Master Replicas AT-AT question

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by Ketzer.com, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

Does anybody know why Master Replicas did not use any of the original kit parts that ILM used to build the original miniatures?

Tim

2. staermose

staermose Sr Member

Could it be a copyright issue with the makers of the original parts? Perhaps the weren't allowed to use the models parts and had to create their own masters. This is of course just pure speculation.
    I haven't seen a MR AT-AT yet myself, but I was under the impression that they did use the original parts. Did you simply compare the MR parts with the the actual model kit parts?
    Sorry that I couldn't be of any more help, but your post just raised a whole new line of questions for me.

Cheers
    Staermose

3. Lello999

Lello999 Well-Known Member

Hallo

Well, I´m not quite sure if I got the questionright, but I looked it up in my MR AT-AT description. You are right, they didn´t use the original molds used for the film models. I don´t know why they didn´t use them (there is no explanation). But they used an original ILM AT-AT Model, which was scanned and after that it was detailed by some parts that ILM used on the models (it says: ...Our designers also located the hundreds of parts that ILM used to detail the original filming model...)

Perhapse the mold were lost? Could that be the simple explanation?

Happy New Year
    Domenik

4. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

Yes, the description says that they "located" hunderts of parts, but they did not use them:

[​IMG]

Those are the original kit parts next to the MR AT-AT.

Tim

5. STEVE THE SWEDE

STEVE THE SWEDE Sr Member

I'm too are chocked by this news.[​IMG] I was definatly under the impression that molds were taken from the original kit parts and not scratch built by MR. While some of the parts looks OK others look horrible, take the ankel "L's" for example, they miss tons of details. I haven't recieved my model yet but I don't look forward to the task of shaving them all off and replace them with the accurate parts.

Does anybody with the propper knowledge about the real parts have access to the MR model? It should be interesting to see if all details were copied or if some are molds from the actual kit parts.

I realize that most collectors don't think this is an issue to get hung up on but I for one think it's a BIG deal.

Steve.

Antarh likes this.
  6. BobFett

BobFett Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I too am upset about this. I had located most of the kit parts while overhauling the ATATRon but unloaded it when I found out about the MR. To see this really sucks. You would think for the cost of the thing...

What a shame.

7. Spiker

Spiker Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

As far as i know the guys from MR read in these forums. I would be very happy to hear why they actually did not take the original parts. If a representative of MR would post here that they did it because of copyright-issues i would be satisfied. I think by myself that it must be the copyright but it would be fine to hear it from MR.
    The other explanation is that Lucasfilm simply does not want an authentic replica of the model (for artistically reasons).
    Don't have any other logical explanations for this whole thing because it would have been much more easier for MR to simply take the kit-parts than to scratchbuilt them actually.
    So pls MRlers give us the solution.

8. BobFett

BobFett Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

"Our designers also located the hundreds of parts that ILM used to detail the original filming models. Each part was compared alongside the filming model to make sure it was an exact match before being cataloged for use. Our prototyping shop then combined all of this data to create an articulated master pattern that captured all of the details of the original filming model."

9. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

The only way to own a 110% accurate studio scale model is to build it yourself.

10. Stormy320

Stormy320 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I appreciate your attention to detail and desire to get the ATAT as accurate as possible, however, to me based on those pictures you are splitting hairs.

I can't wait to get mine!

11. Rogue Studios

Rogue Studios Well-Known Member

Splitting hairs is what studio scale modelers are all about!! no compromise keep on building my brothers!!.

Lee

12. CaptCBoard

CaptCBoard Well-Known Member

Quoting one of the posts above:

"Our designers also located the hundreds of parts that ILM used to detail the original filming models. Each part was compared alongside the filming model to make sure it was an exact match before being cataloged for use. Our prototyping shop then combined all of this data to create an articulated master pattern that captured all of the details of the original filming model."

This sounds like they did everything except USE the parts in making the masters. They located them, compared them and then cataloged them so that all that data could be used to create a master that "captured" all the detail-- in other words, it LOOKS like the original filming model, but it is not an exact match.

