McQuarrie Stormtrooper Thread

That is really great work

One suggestion I have would be over the back. You's has the droopy "fettled tumbelhome" we all know and love :lol, whereas it looks like the McQuarrie had a more angled rear section/undercut.

Looking superb though

Cheers

Jez

Sweet. :D :thumbsup

Realizing you're not finished, and that yours is a your own interpretation, AND that each McQuarrie sketch has different details (and none is "real" :lol ), here are my observations, humbly submitted for your consideration.

mcq-trooper.jpg

- I think one key to the McQ "look" is the severe downward curve of the side tubes and "long, flat" face.

- the top dome is very flat, and so is the brow

- the one-piece eye "goggle" has a sharp, inward bevel coming back from the flat surface of the face (not a raised "rim" as on yours)

- the center of the mouth is deeper (vertically) than the sides, by a considerable amount (the top "lip" curves sharply up, the lower lip is parallel to the front edge of the faceplate). note also the texture (or probably engraved lines) on the "floor" of the mouth cutout.

- note how deeply recessed the center "knob" under the mouth is; the lower "lip" of the faceplate is kind of a "hood" over the chin cavity.

- the two downward "plugs" or "aerators" on the chin diverge sharply outward

- although the first two of four McQuarrie concepts (which I reproduced at the bottom for comparison) feature an upward, circular curve at the temples which "bites into" the top cap, other representations show a flat rim to the top cap all around, which, if nothing else, I prefer :D

- in a related issue, the back part of the helmet seems to overlap the faceplate (as tho they were two vacformed pieces), lacking a separate "ear piece" like the final helmet has.

What do you think? :)

- karl

that looks amazing.

I think it will definatly be better as a fibreglass cast rather than vacuum form.
It has really nice, sharp edges and it would be a shame to lose those

Push-ups? I'm not even sure what those are? Well, my football coach - back in the day - wasn't certain I knew what they were, either. So, nothing's changed there... :D

BTW, someone asked about the clay. It's Klean Klay.

Originally posted by isd804@Dec 16 2005, 12:12 PM
Karl, Karl, Karl... :D Everybody's a critic. :D

Well, I am a man of strong convictions. :lol

I see what you're saying... you really did shoot for that "Older Stormtrooper" look as opposed to the concept sketches. Fair enough.

I would point out tho that the "OS" you're referencing appears to me to have been done "after the fact"... not really as a preliminary design sketch prior to 1977, but perhaps as a re-imagining of what an earlier Trooper design might look like. I can't prove that, it just seems logical to me given how different the OS design is from the "Art of Star Wars" sketches.

- k

That is looking the business, Love the concept idea of using Ralph Mcquarrie's art the stormtrooper and Mandalarian concept stuff is very cool. I'll keep watching for updates.

Oh I see... that's your avatar. :p

No, no criticism intended... just pointin' stuff out. :D

I note that even in your avatar, the aspirators point outward, away from a recessed chin piece... in the OS painting they point inward off of the side tubes... as in the final trooper helmet design. That's one of the things I was keying off of. But that sketch your posted last, which is in Art of Star Wars and is definitely pre-production art, does quite closely resemble the OS painting.

Did I mention I like your version as well. :D :thumbsup

- k

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back