Medicom BR Spinner customizing - progress

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by DARTH SABER, Mar 26, 2006.

1. DARTH SABER

DARTH SABER Master Member

OK, I just got the plastic die cast blade runner Spinner from Medicom and it's been about 10 years since Ive done modeling work.
    The plastic used on the car seems to be different than that of model kits. It's die cast and very slick and shiny.

I do own an airbrush (gotta test it out and see if it still workd OK though) and I was planning to use acrylic paint because oil based is just too icky and smelly and Im not sure how it will react with this type of plastic.

So, anyone have any tips as to what type of paint I should use, techniques, should I use a primer or will the paint adhere to this type of plastic without primer, etc. ??

Thanks

DS

2. burningman

burningman Well-Known Member

I would guess primer but your best bet would be to try a small area where it wont be seen on the actual model..Like inside the body or some such place.

3. JP05

JP05 Well-Known Member

I think I have an all black spinner from Medicom.....but its all plastic. Can you post pics?

Steve

4. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

When the time comes, you might want to drop member philippes a PM. I believe he makes (or made) a great set of scaled decals for converting the Medicom "Future Car" into a police spinner.

5. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

DS,
    I just finished one of these very same conversions a couple of months ago. You will DEFINITELY have to prime the body before painting. Like you described, the "shiny, oily" looking plastic needs something for your topcoat to bite into.

I also completely disassembled the Spinner before painting. Made it a lot easier to handle and make sure I got good coverage on everything.

Here's a pic of my finished Medicom. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
    Eric

[​IMG]

Thanks to Wackychimp for hosting.

6. DARTH SABER

I just recently ordered a set of decals from a guy named Phil (Found out about him on another site)...I wonder if it's the same guy.

DS

7. DARTH SABER

Thanks for the tips Superjedi (And everyone else as well).

That spinner looks superb.
    I actually found a tutorial website that gives a step by step on how to convert the Medicom spinner (even taking it apart as you mentioned).
    However the tutorial isn't finished , and there isnt any info on the painting process yet....Last update was March 9.
    Still waiting for more info to go up on the site.

For those who want to check it out here's the link -

http://hometown.aol.com/nkw1965/BRSpinner.html

BTW Superjedi, what kind of pain t did you use? water based acrylic, oil based etc.??

Did you add a gloss coating?

Don't have pics of my spinner, but if you go to the website I posted above there's a pic of the same black Medicom spinner I have.

DS

8. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

I primed with good ol' reliable Krylon gray primer, then I used a color from Duplicolor's 'engine enamel' line called Old Ford Blue (# DE1621) sprayed right outta the can.

It was actually extremely glossy, so I used Krylon satin finish to knock down the shine after I had applied the decals. BTW, my decals were from Phil S. also. He did an outstanding job on them.

9. temponaut

If it's Phil Steinschneider, then it's the same guy. :)

The decals are just one of his many contributions to the Blade Runner community. :thumbsup Among other things, he also did much of the research that revealed the origins of Deckard's blaster, enabling Richard Coyle to create his highly-accurate "C&S" replica. (The "S" stands for "Steinschneider." The "C," of course, stands for "Coyle." :p)

Check out their respective sites for lots of goodies.

Phil Steinschneider: Prop Homepage

Richard A. Coyle: RACProps

10. DARTH SABER

Thanks for the tips guys.

I got the decals in the mail yesterday so Im all set to go.

So I take it that I can indeed use Krylon spray paint for the body without worry of damage from the chemicals?

Im thinking of starting on the the painting over the weekend.

BTW, any ideas for the lights?

DS

11. temponaut

Try GRS Micro Lighting. They've got a number of special effects bulbs, light bars, and circuit boards for various scales. The large-scale "gumball rotating beacon" simulators might work for your project.

GRS Micro Lighting - Special Effects Lighting

12. DARTH SABER

Just thought Id drop in and give a progress report on the spinner.

1) Took the spinner completely apart and masked off the the desired areas.

2) Spray painted the first coat using Krylon FUSION spray paint (fuses right to plastic, no primer needed. ). I went with a blu that wasn't too light or too dark - "Safety Blue"

3) Waited a day and then hit it with a second coat.

4) Waited a day and hit it with a third and final coat. (Prefect finish IMO.)