I suspect this is a copyright issue, much like what the SF-3D line incurred many years ago. This is just MR's way of saying nothing untrue or negative about their product. In fact, they have described in very exacting language what they did!

Scott
    CaptCBoard@AOL.com

13. SSRN Seaview

SSRN Seaview Well-Known Member

I have one on order too and would suspect that in manufacturing "x" amount of replicas. You would have to cut some corners or instead of $1199 for each, the price would be closer to $11,999. Plus as its a product for the general public, strength and integrity would be important. Think about how many claims could be made on "it broke off when touched it"....

But as this is the first studio scale replica from MR, it's going to hold its value and appreciate over time like the Solo Blaster.

14. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

What is so difficult about casting the the real parts as part of the main assemblies so the final product ends up being accurate instead of implied? The price would be the same. It's just shortcuts which the average Joe won't recognize.
    And I don't think "copy-write" issues have anything to do with kit bashing.

With a studio scale model "implied" isn't good enough, which is why the few of us nuts continue to do what we do.

15. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

Looks like the whole model was built in 3d and then milled or something... If you look at the two cannons on the side of the head, you will see that one of them is flipped! (only the lower, longer cannon. The upper, cut off cannon is not flipped)
    The cannon is a part from the Tamiya Flak Vierling. That Flak had 4 cannons (vier = four). All four cannons were exactly the same part. There never was a cannon that was flipped.
    That flak also supplied a lot more parts for the ATAT. The tiny rectangular vent holes, the two elongated parts for the inner ankles, some parts for the belly, and the shield on the back of the body. Even those shields were engeneered. Some of teh rivets do not line up.

Look at the long, curved detail near the "hip" of the ATAT (the broken piece in the photo above) and the round piece with the hole on the ankle: Those parts on the MR ATAT are A LOT smaller. Makes me wonder how accurate teh size of the model is.

Tim

16. Spiker

It should be no problem to collect all the parts of the kits used for the AT-AT (as MR quoted they even did it). Most of these Kits are still for sale today and not very rare.
    To make recasts of the original parts from Tamiya and the others used should be no deal + MR would have an 100% AT-AT.
    It should be even cheaper to produce then to scratchbuild the parts. So the only solution must be the copyright-issue or ILM must have their reasons not to allow a buyable copy. Btw copyright-issues have something to to with kitbashing: When MR casts parts from Tamiya and use them for a model which they want to sell they braking copyrights. In the strict sense your even not allowed to scratchbuilt that parts if you want to use them commercial... that could be the answer why the parts all look a bit different then the originals.
    Meanwhile i am sure that it is so, it would be just great to hear a statement from MR...

17. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

If you scratch-build donor parts to resemble a kit part you can do whatever you like with it. If scratch building were an issue with copy-writes then the film studios couldn't do it, as it would be a violation for using the "kit" parts. If it were replication of the kit as a whole then it would be a problem. Many companies have replicated studio models with all the donor kit parts intact. So it's just not an issue.

It seems to me that MR did the scan thing with an ILM model, the result being the implied look of the detail. Instead of replicating the detail with the actual donor parts on a new prototype for casting. Again it's a shortcut for mass production, and it's detail most wouldn't pick up on.

18. star-art

star-art Sr Member

We're getting into uncharted territory here with these mass-produced studio-scale replicas. It's a very good bet that any company could have gotten into trouble for recasting model kit parts for a product like this. They were probably advised by both Lucasfilm and their own attorneys to make facsimiles of the parts.

When a ship is seen on film, no one is likely to notice exactly which parts were used so this practice can slip in under the radar. Back then I'm sure no one ever imagined people like us would be trying to recreate what they had built. I know some of the FX guys think we're a little nuts for even wanting to try! [​IMG]

19. spinner 44

spinner 44 Well-Known Member

Steve,
    I hope you kept your uber detailed ATATRon. It seems that finally you model was much more studio accurate than the licensed one (How many times we'll have to read this[​IMG]! )

And Tim, thank for pointing this issue. I'm afaraid I will not be buying the thing. Too expensive for me for being a model that still need super detailing and upgrading).

Regards

20. stonky

stonky Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If AMT makes a kit for the F16, does the "copyright" for the individual parts belong to AMT or General Dynamics? Does AMT need a license from General Dynamics to make the kit?

