Maze Runner Death Cure - WCKD uniform (help)

Frixcon

Hi!
First time making a thread, so Im sorry if I did anything wrong here.

I want to make a replica of the WCKD uniform Newt is wearing near the end of the movie.

Does anyone happen to know what could be used as a good base for this suit?

I've been trying to figure out if they maybe used a specific jacket or overall as base for it, but if so; I haven't been able to find it yet.
If I'd have to make it myself, my best guess would be to take a black and a red overall, and cut/sue em together or something.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Attachments

• 0c2aed8d784e20fe6ad4f5f1cd7fea5910ad1d9a_00.jpg
    0c2aed8d784e20fe6ad4f5f1cd7fea5910ad1d9a_00.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 3,999
  • DS-M7TCWsAAItqi.jpg
    DS-M7TCWsAAItqi.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,928
  • DU5yXYgWsAEOlN2.jpg large.jpg
    DU5yXYgWsAEOlN2.jpg large.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 22,504
  • ec720e9c833a94075aecbd86fb1ab584.jpg
    ec720e9c833a94075aecbd86fb1ab584.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 12,104
After watching the movie last night, I also want to make a wckd costume! Hoping to get better shots of the face mask to model it.

If you're willing to do the modeling work, I have some screen caps of the WCKD trooper costume/helmet from the second film if it will help.
I also saw the final film this weekend, and would like to do the suit.

I'll post up my screen caps later today.

I have some screen caps of the WCKD trooper costume/helmet from the second film if it will help.
I didn't even think to look for shots of the second film.
Haven't modeled anything in a while and this would be the right motivation to get back in to it lol

I apologize for the resolution on some of these. This film had a LOT of darkness/shadows where the WCKD soldiers
were concerned, unlike the 3rd film where you got some good daylight/interior light.

Attachments

• wckd-5.jpg
    wckd-5.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 4,242
  • wckd-4.jpg
    wckd-4.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 2,008
  • wckd-3.jpg
    wckd-3.jpg
    478.6 KB · Views: 1,314
  • wckd-2.jpg
    wckd-2.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 1,012
  • wckd-1.jpg
    wckd-1.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 2,778
Last edited:
I'm also adding a few "costume" shots, so maybe the research gurus can figure out what brand of tac gear/BDUs, etc the soldiers are using.

I'm going to try and get some images from the third film as well, by scouring trailers and promo materials.

Attachments

• wckd-11.jpg
    wckd-11.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 3,514
  • wckd-10.jpg
    wckd-10.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 927
  • wckd-9.jpg
    wckd-9.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 744
  • wckd-8.jpg
    wckd-8.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 1,700
  • wckd-7.jpg
    wckd-7.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 752
  • wckd-6.jpg
    wckd-6.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 706
  • wckd-1.jpg
    wckd-1.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 1,928
  • wckd-2.jpg
    wckd-2.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 2,156
  • wckd-3.jpg
    wckd-3.jpg
    478.6 KB · Views: 1,531
  • wckd-12.jpg
    wckd-12.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 767
  • wckd-13.jpg
    wckd-13.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 1,448
  • wckd-22.jpg
    wckd-22.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,323
  • wckd-21.jpg
    wckd-21.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,393
  • wckd-20.jpg
    wckd-20.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 2,064
  • wckd-19.jpg
    wckd-19.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 630
  • wckd-18.jpg
    wckd-18.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 2,912
  • wckd-17.jpg
    wckd-17.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 1,101
  • wckd-16.jpg
    wckd-16.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 829
  • wckd-15.jpg
    wckd-15.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 3,429
  • wckd-14.jpg
    wckd-14.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 2,465
Last edited:
The "eye" part of the faceplate appears to be a perforated plastic mesh material, IMHO the same type of
material used on the eye goggles on the Netflix movie "Spectral."

In essence it functions like a one way mirror, where the wearer can see out, but nobody can see in.

Last edited:
Adding some shots I took from the Death Cure trailer.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The "eye" part of the faceplate appears to be a perforated plastic mesh material, IMHO the same type of
material used on the eye goggles on the Netflix movie "Specter."

In essence it functions like a one way mirror, where the wearer can see out, but nobody can see in.

Nice, I'll have to watch that soon.

Sorry, meant "Spectral" (the Netflix movie) not Specter (the Bond film). :)

https://propstoreauction.com/view-a...view-auctions/catalog/id/91/?page=1&items=100

It appears that Thomas is wearing a BDU shirt under his tactical gear in a dark urban camo perhaps? Maybe overdyed
to make it more charcoal and less light grey.