5) Today I added the decals

All I need to do is a little touching up with the fine paintbrush (Windshield frame, rims, white sections on the wheel covers, and roof etc.) and Im all done.

ONE MORE THING-

I wanted to point out some tips to those who plan on picking up some of Phil's decals - They are extremely fragile and need to be coated with a light spray of clear semi-gloss laquer .This will strengthen them up pretty good.)

My first decal completely desintigrated when I tried sliding it on the body of the spinner (Luckily I picked up 2 sets of decals from Phil)

Also, when adding the giant decal strip on the back bumper I suggest cutting it into about 4 sections, and then piecing it together on the spinner...It's extremely hard keeping it intact as one giant piece.

Anyhow, aside from that first decal snafu, everything is turning out perfect.

Ill try and post some pics (with my crappy camera) later tonight.

I can't thank you guys enough for the great tips.

DS

13. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

DS,
    Excellent. Looking forward to seeing your pics.

14. DARTH SABER

Thanks Superjedi.

Anyhoo, here are those progress pics I promised -

Still have a lot of work to do with the fine details, and the Spinner isn't assembled yet (all the parts are basically laying on top of each other without screws...You'll notice that the windshield isnt even snapped on to the body yet) -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ill post more as I get further along.

Thanks agin guys.

DS

15. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

DS,
    Looking good.. Your pics made me realize I forgot to paint 2 small details on mine. LOL
    Oh well. . . guess I'll break out a paintbrush this weekend. :)

16. temponaut

Looks great, DS. :eek Very sharp paint work. And lovely decals by Phil. :thumbsup

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the lighting.

17. DARTH SABER

Thanks Superjedi....Let me guess, you forgot to paint the headlights?

BTW, how hard is it to snap the windshield back into place?

Thanks Temponuat, actually Im not very good with electronics so I might just make this a static model. Maybe later on down the road Ill add some working lights.

Anyhow, Im almost done with the painting. Need to paint the oval windows on the sides, then Im moving on to customizing the interior with some wiring, and greeblies.

For the lights on top, Im thinking of looking through some faux jewelry at Micgheals. I beieve Ive seen some rectangualar and oval hemispher jewels sold there.
    I also need to find an object to make the rail that holds the one yellow light on the right side. Im thinking of maybe using one of those plastic fasteners (used to hold wiring together).They seem to have the same kind of ridge work that the railing has.

DS

18. DARTH SABER

Went out today looking for some greeblies. Here's what i found -

1) Went to Radio Shack and found some Nylon Ties which are the perfect size for the railing metal railing on the side.

2) Went to Micheals and found some mini Xmas light decoration which are the correct size and shap for the tear drop shaoed lightc on top

[​IMG]

DS

19. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

DS,
    I actually had considered using those zip-ties for that weird rail structure. Have you noticed there are "locator" marks on the body of the Spinner for adding these details? There's also a hole in the top of the fin on the roof. . . as if something is supposed to go there.

Those mini light decorations look really promising. What would you say has to be done to them? Maybe sand a flat surface into it? What are they made from? (sheesh, enough questions already)

And yes, I forgot to paint the headlights on mine. Those odd crescent shaped things on the front wheel pods. :)
    As for reassembling the windshield, it wasn't too hard. Just make sure once you snap it back onto the body you check it well for fingerprints. I nearly had the whole model back together when I noticed a nice fingerprint on the inside of the windshield (of course. . .)

20. DARTH SABER

Yeah, it's the best match Ive seen on a found object (actually it's pretty dead on) .Im thinking of building a brace for the ties. If you look at some of the screencaps from the film, there's some kind of structure under the railing (starts just below the oval windows)

Yeah, word has it that Mattel was going to make the Blade Runner Spinner but they couldn't get the licence so they passed it on to Medicom for the BTF car. Looks like Matter had everything set up for the lights and railing system.

Well Im considering a few possibilities. One would be filing (or cutting) half of the light completely flat. However this poses a problem because it would be very difficult to secure such a small (and round) object while working on it.

Can't use a vice since it would be in the way of the file. Can't hold it with my hands , it would pop right out of my fingers while filing or cutting it.

The other way is , making a small base out of Sculpy and just burying half of the light into it (so that only half of it is visible.)

Any suggestions?

Solid plastic

Thanks, Ill keep an eye out for fingerprints.

