Mass Effect 3: N7 Breather v2

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Yodajammies, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

When Mass Effect 2 came out I got a commission for the N7 breather that Sheppard and some of his crew wears out on missions. Recently I resurrected that project with the goal of restoring the original piece, remolding, and doing a quick run of 10. Now I never was completely satisfied with the overall scale of the piece (it felt a little too bobbleheady), and with the subtle tweaks made for mass effect 3, I've decided to go ahead and completely recut a new helmet. At this point I could spend just as much time patching, repairing, and otherwise salvaging the first version OR I could craft a new piece that's even better than the original. Armed with what I learned from the first build, this one should go much more smoothly and end with an even better product.

Fear not INT thread, I've set aside the week after St. Pattys and we should still be on our original timeline for shipping casts. If this won't work for yall, send me a PM and we'll figure something out.

Original helmet -
    [​IMG]

Old and busted (The last cast from the old mold) -
    [​IMG]

New Hotness -
    [​IMG]

And as always, the illustrious CGJeff will be cranking out the high res 3d model for milling this saturday.

Stay tuned!

2. cosmic_x

cosmic_x Well-Known Member

Very-very nice!
    Dont have anything against a better version, even if that means waiting little longer.

But please dont make it smaller than the previous one.
    Also since most of us are going to light it you may can take this into account

3. AnotherChris

AnotherChris New Member

I'm very patient. Obviously I don't claim to speak for everyone, but my $.02 is that you can take as long as you need for new hotness. :D

4. Aus Askar

Aus Askar New Member

Wow, looking awesome. Those renders in particular look pretty mean.

5. Tarchinoko

Tarchinoko Well-Known Member

Youve got competition for who can make the most detailed bucket ;)
    im a bit ahead of you right now but i think with your fancy cnc you'll be right on my tail in no time :p
    and the colour scheme in that render is sooooooooo beautiful!
    if you dont mind i think ill be painting mine that way when im finished :p

6. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

That's actually ripped right from the game. Any color variations are done dynamically in the engine, so if you're looking for the original scheme - THAT'S it.

Your sculpt is coming along beautifully! Don't rush it on my account.

7. Tarchinoko

haha no rushing is going on, I HAVE to work on this slowly because im away most of the time at boarding school. that render is perfect tho, ive always found it hard to get shots of the detail from all around :lol

8. Kris Lyssara

Kris Lyssara Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Any chance that you'll be able to do one with a removable faceplate, since that's the only difference between the base helmet and the breather helmet? While I'm interested either way, if you could do the faceplate as removable (so that I can switch between versions, not just take it out in the initial prep) it'd probably be a definite buy for me and others.

My only concern is that it won't be big enough for my head; how large do you anticipate the bottom opening being? Anything less than 7 1/4" wide is too small for me.

9. darkchylde80

darkchylde80 Well-Known Member

More than happy to wait for additional hotness!

10. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

So we're flying by the seat of our pants here on this build. CGJeff knocked out the 3d model in two days, and I've spend the past couple hours tweaking, chopping it up, and generally destroying his hard work.

Using the in game model, I dialed in the proper size for the milled part. This always has been the most difficult point in the process for me because if the scale is off the entire part, a lot of time, and a lot of money are wasted. The human analog in this shot has been scaled to 73".

[​IMG]

The finished high definition 3d model.

[​IMG]

The same model chopped all to bits to run on the mill.

[​IMG]

I'll be up early in the morning to run this part so I should have a couple new progress shots by sunday. Huzzah!

11. cosmic_x

oh, this is very hot!

12. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I haven't played any of the mass effect games. I own 2 for the ps3 but I just never got around to actually playing it cause I barely touch my ps3 for some reason. Stupid 400$ paperweight.

That being said... HOLY CRAP THAT LOOKS AWESOME!

Chris

13. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

Mill baby! Mill!

[​IMG]

14. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

Oh wow! I'm a finalist for Hurricane Laser's 5k$ give away! Support your fellow prop maker and vote for me, Eric Jarman - WIN $5000 IN UNCLE SAM GIVEAWAY

Thank you in advance! You guys are awesome!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  15. cosmic_x

Just voted for you Eric, itlooks you are Nr. 1 so far :cool

16. rashielx

rashielx Active Member

Hell yes to anything Mass Effect, looks amazing so far

17. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

Apologies for the radio silence. The 9 to 5 has kept me up to my eyeballs in work.

I finished up the mill job, got the major parts assembled, and hit it with a quick bit of paint. Viola.

It's still pretty rough at this point. The spoil board on the mill wasn't properly fixtured down so a lot of the errors on the front are because of that. It did made an interesting ring pattern on the part that I wish I had taken pictures of. Hmm.

So, I figure it'll take about a week or so to whip this bucket into shape and get it ready for molding. If I haven't updated by next weekend give me an earful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Sanek94cool

Sanek94cool New Member

Oh, that's N7 just so awesome!!

