Mass Effect M-12 Locust SMG build finished 3/9/13 page 3

Re: Mass Effect M-12 Locust build WIP !

Nice progress!

What tools are you using for the different cuts we have seen so far? The bevels and panel lines look nice and clean.

Nice progress!

What tools are you using for the different cuts we have seen so far? The bevels and panel lines look nice and clean.

Thanks ! as far as the panel lines go, since I made it in layers, I just cut the outer layers into the separate parts with a scroll saw and lined them up accordingly. (I hope that makes sense) For the panel lines that I did carve in, I scored the line with a hobby knife first, then used a flat tipped needle file to carve the line. The bevels were just done by hand with a Dremel and a sanding block. I included my main tools in the picture.

Tonight I added a spine to the top of the rear stock and made the bevels with Apoxiesculpt. Little by little, I am making progress.

View attachment 139663

I've been down sick/injured the last couple days so tonight was the first chance I had to work on the Locust since my last update. I rebuilt the sight rail completely, work on the front grip some, notched the top of the stock, and worked on the butt plate. I can see in this picture that I need to straighten up some of my bevels too. I hope to get some primer on it this week !

View attachment 140244

So, what parts are made of sintra? I am extremely interested in using the material, and I'm curious as to how you used it in this project.

OK, so I heard the edges of sintra are sort of porous, like the edges of a foam board. Is this true? Did you just bondo of the edges?

OK, so I heard the edges of sintra are sort of porous, like the edges of a foam board. Is this true? Did you just bondo of the edges?

They are a little porous , not nearly as bad as foam board though. it sands pretty smooth and using primer along with fine sandpaper has worked well for me. It's really easy stuff to work with and often you can get scraps from sign shops for a good price !

Thanks ! If all goes well, I may be casting this if there is interest. Right now I'm just trying to get this thing done before Momocon in a month.

I may be interested, depending on price and timeline. :) I'm looking for an SMG kit for my Aria costume.

You have no idea (well maybe you do) how cool this is. I love mass effect. Again really great job!!

Made a little more progress on the front end with the laser sight and barrel. I'm starting to feel really crappy again so it's bed time. I'll be glad when I'm done with the fabrication..... almost there !

View attachment 142360

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back