DS

21. DARTH SABER

New update pic -

Testing out the railing on the side, painted the oval windows, started adding greeblies to the interior.

[​IMG]

DS

22. DARTH SABER

new UPDATE -

I wasn't sure how well those little Christmas light thingies would turn out, considering I had to cut them to the right shape (And working with something this small and a Dremmel can be tricky).
    I decided hold off on the Dremmel and try something else intead .

I pickd up a fingernail file board and fingernail buffer from Wallgreens.

I started filing one side flat on the bead lights and in about 5 minutes I had the shape I was looking for . I thought for sure Id be sitting up all night filing down just one of these lights....Turns out it took about 5-10 minutes for each one to be filed and buffed to a shine.

[​IMG]

BTW quick question for you Blade Runner spinner experts... IVe noticed that the majority of the spinner models Ive seen have 3 RED tear drop shaped lights on top....However, in the film there are 3 AMBER tear shaped lights on top. Is there a reason for the switch to red among modelers??

Im just wondering if Im missing something or if Im reading the color wrong on the screencaps...??

DS

23. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

Hey. Those little lights look great. Nice work.
    Don't know about the variation between amber/red. Maybe it was a difference between the full-size Spinner and the models. Hopefully someone with more expertise will chime in.

How is that zip tie working out? Are you "pre-bending" it at all to get it to fit?

24. DARTH SABER

Yeah, I gotta look into that. From the screencaps of the full size spinner it definitely looks like they're amber.

It worked out pretty well. When I picked up the zip tie at Radio Shack i also picked up a handy little manual drill set that comes with super small drill bits.
    I used that drill to deepen the pre-existing slots for the zip tie.

I then took the zip tie and used a blowdryer to soften the plastic to bend the tips to fit in the slot. It works great. I still havent secured the zip tie in place though (it's just sitting in the slots without any kind of glue etc.).

This has actually been a pretty fun project. Just gotta finish detailing the interior and then set up the lights and that should be it.

And once again, thanks for the help.

DS

25. DARTH SABER

More update pics.

still gotta paint the light railing black, add the light to the side railing and and some more details to the interior.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DS

26. temponaut

Truly outstanding, DS. I love your elegant solution to the problems of the siderail and the lights.

Great work. :thumbsup

27. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

DS, that looks fantastic.
    It looks like you did a little disc on top of those posts for each of the teardrop lights to sit on. Is that what I'm seeing?

28. DARTH SABER

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(superjedi @ Apr 20 2006, 12:59 AM) [snapback]1229515[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks SJ. Yeah, those are little silver platform discs under the lights. I cut them out of styrene and shaped them with a file. I lookd at some caps of the screen used Spinner and noticed that the lights had little silver platforms so I decided to toss them in.

Just finished painting the light railing to black. Im moving on to adding the light fixture on the side railing.

DS

29. Pauleysolo

Pauleysolo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is a really nice job..

30. DARTH SABER

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pauleysolo @ Apr 22 2006, 11:56 AM) [snapback]1231144[/snapback]</div>

Thanks Pauley.

I went ahead and added some more details to the interior, painted the light railing on top, and made the mounting mechanism for the side railing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DS

31. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

Outstanding.
    Any chance you'd provide a "shopping list" for the parts required for the light system once you're done?

32. temponaut

DS:

:eek Your Spinner grows more striking with each post. I am truly impressed by your customization of the Medicom Future Car into a very cool Police Spinner, and by the techniques you used to achieve it.

Bravo. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

33. DARTH SABER

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(superjedi @ Apr 23 2006, 12:47 AM) [snapback]1231511[/snapback]</div>

Thanks Temponaut and Superjedi.

Quick question for Superjedi -

I was looking at the pic of your spinner and I noticed that the inside wall of the clear headlight cover ( in the fron center of the the Spinner , between the wheels) is painted blue. How did you manage to remove the clear cover to gain access inside??

Ive been trying to remove this part by pushing the prongs from the inside of the cockpit but haven't been able to do it (lloks like they glued this piece in place at the factory). I also don't want to force it because the clear cover might crack.

DS

34. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DARTH SABER @ Apr 23 2006, 10:53 AM) [snapback]1231731[/snapback]</div>
    Well, that's exactly how I removed mine, by pushing the prongs from the inside once I had the body disassembled. I used a tiny flat bladed "precision" screwdriver, and it popped off pretty easily.
    Mine definitely wasn't glued on. But I don't know if they changed their assembly procedures at the factory.