19. darkchylde80

darkchylde80 Well-Known Member

20. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

Story of my life - Sand, patch, sand, patch, tweak, sand, putty, patch....

[​IMG]

21. Bowelrock

Bowelrock Sr Member

MIB2 reference made me laugh! Great job on the helmet. Reminds me allot of the Necromonger helmets from The chronicles of Riddick

22. Canobi

Canobi Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is one very nice helmet :thumbsup

23. SqueekinOrka

SqueekinOrka Well-Known Member

That's turned out awesome! Great work and very inspiring as I hope to be building one soon.

Keep up the great work :)

24. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

Grainy cell phone shot or not, we're getting close to being done on the sanding side of the N7. Decals, detailing bits, a couple laser cut parts, and we'll be all set to mold this puppy.

[​IMG]

25. cosmic_x

sweeeet!

this is so much better than the previous version, glad Im getting one!

26. Sirnfet

Sirnfet New Member

Are you still only going to produce 10 of them? :/

27. cod289722

cod289722 New Member

holy crumoly. that is by far awesome! very very awesome! can't wait to see it with paint!

28. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

Sirnfet - For the time being I'm only going to do 10. By the time I get those out the door, I'll need a break from casting the same thing over and over and over. Give it a month or two and I'll do another run for anyone else who wants one.

29. cosmic_x

Come on Eric, shows us some love mate, im sur you have an update

30. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

The ears are in, the mouth is in, I'm just waiting on a couple laser cut parts to get shipped out and this mother will be done.

I'll post up shots tonight when I get home.

31. Tarchinoko

id love to see your take on some of the details, im currently finishing up ears and moving onto finishing the back :)

32. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

The back was tricky in the last build, and it's being tricky in this one as well. I'm trying to decide whether I want to fabricate the back engravings/slits, or just leave the concentric rings smooth - they look pretty nice that way.

And of course, because it's on the back and often out of sight, it gets less lurv than the rest of the helmet, and needs a little more work before I call it a day.

Other than actually installing the ears, and a couple sanding tweaks here and there, this helmet is DONE! Once the laser cut parts get here, we'll pop those on, build up the clay walls, then on to molding. I'm already a week behind in this build, but I figure if sanding is all that's left to do while I wait, this bucket should be glass smooth by the time I'm done with it.

I do have some slight concerns about the "head hole." I'm going to widen this aperture as much as I can without compromising the integrity of the design. If worse comes to worse, we can trim a bit of the skull back details, and there should be no problem popping it on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

33. BikerScout

BikerScout Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's turning out really nicely! You know I'm gonna want one of these :D

34. Tarchinoko

yeah id suggest trimming out a bit of width from the inside of the ear cups, thats my plan as well because the width was a bit of a snug fit on my one. Bit of hack and slash required :p

35. JediCarl

JediCarl Well-Known Member

Yes, PLEASE!

36. Dainbramage546

Dainbramage546 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'd definitely get one of them!

37. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

Alright this is the last week I'm working on the N7. Whatever tweaks and polishes I can get in before friday, great, but then it's going under rubber. This has been taking up space on my workbench for far too long, and I'm sure everyone that put their cash on the barrelhead is tired of waiting for their copy.

[​IMG]

38. Palendrome

Palendrome New Member

Looks amazing! If only I knew how to 3d model :p

39. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

Progress!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

40. zanderwitaz

zanderwitaz Well-Known Member

Go Eric go!

41. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

You know what, I changed my mind. I'm just going to coat the helmet in a nice thick layer of milk chocolate and call it an "art piece."

[​IMG]

42. cosmic_x

You know what Eric,

we saw that in FB already :D

Now show us some casts plz :)

43. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

MoldMax has a ridiculous cure time so this mold is taking forever and a day to make. I'd like to get one more layer on tonight before jacketing, but we should have a solid start into the other side by sunday.

44. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

Fem Sheppard does not approve of the new DLC casual wear.

Oh, and I finished the mold and started pulling copies. Bout time right?

[​IMG]

Mold interior before trimming.

[​IMG]

The first cast out of the mold. I tried blending in aluminum powder to play around with cold casting but I think the pigment that was also tossed in really killed the metallic effect.

[​IMG]

45. Pipersaurus

Pipersaurus New Member

Amazing! Definitely ready to take on the Reapers!

46. Popeanator

Popeanator Active Member

This is awesome, but could you explain more about how you milled it out originally. What materials did you use ect. I looks awesome and the process looks easier then some. Any information would be great as i'm a complete noob.

47. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

Once everything is said and done, I'll be doing a full write up that hopefully should answer any questions you have.

48. booksandcorsets

booksandcorsets Well-Known Member

Looking really good!! The edges came out extremely sharp and crisp.

49. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

Are you just about to finish Mass Effect 3 and you don't know what ending to choose? Don't worry! We here at JARMANPROPS have everything you need to color coordinate perfectly with whatever terrible ending you choose!

[​IMG]

50. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Hahahahaha......Awesome work!!!!