Master Replicas AT-AT question

The simple distinguishing factor is the MR stamp on the model.
icon9.gif

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
DARKSIDE72 wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
The simple distinguishing factor is the MR stamp on the model.
icon9.gif

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Those can be doctored easily enough.

DARKSIDE72 wrote:
Why would you add the MR stamp to something you were trying to pass off as an original ILM model?

If the replica has the stamp and you aim to pass it off as the real thing, you'd fill in or otherwise obliterate the stamp.

This is a really good thread, and I'll throw my 2 cents in. There were several AT-ATs built right - 7 or 8 comes to mind. All of them were slightly different from each other - even the ones that were cast off the same molds were detailed slightly differently - I'm cool with the MR one being number 9
icon_wink.gif
If ILM had one laying around during filming I bet it would've made it into the background shots
icon_wink.gif
Lets face it - its Damn close to the real thing. Closer then ANYBODY who has not built there own - and closer then a lot who have. It is a studio scale replica model that is 95% screen accurate. Yes there is room to improve - to a lot of us that's the "fun" part right.

If you take a critical look at this thread as a "review" of the MR AT-AT I think its actaully a ringing endorsment. If the small details that are described above are all that's really wrong with this replica - its pretty damn good...not perfect...pretty damn good...and YES I'D HAVE LOVED IT IF IT HAD THE STOP MOTION ARMATURE INSIDE!
icon_wink.gif
I just hope that they make a ton of money off of it so that they will make more vehicles - I'll certainly get them if they were as good as the AT-AT.
...hint... millenium falcon, Star destroyer, Blockade runner... hint...
icon_wink.gif

Jedi Dade

Regarding the 7 or 8 ATATs made by ILM:
They first made ONE prototype. Then they made THREE stop-motion models for the film.
(plus a large one and several tiny ones.)

Tim

Did they only make ONE large model? I think I read somewhere once that they built to different large models. Not the same size, but one for the wire tripping scene. And the one that falls to the side after Luke had planted the explosive in its belly. And regarding the THREE regular sized models. Did they build any that wasn't stop-motion? Ina t least one scene there is five shown at the same time. Is that a composite or are two of the them just not Stop-motion models?

Cheers
Staermose

STEVE THE SWEDE wrote:
Lynn, Stonky,

No, I will not finish it as an upstanding model. I am however toying with the idea of making a "crashed" walker diorama with it.

I always liked this display!

Besides from that I'll try and see if I can do an improvment on the MR walker factory paint job.

Steve.

Cool Steve! That would make a great display! Besides, it you wouldn't have to do as much work on those Harrier engines to make them work right.
Lynn

According to the large ILM book, they built one prototype and three stopmotion models, and one large one.
If you look at the picture of the table with all the milled aluminum parts, you will see that there are 12 legs.

The upper most part of the prototype leg had two parallel slots and the production model had one diagonal slot.

They appearently also made some resin castings of the ATATs as executive gifts or something.

I believe either Steve Gawley or Don Bies told me that the large model was only detailed on one side.

Tim

Tim,

I thought I had read...on this forum actually... that someone had identified a couple of more AT-ATs by analyzing the paint schemes. I'm by no means saying that you're wrong
icon_wink.gif
I'm just repeating what I thought I had read, and was accepted as true... Regardless if there were only 3, they were still all slightly differently detailed - very close but different. If the MR on represents number 4 I'm still OK with that
icon_wink.gif
Additionally I whole haeartly endorse someone taking an MR and "correcting it" - it seems like it would be a pretty fun project to me
icon_wink.gif
Your analysis of the descrepancies is invaluable for that kind of project... Good eye by the way - some of the details you picked out are really nit-picky - and I admire that
icon_wink.gif
I guess form handling the parts as much as you have you'd notice it more then the rest of us
icon_wink.gif

Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade

Yes, there are more ATATs. The ones I mentioned are the ones made FOR the film. (according to the book)
There is another ATAT that Jon Berg is posing with in the ILM book. That same ATAT can be seen collapsed in the snow (in the same book) and also as a side view in the technical Journals.
Tat model is now on tour (with a different set of legs)

They appearently also made a few models as crew gifts. Steve Sansweet has one. And 10 years ago or so someone told me his mum (who had worked for lfl) had one in a glass case that unfortunately got destroyed by a fire.
I also heard Lucasfilm had a rafle for one in the Fan Club Magazine years ago.

It did take me a while too notice that there was something "wrong" with the MR ATAT. It started when I compared the 4wheel armored car body on the ATAT to the actual kit part. I thought ILM had used the beige car, but MR "used" the grey one. (there are very subtle differences between those two cars)
But since MR appearently did not use any real kit parts, there may have been an ATAT at ILM with the grey car on its butt.

There is a photo of an original walker with the tan car on its back in the ILM book.

Tim

UZth4s wrote:
What do you mean you amnd Moe? Forgot someone you have, I would say?!

Tim

Hey, you're right Tim he did forget but it's more than one.
LM and JF.

Lee

Tim
You've referred a number of times to an "ILM Book." Are you referring to the Chronicles Book, or some other publication? Could you please Explain?

Thanks

Dan

"Vinyl Guy"

staermose wrote:
Did they only make ONE large model? I think I read somewhere once that they built to different large models. Not the same size, but one for the wire tripping scene. And the one that falls to the side after Luke had planted the explosive in its belly. And regarding the THREE regular sized models. Did they build any that wasn't stop-motion? Ina t least one scene there is five shown at the same time. Is that a composite or are two of the them just not Stop-motion models?

Cheers
Staermose

This is the scene I was talking about.
And BTW The ILM book is also a great reference book. It does have some pics that the chronicles don't.

PDVD_030.jpg

The three in the foreground are the three made for the film. The two in the back are either painted polaroids of the actual ones, or smaller models. (according to the Cinefex issue on TESB)

Tim

Seems like this thread has lost a bit of steam. Perhaps we could make it into a "How to" for correcting the MR AT-AT. I think Tims analysis so far is pretty good (actually very good
icon_wink.gif
) but is that everything?

Jedi Dade

I wouldnt.

The WHOLE IDea behind MR is that its a LICENSED COLLECTIBLE.
Thats where the VALUE is.

If you want it ACCURATE to what was filmed...go with the resin kits that are or available or build one!

:)

Otherwise, enjoy what has got to be one of the finest collectibles out there!

Brundelfly

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back