*UPDATE: Thomas' shirt appears to be a Propper Brand ATAC shirt:

https://tacticalgear.com/propper-poly-cotton-ripstop-acu-coats-a-tacs-le#/3276/0,11397/1

The shoulder velcro panels match up pretty well as does the color/pattern.

Newt's shirt with the red panels... looks production made. I haven't seen anything like that as far as I'm aware in an off the rack item.

Last edited:
Nice catch on Thomas' shirt. That does seem to be the one, or at least pretty darn close.

I think Newt's shirt has been production made as well. I've been looking for it for about 3 days now, but haven't been able to really find anything similar.

Is it possible that the masks where purchased or have a base at least? In the latest movie theirs a point with around 10 wckd soldiers on the screen at the same time. Did they make 10 identical masks that look that perfectly close to each other for 1 scene or is it more likely theirs a base and only small things where added on.

The design seems pretty unique. It's not unheard of for a costume department to make
many multiples of a prop/costume for production. If you go old school, Starship Troopers
made HUNDREDS of helmet and armor sets. Star Wars: Force Awakens is a more recent
example of this. Could be vacuformed, fiberglass or even resin cast (doubt it's that last
one though). You'd need multiples of a piece to replace those damaged during stunts, etc.

true but I heard that for the second movie a lot of different things where combined vs makeong molds and what not maybe for some of the parts its cast but I think if you look in the right places you could find some of those parts.

I just spent the last 20 minutes or so Looking at a variety of airsoft/paintball/welding masks and nothing comes close to the design in any way.
If I was betting, I'd think that the pieces that run along the sides of the chin would be from a found item, but as I said, NONE of the items I looked at through google generated anything even close. Now SOME items in the costuming are certainly found items, such as the tactical gear/body armor and under uniform parts, but I still feel that the mask is an item they made for production.

Be happy to be proven wrong though. :D

I might be able to help some on this. I worked extensively on The Scorch Trials as the military coordinator and I am in a few of the pics posted. The mask were completely custom made and really uncomfortable to wear. The lenses part of it was a metal perforated mesh. There was a small multi LED light mounted on the right side of the helmet and a small laser pointer on left. Don't know what brand of either was used. The BDU's that we wore were black/blueish multicam with a brown wash that costumes added to it.

During Scorch Trials there were only 20 mask made. They were constantly repairing them as a result. They were all made out of resin, no stunt versions existed.

FullSizeRender.jpg20141117_131211.jpg

Thanks for the heads up, and confirmation!

What made them uncomfortable? The shape? Padding?

The Starship Troopers helmets were designed for appearance, and not really for function, which is why in the film you see people moving the helmets or appearing to tip their heads up because the helmet shape caused the brow to ride low, partially obscuring vision. :)

Thanks again for sharing info!

Last edited:
There was no padding in the helmets, that was the main cause of the discomfort, it would press right up against your nose. Visibility was also really restricted, pretty much could only see what was in front of you. The helmet is basically a half mask. There was no back to it, they were designed to be used with a shemagh that had velcro sewn to it. The shemagh was wrapped around our heads and neck to keep it in place as well as a couple of elastic straps. Plus because of the really cold temps while we were shooting the visors would ice up, fun times!

Please let me know if you guys have any more questions. I'll help as much as I can.

leatherneck Do you recall what brand the uniforms were? I'm guessing Propper but I don't recognize the camo pattern in the first pics you posted though.

Last edited by a moderator:
@leatherneck Do you recall what brand the uniforms were? I'm guessing Propper but I don't recognize the camo pattern in the first pics you posted though.

I can't remember the brand, but I want to say it was Tru-Spec. I'm pretty sure the same camo pattern is used in Jurassic World, if not the same exact BDU's. I thought it was black multicam but looking at the pic now, not so sure. Looks more like a blue urban camo, but costumes did some type of brown wash to them, maybe to take out any white that is in the camo pattern. There were only a couple of days that we were in those during the day. The pics below are kind of washed out, apparently set security isn't that great when you are shooting in downtown Albuquerque.

B2u0W1HIQAARjdN.jpgB2u0W2nIAAAVWNh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Found a couple pics online and tried to lighten them up:

Attachments

• DC1.jpg
    DC1.jpg
    784.2 KB · Views: 3,407
  • DC2.jpg
    DC2.jpg
    706.3 KB · Views: 9,365

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back