Medicom BR Spinner customizing - progress

DARTH SABER

Master Member
OK, I just got the plastic die cast blade runner Spinner from Medicom and it's been about 10 years since Ive done modeling work.
The plastic used on the car seems to be different than that of model kits. It's die cast and very slick and shiny.

I do own an airbrush (gotta test it out and see if it still workd OK though) and I was planning to use acrylic paint because oil based is just too icky and smelly and Im not sure how it will react with this type of plastic.

So, anyone have any tips as to what type of paint I should use, techniques, should I use a primer or will the paint adhere to this type of plastic without primer, etc. ??

Thanks

DS

I would guess primer but your best bet would be to try a small area where it wont be seen on the actual model..Like inside the body or some such place.

When the time comes, you might want to drop member philippes a PM. I believe he makes (or made) a great set of scaled decals for converting the Medicom "Future Car" into a police spinner.

DS,
I just finished one of these very same conversions a couple of months ago. You will DEFINITELY have to prime the body before painting. Like you described, the "shiny, oily" looking plastic needs something for your topcoat to bite into.

I also completely disassembled the Spinner before painting. Made it a lot easier to handle and make sure I got good coverage on everything.

Here's a pic of my finished Medicom. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Eric

Spinnerleft.jpg

Thanks to Wackychimp for hosting.

Originally posted by temponaut@Mar 26 2006, 10:11 PM
When the time comes, you might want to drop member philippes a PM.  I believe he makes (or made) a great set of scaled decals for converting the Medicom "Future Car" into a police spinner.
[snapback]1213893[/snapback]​

I just recently ordered a set of decals from a guy named Phil (Found out about him on another site)...I wonder if it's the same guy.

DS

Originally posted by superjedi@Mar 26 2006, 10:14 PM
DS,
I just finished one of these very same conversions a couple of months ago.  You will DEFINITELY have to prime the body before painting.  Like you described, the "shiny, oily" looking plastic needs something for your topcoat to bite into.

I also completely disassembled the Spinner before painting.  Made it a lot easier to handle and make sure I got good coverage on everything.

Here's a pic of my finished Medicom.  Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Eric

Spinnerleft.jpg

Thanks to Wackychimp for hosting.
[snapback]1213895[/snapback]​

Thanks for the tips Superjedi (And everyone else as well).

That spinner looks superb.
I actually found a tutorial website that gives a step by step on how to convert the Medicom spinner (even taking it apart as you mentioned).
However the tutorial isn't finished , and there isnt any info on the painting process yet....Last update was March 9.
Still waiting for more info to go up on the site.

For those who want to check it out here's the link -

http://hometown.aol.com/nkw1965/BRSpinner.html

BTW Superjedi, what kind of pain t did you use? water based acrylic, oil based etc.??

Did you add a gloss coating?

I think I have an all black spinner from Medicom.....but its all plastic. Can you post pics?

Steve

Don't have pics of my spinner, but if you go to the website I posted above there's a pic of the same black Medicom spinner I have.

DS

Originally posted by DARTH SABER@Mar 26 2006, 08:23 PM

BTW Superjedi, what kind of pain t did you use? water based acrylic, oil based etc.??

Did you add a gloss coating?

DS

I primed with good ol' reliable Krylon gray primer, then I used a color from Duplicolor's 'engine enamel' line called Old Ford Blue (# DE1621) sprayed right outta the can.

It was actually extremely glossy, so I used Krylon satin finish to knock down the shine after I had applied the decals. BTW, my decals were from Phil S. also. He did an outstanding job on them.

Originally posted by DARTH SABER+Mar 27 2006, 12:14 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DARTH SABER @ Mar 27 2006, 12:14 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-temponaut
@Mar 26 2006, 10:11 PM
When the time comes, you might want to drop member philippes a PM.  I believe he makes (or made) a great set of scaled decals for converting the Medicom "Future Car" into a police spinner.
I just recently ordered a set of decals from a guy named Phil (Found out about him on another site)...I wonder if it's the same guy.[/b]
If it's Phil Steinschneider, then it's the same guy. :)

The decals are just one of his many contributions to the Blade Runner community. :thumbsup Among other things, he also did much of the research that revealed the origins of Deckard's blaster, enabling Richard Coyle to create his highly-accurate "C&S" replica. (The "S" stands for "Steinschneider." The "C," of course, stands for "Coyle." :p)

Check out their respective sites for lots of goodies.

Phil Steinschneider: Prop Homepage

Richard A. Coyle: RACProps

Thanks for the tips guys.

I got the decals in the mail yesterday so Im all set to go.

So I take it that I can indeed use Krylon spray paint for the body without worry of damage from the chemicals?

Im thinking of starting on the the painting over the weekend.

BTW, any ideas for the lights?

DS

Just thought Id drop in and give a progress report on the spinner.

1) Took the spinner completely apart and masked off the the desired areas.

2) Spray painted the first coat using Krylon FUSION spray paint (fuses right to plastic, no primer needed. ). I went with a blu that wasn't too light or too dark - "Safety Blue"

3) Waited a day and then hit it with a second coat.

4) Waited a day and hit it with a third and final coat. (Prefect finish IMO.)