21. Spiker

Be sure that AMT needs that license from GD. It is the same with Bburago (DIE-Cast Carmodels) they have licenses from Ferrari, Porsche etc... It is so that Ferrari gives extra licenses for single cars, so is the license for the Ferrari Enzo not at Bburago but at Mattel (Hot Wheels). What i want to say is that its not so easy.
    MR has (in this case) only the license from Star Wars. I don't know if ILM really asked the kit-producers back in 1978 but i could imagine they did. But they probably did'nt ;-)
    MR wants to sell their products, but they need parts from other companies for their products so they have to get a license (even if they only reproduce the parts).

22. STEVE THE SWEDE

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
    spinner 44 wrote:
    <HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
    Steve,
    I hope you kept your uber detailed ATATRon. It seems that finally you model was much more studio accurate than the licensed one (How many times we'll have to read this[​IMG]! )

And Tim, thank for pointing this issue. I'm afaraid I will not be buying the thing. Too expensive for me for being a model that still need super detailing and upgrading).

Regards
    </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

I still have it. The problem with that build was that the main structure that I detailed and rebuilt was to big. Therefore it was hard to get some of the parts to look right, they were simply to small to be used. The harrier parts are a good example, they looked tiny on the AT-ATRON.

I have MR's version on order and I'm still gonna get it. However, I will try and shave off the details and use the correct parts from my AT-ATRON project.

Are the details on the MR version glued on individually or are they just molded in the cast? Their website states that each model is build up from over 200 separate pieces!?

Steve.

23. Dymerski

Dymerski Well-Known Member

this is going to get me in trouble...do you all have to be soooo *??
    It is a mass produced REPLICA, YES A REPLICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and * impressive at that!! I am surprised you are all not mad about not being able to animate it in stop motion!!
    GEEZZZZZ

like I said...I am in trouble now!!
    Dean

24. STEVE THE SWEDE

Dymerski wrote:
    It is a mass produced REPLICA, YES A REPLICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and * impressive at that!! I am surprised you are all not mad about not being able to animate it in stop motion!!
    GEEZZZZZ

like I said...I am in trouble now!!
    Dean

!!?? This is the studio scale forum, right? Yes, we do have to be so *. Trooper helmet and saber threads can go on for page after page beating out the same old issues without anybody thinking it's strange. Why shouldn't we be allowed to do the same thing here!?

As I said in one of my earlier posts, most people won't give a * but some of us DO! Modeling is a completely different animal then prop collecting, it's ALL about the details being 100% right. It doesn't matter if were talking old WW-2 fighter planes or studio scale models from a certain movie, it's still all about the small details.

I think most members here who's been into modeling, studio scale or not can relate to this issue. That's why we have a studio scale forum, to be able to talk and ventilate the little details, that's what this hobby is all about!

I for one think that your post was TOTALLY un necessary, especially when this thread was posted in the STUDIO SCALE forum and not at the regular RPF.

But hey, that's just me.

Steve.

25. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

Steve, I would not modify the MR ATAT. All of the parts are cast with the body parts. Not glued on separately. (the 4 wheel body is separate and the flak shields too, but pretty much everything that does not have undercuts is one piece.
    I think the part count of over 200 parts is due to MR counting the screws and the caps that cover them.

Also, if you look at the photos above, you will see that some of the parts could not be replaces because the MR ATAT is too small (in certain areas)

I still like my MR ATAT. I just do not see why they did not use the real parts. It's not like there will be other companies producing ATATs. So if someone does it, why not do it right?!

Then again, maybe we are up for a new MR AT-AT, more limited, Edition: "As First Built By ILM".

Tim

26. Dymerski

Dymerski Well-Known Member

I for one think that your post was TOTALLY un necessary, especially when this thread was posted in the STUDIO SCALE forum and not at the regular RPF.

But hey, that's just me.

Steve.
    [/quote]
    What does the posting on this forum have to do with the regular RPF?
    Are you saying, that I do not have the experience to post in this forum?