After I sprayed the body blue, I went back and painted the flat part behind the clear piece silver, to simluate a light.

35. Aegis159

Aegis159 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DARTH SABER @ Apr 12 2006, 11:04 AM) [snapback]1225031[/snapback]</div>
    Well after spending many, many wonderful days/weeks ( I feel like Commandant Lasard from Police Academy) going through dozens of images of the live action and spinner models from the movie specifically looking at the light placements, I can say that NONE of the vehicles had the same light configuration, and that the color of the lights varied. What makes the matter worse is the fact that the vehicles, both the live action versions and the models, were so manhandled that they were changed repeatedly as they were damaged and then people would attempt to repair them. Perfect example would be shots of the hero spinner model at the Paris Salon viewing... I mean they've got lights from the lightbars placed on the side of the vehicle.. So basically, it comes down to whichever configuration you prefer and whichever light coloring you like better as both are ok.

36. DARTH SABER

Thanks for the tips Aegis. Looks like I went with the Spinner that's seen in the beginning of the film .

Anyhow, Here are the pics of the "pretty much finished" Spinner. Just need to add some lights underneath and that's about it.

I was thinking about weathering it but I noticed that the spinner in the film is pretty clean.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for all the help guys.

DS

37. temponaut

:eek :eek :eek :eek :eek

NICE.

What did you use for the sixth light (the one mounted on the side rail)? Is that the same piece you used for the teardrop lights, but sanded into a different shape? Or was it a different shape to begin with?

Are you planning on installing the "control arm" (which extends from the back wall straight forward between the pilot and passenger seats) in the cabin?

Really beautiful work, DS. I'm very impressed. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

38. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

Dang...
    Excellent work. I found those little mini-ornament things at Michael's the other day, and I'm working on shaping them into lights for my Spinner.
    Thanks for that tip. They're gonna work perfectly. :thumbsup

39. Aegis159

Aegis159 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DARTH SABER @ Apr 26 2006, 10:48 PM) [snapback]1233904[/snapback]</div>
    No problem there DS.

As to how clean the car was in the film... well it actually wasn't all that clean. they actually weathered it quite a bit, but the fact that it was wet the majority of the time it doesn't really show in the film... you know how rain makes all cars nice and shiney looking. Anyway, it still looks great. Great job on the transformation. Hehehe once i get my larger one done I'll tackle this little guy..

40. Aegis159

Aegis159 Sr Member

This is the arm Tempo is referring to just in case ;)

41. DARTH SABER

Thanks guys.

I gotta admit I had quite a bit of fun creating this little car. I really should get back into models.

No it was a different plastic piece. The teardrops were too small.
    I had to go back to that Michaels place and pick up some jewel hemispheres in the faux jewelry section (Which was kind of embarissing because the aisle was packed with little teeny bopper girls buying little beads and jewelry ,and there I was looking through bags of colored jewels. :$ )

Anyhow, I took the hemispheres cut a rough shape of what I needed with a Dremmel, and sanded down to the final shape and size. Then I shined it up with a nail buffer.

You know , I was actually thinking of adding this piece and for some reason I just never went through with it. Im thinking In going to go back into the cockpit and add it in.

Thanks Aegis... Maybe Ill get my airbrush out and give it a bit of weathering.

No problem, Im glad you were able to find them....Let me know if you need any other tips etc.

You gotta post pics when you're done.

DS

42. DrMcoy

DrMcoy Sr Member

VERY COOL. Picked up the x-mas lights from MICHAEL'S today. THANKS for the tip.

What did you make the square lights out of?

What did you use for the piece that holds the side amber light -- the one that rests at the toip of the silver side rail -- the piecve thaty actually is attached to the clear amber light?

Thanks.

43. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member

44. lunadude

lunadude Active Member

The Spinner that comes with the disc(s) is about 9 1/4". I think that is about the size of the Medicom version, from years back.

45. hansicle

hansicle Sr Member

The version just released with the Blu-ray is lacking detail inside... I was actually doing a search to see if anyone was doing any type of upgrade kit for the inside, like decals or some sort of kit... hopefully....:cool

Found this link... Ohhh Ahhhhh

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=17325

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010