Masks that are supposed to be like a second face?? UPDATE- SCULPT CRITIQUES PLEASE!!!

GBrittelleJr

Something like this:
1267316-madman1.png

How would I go about making a mask like this to where I can move my mouth, raise my eyebrows, etc?? I can't do prosthetics, as it has to be a one piece mask.

Any suggestions??? Thanks!

Greg

Last edited:
Re: Masks that are supposed to be like a second face??

silicone. google silicone masks, theres loads out there; and theres quite a few guys on here who can help out.

silicone would be the way to go. ecoflex 0030 is good. you can tint it any color you want. it comes in transparent without tint.

smooth-on sells it and the tint for it.

Well, are there any web sites that might have some info on making them? Or could anyone lend a helping hand and actually tell me some techniques? Thanks.

Learning something new requires trial and error. I don't think learning a new skill could be called easy by any honest person. It requires patience and willingness to make mistakes and learn from them. It is a lot of fun, though.

Smooth-On has a lot of photo and video tutorials on their site. Check 'em out.

Start off with a life-cast so it will fit your face perfectly. Here are some life-casting videos on Smooth-On's website:
Making a Mold of a Face Using Alja-Safe Alginate
Lifecasting A Face Using Body Double

Here are some other videos that might be what you are looking for:
Using Silicone Rubber to Make Masks and Gel-Filled Appliances
Using Dragon Skin FX-Pro to Make a Gel-Filled Zombie Appliance

The FX Lab is also a great resource.

I really appreciate that. I can do latex castings, but not silicone yet. I have a smooth-on distributer in town, so I'll get over there.

Again, I really appreciate the help.

if you are doing latex casting , you are already halfway there.

degassing helps but it is how you make your mold also on how airbubbles get trapped.

basily a degassing chamber is a pot or 5 gallon metal pot with a thick clear plastic lid and a guage and a valve that is hooked up to a vacuum pump. you put your mixed silicone in and let run for a few mintues to get the airbubbles out of the silicone. it will take care of most air bubbles.

you could make a cheap one with a 5 gallon bucket and shopvac.

MRB is a master at the Silicone Mask, search for his Red Skull. I have a silicone Darth Maul mask and when applied to my face using skin tight adhesive, you can see when I raise my eye brows, full mouth movements etc. The mask has to be a good fit to your face though

Wouldn't that implode? I was under the impression that the vessel had to be pretty stout.

my vacuum chamber is a 3 gallon stew pot with a thick acrylic lid hooked to my vacform table............i did not want to buy a seperate pump for the chamber.

MRB is a master at the Silicone Mask, search for his Red Skull. I have a silicone Darth Maul mask and when applied to my face using skin tight adhesive, you can see when I raise my eye brows, full mouth movements etc. The mask has to be a good fit to your face though

thanks, man.

yes with alittle adhesive silicone masks move like real skin.

So I had a thought- could I make a silicone face appliance and glue it to a spandex mask? That way I would have the breathability of spandex, but with the edges feathered I could blend them into the fabric? Thanks for the help.

Please, help and critique as much as possible!!

So here's the deal- his mask is supposed to look like a face, with all the features, but somewhat more subtle as it's a mask. Allred draws fewer features on Madman that normal humans. And therein lies the delima- how do I sculpt an ALMOST accurate, yet smoothed out face?!

Here's what I have so far-
3f1e2507.jpg

92c6d137.jpg

41138f94.jpg

I'm not seeing what I want. To me, it still looks cartoony. Could anyone please give any pointers? I could really use any tips or critisim to get this where it should be. I can post more reference photos if necessary.

Thanks!!

Re: Masks that are supposed to be like a second face?? UPDATE- SCULPT CRITIQUES PLEAS

your brows are to pronounced very robotic lookin try to keep it smoother with less hard edges

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back