Master Replicas Surgeon Required!

Ohhhh. That’s good to know. I would bet Obi has none of those problems. It’s one of the earlier ones 2002. Luke was 2006. Any problems just opening the lever along the hinge? Just the glue on the threads? You are right. Got to be careful. You can bend or snap the lever with pressure along wrong angle.

This thread brings back a lot of memories. By sheer coincidence, I stumbled upon dfchang813’s MR review videos, a few days ago, just before this thread began. Love ‘em! Keep it up! I, too, have felt that there’s a serious lack of MR review videos out there.

This thread brings back a lot of memories. By sheer coincidence, I stumbled upon dfchang813’s MR review videos, a few days ago, just before this thread began. Love ‘em! Keep it up! I, too, have felt that there’s a serious lack of MR review videos out there.
Hey thanks man!! Appreciate the kind words!

I’ve only done it with the Luke but all the clamps are identical.

Thanks again for all the advice and insight. I now know exactly what to do. Just a matter of deciding if I have the guts to do it. But you’ve given me all the knowledge and tools. Really really appreciate it!

dfchang813 it appears this issue is common on these Obi-wan sabers. See attached picture of one up for sale right now.

1686754791006.png

Hey thanks guys!! Wow. That’s insane. Three AFB and all with this line at exactly the same place. What are the odds?? Between the 3rd and 4th bubbles. It’s almost like if you don’t have it it may be been replaced.

So I took my AFB and gently tried to open lever. Wow. It is on tight. With very careful inspection I can totally see now how to take it apart but they made it very very tight. Just using fingers the lever didn’t budge at all. I feel like it may take a wrench or clamp to force the lever out and I’m terrified that will scratch or even worse damage the pin.

The lever/bolt was probably overnighted causing the bubble strip to crack and making it difficult to open the lever. There is less tension on the lever once it’s flipped up so if you can gently and carefully pull the lever up slowly once you get to a certain point the tightness should ease.

The lever/bolt was probably overnighted causing the bubble strip to crack and making it difficult to open the lever. There is less tension on the lever once it’s flipped up so if you can gently and carefully pull the lever up slowly once you get to a certain point the tightness should ease.

Sir you have solved the mystery. I’m convinced this is 100 percent the cause of the crack. Maybe not initially but the excessive force at that focal point for 20 plus years will no doubt inevitably cause the crack. And it’s always between the 3rd and 4th bubbles for all of them.

This changes things significantly. I’ve never seen an AFB without this crack. The only one that didn’t have one was from a a scammer who lifted it off an old pic. My guess is that almost all of them have this because at the factory likely they were all subjected to the same number of turns. Who knows maybe a machine did it. ‍♂️

For me at least this changes things significantly. I have no idea how much force would be necessary to force that lever out. And then to also forcibly unscrew it. A lot of things can go wrong and to fix something that may very well be the de facto new normal for this hilt. For now I’ll back off as others have suggested. The risk isn’t worth the gain.

It also like means that your initial idea of breaking the plastic bubble strip and sliding it a replacement would have been very difficult. Both the thickness and the width would have had to be adjusted due to the extra rotation of that central lever screw.

Really cool to have your expertise along with other owners of the AFB step forward to solve such a mystery on a prop that is 21 years old!

Thank you again.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back