An observation was made
    End of subject

27. STEVE THE SWEDE

No, I do not. I'm not making any judgment at all of your skills, interest in the subject or your right to post in the Studio scale forum. I'm just saying that I thought your post was un-necessary since it wasn't exactly contributing to the discussion.

Tim,

Are there more parts then the ankles, which have the round discs with inserted hex bolts that are undersized? I was under the impression that the walker was made of resin, there fore most of the details should be able to be sanded/milled off. Sure, it's going to need a lot of sweat and filler but this was basicly how I dealt with the details on the AT-ATRON.

Does this sound like an impossible work? Does anybody else have the same plan?

Steve.

28. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

STEVE THE SWEDE wrote:

I have MR's version on order and I'm still gonna get it. However, I will try and shave off the details and use the correct parts from my AT-ATRON project.
    Steve.

Steve, are you giving up on the ATaTron project all together then and not going to finsih it???
    Lynn

29. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

The only other part (so far) that varies in size is on the small "hydraulics" parts that slides up and down under the belly when the upper part of the leg moves. The one that is broken in the picture above.
    Another part that is wrong is the panel with the 4 screws in it on the upper part of the leg: There are two hydraulic pieces that slide up and down on the models in the film. That panel is flush with the two pieces that sluide up and down. So they could never slide ÚNDER that piece.

Tim

30. stonky

stonky Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
    Steve, are you giving up on the ATaTron project all together then and not going to finsih it???
    Lynn

Yes, please don't say that you're not going to finish it!!! Your paint job alone is worth the price of the MR replica.

31. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Agh! With an MR AT-AT on the way, why couldn't you leave me in my blissful ignorance?

j/k, thanks for the comparison photos. It is perplexing.

Is there any chance the donor kits have been retooled over the years, or maybe the MR researchers got kits by the wrong manufacturer?

32. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

Treadwell wrote:
    Is there any chance the donor kits have been retooled over the years, or maybe the MR researchers got kits by the wrong manufacturer?

Nope. I have both, old and new, kits.

Tim

33. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

Dymerski wrote:
    Dean

Studio Scale modeling is PROP building.It's much more extreem than obtaining a Stormtrooper costume or buying a lightsaber hilt. We have to build these models ourselves. Correct dimentions and THE DETAILS are what make the models what they are. One of a kind, perfect replicas of the studio props. Yes, being * is only way to do this.

34. BrundelFly

BrundelFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Good Question.

Easy answer.

MR is composed of a bunch of LAWYERS! Except one.

MR wanted to make sure that a MR Replica was NEVER passed off or sold as "an orginal" its called. COVER YOUR * FOR LIABILITY ISSUES. ILM has also a say in this.

IE.. ILM AND MR gets SUED by Some BONE HEAD cuz he BOUGHT what he thought was a real ATAT and finds out its not film used.

Frivilious? Yes. Will he Lose? Yes. But still at a great expense to the Studio as well as MR.

Remember the RUBIES VADERS? Looked like Crap right?
    Well MB FX actually made them. However MB was told BY ILM to make certian changes and produce them a certain way.

Im not * MB...MR,.ILM.

Its just the SUE HAPPY reality we live in were Studios go to great lengths to protect themselves from litigation as well as protecting thier copyrighted property.

So, you THINK your buying an EXACT replica of a SCREEN used model. But sadly, your not. SO close yet SO FAR.

Brundelfly

35. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

DING DING DING! Bingo! Beat me to it...!

Why did Don Post reverse the color scheme on their deluxe Vader hat? Lucasfilm directive for the above stated reasons.

BrundelFly wrote:

MR wanted to make sure that a MR Replica was NEVER passed off or sold as "an orginal" its called. COVER YOUR * FOR LIABILITY ISSUES. ILM has also a say in this.

36. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

Yes, Don Post and other companies do make changes to replicas so they cannot be passed on as originals, but I doubt that MR replicated these model kit parts from scratch for that reason. THAT would be splitting hairs.

What were they gonna do when someone bought one of their replicas as a real one?! "See those two little rivest on the lower left corner of the left Flak shield on the back of the ATAT, they are about 1/8th of an inch too low. So it should have been obvious that this is a replica".
    RIIIIIGHT!

