Master Replica Vader FX grips are very sticky

My grips have been sticky for years but I haven’t bothered to fix it.
Not a brag by any means but in 2012 I owned a Ferrari 348. Bought when they were at their absolute cheapest. They as well as some of the later models are notorious for getting sticky switches throughout them. Of course all of the items were a rubber coated type switch or cover. There are dedicated services that will remove the stickiness. I would venture to think it is some sort of urethane that eventually breaks down. The stickiness is very similar to uncured urethane. It would make sense that alcohol would work since that effectively cuts urethane. Acetone may do the same thing but you would have to be very careful with it.
Never heard of this before, very interesting!

I purchased my Master Replicas Lightsaber back in 2005 and the black plastic parts were so greasy and sticky I thought it was not salvageable. It was really awful, I used the above method and the results are amazing.

thank you to everyone who has been contributing to this thread.
You are MOST Welcome! Glad it went well and I was able to help! :)

That's what I LOVE about Communities like ours... People learning new tips and tricks for things and instead of "Hording" them like I've encountered in various "Modeling" groups I've belonged to, People actually SHARE their stuff with everyone!

To ME that's really what it's all about!

Usually here the only hoarding is of information and that is okay, with me, because they are getting their parts or whatever first. In most cases after they and all of their friends, :lol: , have theirs, they will share it with everyone else. There are still occasionally cases of "That SOB is sitting on the donor gun and won't tell anyone because they want to have the only one!", but rarely.

Found this forum and thread a bit late (found retrospectively on Google)! I recently discovered the same issue on the grips of both my MR Vader and Anakin savers. I used Autoglym plastic and rubber cleaner/restorer applied with a lint free cloth to clean them, finished with a microfibre cloth to polish up. Whilst it took a bit of effort, both are now clean and as good as new. Am monitoring to see if they continue to break down, but so far so good.

Found this forum and thread a bit late (found retrospectively on Google)! I recently discovered the same issue on the grips of both my MR Vader and Anakin savers. I used Autoglym plastic and rubber cleaner/restorer applied with a lint free cloth to clean them, finished with a microfibre cloth to polish up. Whilst it took a bit of effort, both are now clean and as good as new. Am monitoring to see if they continue to break down, but so far so good.
As long as you removed the rubber coating completely, there will be no more sticky grip problems

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back