Matt's The Amazing Spider-Man 2 suit (First suit + New suit)

May I ask how you got the two shirts sewn together for your first suit? Probably a stupid question, but I'm not very experienced in sewing. Did you literally layer the red parts on top and just sew around the edges to attach it to the blue? It looks too clean to be sewn that way. I don't get it, did you cut the blue shirt to individual pieces?

May I ask how you got the two shirts sewn together for your first suit? Probably a stupid question, but I'm not very experienced in sewing. Did you literally layer the red parts on top and just sew around the edges to attach it to the blue? It looks too clean to be sewn that way. I don't get it, did you cut the blue shirt to individual pieces?
I traced out the patterns on the individual shirts and cut them out. Then I pinned them together and handstitched them and sent them to a tailor.

This is awesome! Great job! The colors are so vibrant, you don't see that with dye subs really. When you use actual colored fabric this method really shows in the final product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the first time i've seen your suit since the last time I posted and man, oh man, am I impressed. Suit looks fantastic. Hope school is going well also.

Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Suit (No prints, 90% homemade)

Hey great build! when you say you screen printed the back spider, did you use plastisol ink? If so, how were you able to cure it?
I figured I'll just dump my second suit progress here.

For my second suit, I took Ken Landrum's free TASM2 suit file, and I split it up to have accurate seams like in the movie. I printed edited versions of Ken's pattern onto paper and cut those and traced them onto the fabric. For the red parts, I used this pattern:

View attachment 500446

And for the blue, I WAS supposed to send the fabric to a screen printer, but they kept telling me that screen printing on lycra is not possible and that it would cost a lot. So I applied a very very thin layer of puff paint to the brick pattern. Here's how I laid the blue sections out:

View attachment 500447

The fabric I used was real cheap. I got mine from a local market, 2 yard of blue and 2 yards of red cost me roughly $6. The red fabric isn't really the best since it's a bit too thin. But I'm thinking that when I start to puff paint it, it would look and feel better.

As you can see, there is no actual printed brick pattern on the fabric on the blue. What I did was I drew them onto the fabric myself using a ruler and a red textile marker. This was the first crotch piece I did, and I actually had to redo this piece since the puffy paint splattered onto the fabric and I made the mistake of spreading it. You can clearly see it here:

View attachment 500445

For the back spider, I did the same technique I used for my last suit. I created my own back spider, screen printed it onto the fabric and puffy painted it. But this time, I outlined the spider with black puff paint before filling it in with red

View attachment 500448 View attachment 500449

For this suit, I installed a lot of zippers for my convenience. In my last suit, I had a hard time getting into the suit and zipping and unzipping myself up. Whenever my foot would itch inside, I'd have to unzip my suit and stretch the legs out a bit so i can scratch my foot through the ankle zip. And the most annoying thing: bathroom breaks. I had to unzip the U-zip and leave it the top part hanging down as I go pee. So, what I did here is I used accurate zipper placements. One zipper on the back of the neck, zippers on each wrist, zippers on the ankles, one zipper going half up the back, a separating zipper on the waist, another small zipper above the butt (so i can get my legs in the pants section since zippers don't stretch), two crotch zippers, and separating zippers at the boots. All in all, there are 12 zippers in this suit. Here you can see the zips of the shirt section. Keep in mind, these were taken when the shirt wasn't finished yet

Half back zip
View attachment 500456

Back of the shirt
View attachment 500455

Wrist zip
View attachment 500454

Waist zip
View attachment 500453

Front of the shirt
View attachment 500452

Neck zip
View attachment 500457

And now for the lenses, I 3d printed Ken Landrum's free flat lens frames fils. I used an old speaker mesh, painted it white and cut it to shape.

View attachment 500460

I then attached a clear plastic to the lens frames first using E6000, and then the mesh
View attachment 500463 View attachment 500462

I attached these to my face shell with magnets. Here's what it looks like:

View attachment 500467View attachment 500468

And then I basted everything since I'm taking this thing to a tailor to strengthen up the stitches. Thankfully the seams didn't pop off when I tried it on.

View attachment 500459View attachment 500458

I will be using my web shooters that I used for my previous suit.

View attachment 500464

And now for a good pic of the suit so far.

View attachment 500465

When the suit is sewn, I will start puffy painting it and adding the shoes in. Stay tuned folks.

Hey great build! when you say you screen printed the back spider, did you use plastisol ink? If so, how were you able to cure it?

I used basic white textile ink to serve as a guide for the main shape and then puffy painted over that. :)

ok thanks! :). Btw, do you know if there are any tutorials/tips on how to sew the suit together?

There's this video on youtube by SpideyPlanet which is a great watch if you don't know how to sew a pattern together :)

Last edited by a moderator:

A million thanks to you, sir! and even more thanks for replying so quickly. Good luck on any other future builds!

Why thank you! And good luck to you too, looking forward to seeing your builds :)

Just wanted to say that I'll be wearing this suit to the Asia Pop Comicon in Manila this coming August. Hayley Atwell will be a special guest, and I do hope I get to see her in person. In light of the con, I'm about to create a new face shell and either make my own more accurate lenses to match with them or just order a pair from TJack.

I made the 3D model using Sculptris. I am no good with 3D modeling, but I tried to get the front half as close as possible to the shape that they had in the film

Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 4.37.35 PM.png

... and lined it up with a pic of the shell. I think it matches up pretty close. Any mistakes can be corrected anyway in the process of fiberglassing.

Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 4.33.40 PM.png

I exported that model to an .OBJ and brought it into Pepakura designer.

Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 4.31.30 PM.png

I truly have no idea how to remove the back part. But the red highlighted part would be what I am only using.

Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 4.46.03 PM.png

Unfolded it, and now to assemble it. But I won't be able to do it that fast because I currently am building two Batman armored helmets for clients. So stay tuned.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 12.29.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 12.29.07 PM.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 148
  • Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 12.09.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 12.09.28 PM.png
    103.1 KB · Views: 153
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back