5) Today I added the decals

All I need to do is a little touching up with the fine paintbrush (Windshield frame, rims, white sections on the wheel covers, and roof etc.) and Im all done.

ONE MORE THING-

I wanted to point out some tips to those who plan on picking up some of Phil's decals - They are extremely fragile and need to be coated with a light spray of clear semi-gloss laquer .This will strengthen them up pretty good.)

My first decal completely desintigrated when I tried sliding it on the body of the spinner (Luckily I picked up 2 sets of decals from Phil)

Also, when adding the giant decal strip on the back bumper I suggest cutting it into about 4 sections, and then piecing it together on the spinner...It's extremely hard keeping it intact as one giant piece.

Anyhow, aside from that first decal snafu, everything is turning out perfect.

Ill try and post some pics (with my crappy camera) later tonight.

I can't thank you guys enough for the great tips.

DS

Originally posted by superjedi@Apr 6 2006, 10:46 AM
DS,
Excellent.  Looking forward to seeing your pics.
[snapback]1221052[/snapback]​

Thanks Superjedi.

Anyhoo, here are those progress pics I promised -

Still have a lot of work to do with the fine details, and the Spinner isn't assembled yet (all the parts are basically laying on top of each other without screws...You'll notice that the windshield isnt even snapped on to the body yet) -

spinsmall3.jpg

spinsmall2.jpg

spinsmall1.jpg

Ill post more as I get further along.

Thanks agin guys.

DS

DS,
Looking good.. Your pics made me realize I forgot to paint 2 small details on mine. LOL
Oh well. . . guess I'll break out a paintbrush this weekend. :)

Looks great, DS. :eek Very sharp paint work. And lovely decals by Phil. :thumbsup

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the lighting.

DS,
Looking good.. Your pics made me realize I forgot to paint 2 small details on mine. LOL
Oh well. . . guess I'll break out a paintbrush this weekend.

Thanks Superjedi....Let me guess, you forgot to paint the headlights?

BTW, how hard is it to snap the windshield back into place?

Originally posted by temponaut@Apr 8 2006, 05:49 AM
Looking forward to seeing what you do with the lighting.
[snapback]1222384[/snapback]​

Thanks Temponuat, actually Im not very good with electronics so I might just make this a static model. Maybe later on down the road Ill add some working lights.

Anyhow, Im almost done with the painting. Need to paint the oval windows on the sides, then Im moving on to customizing the interior with some wiring, and greeblies.

For the lights on top, Im thinking of looking through some faux jewelry at Micgheals. I beieve Ive seen some rectangualar and oval hemispher jewels sold there.
I also need to find an object to make the rail that holds the one yellow light on the right side. Im thinking of maybe using one of those plastic fasteners (used to hold wiring together).They seem to have the same kind of ridge work that the railing has.

DS

Went out today looking for some greeblies. Here's what i found -

1) Went to Radio Shack and found some Nylon Ties which are the perfect size for the railing metal railing on the side.

2) Went to Micheals and found some mini Xmas light decoration which are the correct size and shap for the tear drop shaoed lightc on top

sample.jpg

DS

DS,
I actually had considered using those zip-ties for that weird rail structure. Have you noticed there are "locator" marks on the body of the Spinner for adding these details? There's also a hole in the top of the fin on the roof. . . as if something is supposed to go there.

Those mini light decorations look really promising. What would you say has to be done to them? Maybe sand a flat surface into it? What are they made from? (sheesh, enough questions already)

And yes, I forgot to paint the headlights on mine. Those odd crescent shaped things on the front wheel pods. :)
As for reassembling the windshield, it wasn't too hard. Just make sure once you snap it back onto the body you check it well for fingerprints. I nearly had the whole model back together when I noticed a nice fingerprint on the inside of the windshield (of course. . .)

Originally posted by superjedi@Apr 9 2006, 02:30 AM
DS,
I actually had considered using those zip-ties for that weird rail structure.

Yeah, it's the best match Ive seen on a found object (actually it's pretty dead on) .Im thinking of building a brace for the ties. If you look at some of the screencaps from the film, there's some kind of structure under the railing (starts just below the oval windows)

Have you noticed there are "locator" marks on the body of the Spinner for adding these details?  There's also a hole in the top of the fin on the roof. . . as if something is supposed to go there.

Yeah, word has it that Mattel was going to make the Blade Runner Spinner but they couldn't get the licence so they passed it on to Medicom for the BTF car. Looks like Matter had everything set up for the lights and railing system.

Those mini light decorations look really promising.  What would you say has to be done to them?  Maybe sand a flat surface into it?

Well Im considering a few possibilities. One would be filing (or cutting) half of the light completely flat. However this poses a problem because it would be very difficult to secure such a small (and round) object while working on it.

Can't use a vice since it would be in the way of the file. Can't hold it with my hands , it would pop right out of my fingers while filing or cutting it.

The other way is , making a small base out of Sculpy and just burying half of the light into it (so that only half of it is visible.)

Any suggestions?

What are they made from?

Solid plastic

As for reassembling the windshield, it wasn't too hard.  Just make sure once you snap it back onto the body you check it well for fingerprints.  I nearly had the whole model back together when I noticed a nice fingerprint on the inside of the windshield (of course. . .)

Thanks, Ill keep an eye out for fingerprints.

DS

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back