and a lot of practice , i can only really above and under water doggie paddle :[ but sweet work i like the faux scales too , they are cool for a number of things ... oh **** and as far as replica costumes go , people are making tons of pirates of the caribbean costumes , i am sure one of those jack sparrows on here would like to make his girlfriend a great quality mermaid tail from the movie

(qui beat me to the question) but look at that aquacat performance anyway , because they are awesome

(qui beat me to the question) but look at that aquacat performance anyway , because they are awesome
Okay, that was a cool vidja. Laam, if your stuff holds up like that, I can see a market for them. Her fin looks like it could be a bit more responsive, but otherwise it looks good.

I could never open both eyes underwater...weird.

Your scales could also potentially be popular with some re-enactors, lots of different cultures throughout history have used scale armor, most notably the Romans; along with the better known mail (hamata) and banded armor (segmentata) they also wore scale armor called squamata. While I'm certain that most serious re-enactors prefer metal armor this could be good for re-enactors on a budget or someone looking to recreate the look without the weight, provided that you can make these with a realistic metal finish.

hey lady , sweet are these things swim-able do they have one of those mono fin things in the tail tip? I do not know if you seen her Aquatic Performer Marina *MeduSirena the aquacats are awesome performers , that is medu sirena they have mono-finned tails .... lol that and a lot of practice , i can only really above and under water doggie paddle :[ but sweet work i like the faux scales too , they are cool for a number of things ... oh **** and as far as replica costumes go , people are making tons of pirates of the caribbean costumes , i am sure one of those jack sparrows on here would like to make his girlfriend a great quality mermaid tail from the movie

Thanks for the video and the link on my FB page :> I really like the tropical theme she has going on <3 and man I wish those POTC people would find me, I need business! Oh and yes, there's a monofin in there.

OMG the tails are so freaking cool, I kinda want one.

Thanks! :D

Okay, that was a cool vidja. Laam, if your stuff holds up like that, I can see a market for them. Her fin looks like it could be a bit more responsive, but otherwise it looks good.

I could never open both eyes underwater...weird.

Her tail is just spandex! Really pretty though, huh? I've thought about selling spandex tails as a cheaper alternative for people who can't afford the neoprene/latex ones..

Your scales could also potentially be popular with some re-enactors, lots of different cultures throughout history have used scale armor, most notably the Romans; along with the better known mail (hamata) and banded armor (segmentata) they also wore scale armor called squamata. While I'm certain that most serious re-enactors prefer metal armor this could be good for re-enactors on a budget or someone looking to recreate the look without the weight, provided that you can make these with a realistic metal finish.

I've thought of this! Soooo many applications!

How did you make those scales? Did you buy the material or did you make it?

I made them :) they're made out of a type of caulking you can get at home depot called ALEX plus.

Welp, there goes the whole urethane scales thing. But I bring new photos!

308904_4399632479247_1716599025_n.jpg

202463_4594484306533_1345498423_o.jpg

Happy customers :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back