Even with ALL the original kit parts and ALL the measurements, a replica would NEVER be 100% accurate.

Tim

37. BrundelFly

BrundelFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Tim,
    I agree to an extent.

But like Greg Jein once said to me....
    "its all BS anyway, and YOUR BS is as good as anyone else's"

A replica of a make believe vehicle that doesn't really exsist. Funny we are all so * about it.

The nicest version I have ever seen of it remains the one YOU scratch built Tim.

........that is til you Moe and I finish ours. hehe

Frank

38. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

Thanks. But mine is too small. :-(

What do you mean you amnd Moe? Forgot someone you have, I would say?!

Tim

39. Ivanhotep

Ivanhotep Well-Known Member

What a shame. I would have thought that producing a non-articulate model would be enough to distingish real from repro. Or producting certain parts in patently different materials (you don't have to protect yourself against eBay knuckleheads, just from the high-end auction houses, I would think).

I suppose that's far too reasonable to expect from lawyers, though.

40. STEVE THE SWEDE

Lynn, Stonky,

No, I will not finish it as an upstanding model. I am however toying with the idea of making a "crashed" walker diorama with it.

I always liked this display!

[​IMG]

Besides from that I'll try and see if I can do an improvment on the MR walker factory paint job.

Steve.

41. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

The simple distinguishing factor is the MR stamp on the model. [​IMG]

42. Ivanhotep

DARKSIDE72 wrote:
    The simple distinguishing factor is the MR stamp on the model. [​IMG]

Those can be doctored easily enough.

43. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

Why would you add the MR stamp to something you were trying to pass off as an original ILM model?

44. Ivanhotep

DARKSIDE72 wrote:
    Why would you add the MR stamp to something you were trying to pass off as an original ILM model?

If the replica has the stamp and you aim to pass it off as the real thing, you'd fill in or otherwise obliterate the stamp.

45. Spiker

46. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

Double post sorry...

47. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

This is a really good thread, and I'll throw my 2 cents in. There were several AT-ATs built right - 7 or 8 comes to mind. All of them were slightly different from each other - even the ones that were cast off the same molds were detailed slightly differently - I'm cool with the MR one being number 9 [​IMG] If ILM had one laying around during filming I bet it would've made it into the background shots [​IMG] Lets face it - its * close to the real thing. Closer then ANYBODY who has not built there own - and closer then a lot who have. It is a studio scale replica model that is 95% screen accurate. Yes there is room to improve - to a lot of us that's the "fun" part right.

If you take a critical look at this thread as a "review" of the MR AT-AT I think its actaully a ringing endorsment. If the small details that are described above are all that's really wrong with this replica - its pretty * good...not perfect...pretty * good...and YES I'D HAVE LOVED IT IF IT HAD THE STOP MOTION ARMATURE INSIDE! [​IMG] I just hope that they make a ton of money off of it so that they will make more vehicles - I'll certainly get them if they were as good as the AT-AT.
    ...hint... millenium falcon, Star destroyer, Blockade runner... hint... [​IMG]

Jedi Dade

48. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

Regarding the 7 or 8 ATATs made by ILM:
    They first made ONE prototype. Then they made THREE stop-motion models for the film.
    (plus a large one and several tiny ones.)

Tim

49. staermose

staermose Sr Member

Did they only make ONE large model? I think I read somewhere once that they built to different large models. Not the same size, but one for the wire tripping scene. And the one that falls to the side after Luke had planted the explosive in its belly. And regarding the THREE regular sized models. Did they build any that wasn't stop-motion? Ina t least one scene there is five shown at the same time. Is that a composite or are two of the them just not Stop-motion models?

Cheers
    Staermose

50. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

STEVE THE SWEDE wrote:
    Lynn, Stonky,

No, I will not finish it as an upstanding model. I am however toying with the idea of making a "crashed" walker diorama with it.

I always liked this display!

Besides from that I'll try and see if I can do an improvment on the MR walker factory paint job.

Steve.

Cool Steve! That would make a great display! Besides, it you wouldn't have to do as much work on those Harrier engines to make them work right.
    Lynn