MASK props?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by MegaPrime33, Jul 25, 2006.

1. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Anybody ever wanted to get one of those helmets from MASK? I know I did. You know I'm surprised no one has done any of these before. Or have they?

2. Macrossmaster

Macrossmaster Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(MegaPrime33 @ Jul 25 2006, 08:08 AM) [snapback]1287300[/snapback]</div>
    As much as I depise "Hey, I wanna see that too." posts....er, I wanna see that too. LOL...

Actually as a kid, I was very interested in the "communication watches" they all wore to alert them to return to Boulder Hill. Anyone made (or thinking of?) making one of these? ;)

3. JRX

JRX Well-Known Member

... Ohhh I'd really LOVE to have a Cliff Dagger "TORCH" Mask - that for me always was
    the coolest looking of them all ... that Mask just looked so * cool somehow ...

[​IMG]

... oh boy - I wish I had all my MASK Toys back now ... I had them all back then ... :(

4. trekkieb47

trekkieb47 Well-Known Member

My Dad has all of the MASK toys... ALL of them. Most still in their packaging. I wondered why no one has done those helmets yet.

Berry

5. Jumpin Jax

Jumpin Jax Sr Member

Oh dear..........that's such a cool idea it makes me sick.... Talk about a childhood dream.

6. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

I hadn't thought about Mask in a long time, but yeah... Mask helmets would be pretty cool. I've never seen any wearable replicas... that does seem odd know that I think about it. I wonder why no one has tackled this.

7. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

anyone got a shot of the main guys helmet? man that car was so cool, i totally had that thing, lol

8. B-Movie Zombie

B-Movie Zombie Sr Member

Good idea. I can not remeber his name but the one bad guy that rode the motorcycle - that was a cool helmet. Plus Condor Helmet - Good guys Motorcycle was also cool.
    good times, good times.

9. MegaPrime33

I got the idea from seeing a SW helmet of a trooper that sort of resembled Matt Tracker's helmet. I thought it would be awesome for someone to create them, so I posted the idea here. I've been trying to look for screen caps of the show for the helmets, but so far none of them are big enough or clear enough.

10. JRX

JRX Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Kylash327 @ Jul 25 2006, 04:41 PM) [snapback]1287381[/snapback]</div>

Matt Trakker and his Spectrum Mask ...

spectrum.jpg

[​IMG]

1junglist likes this.
  11. MegaPrime33

Here's another shot of it from the cartoon

[​IMG]

12. JRX

JRX Well-Known Member

... ahhh heck ... right now I really want to give that Torch Mask a try .... got ..to .... resist ..... no ... time .... :D

13. arek

arek Active Member

Who's up for making a 1:1 scale T-Bob?

14. Scapey

Scapey Sr Member

There used to be a child-size wearable Miles Mayhem mask available in the shops - It was a voice-changer that also squirted water.

15. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

LMAO talk about a blast from the past post :lol

16. Ramiel

Ramiel Sr Member

This was one of my favourite cartoons in the 80's (for this reasom me and a good friend of mine are developing a movie adaptation of this cartoon... With Keifer Sutherland as Matt Tracker and Jhon Travolta as Myles Mayem... Silly? :D )
    If someone will make wearable helmets of the main characters I think I will cry.

17. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

I've scanned my first promo comic of MASK - the cover has very clean and nice sketch of Matt Trakker's Spectrum, which you never got to see in the comics or cartoon - man. I'd love to see the helmet in real.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Arrgh. They've scaled them down - I've got them bigger in size.

BTW: Did you know that the character are based on real people?

Like Lech Walesa as Miles Mayhem?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And Frank Zappa as Sly Rax?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Billy Idol as Floyd Malloy... he even got that lips-up thing :eek:
    [​IMG]

18. MegaPrime33

Bumping this to hopeful gain more attention at a possible run at one of these helmets.

19. FETTCLONE

FETTCLONE Well-Known Member

Still working on a Robotech helmet sculpt right now, but this would be fun to tackle after that. I still remember watching it on Saturdays, and thinking Matt Tracker and Brad got the better vehicles out of the deal. I mean, who doesn't want a helicopter/motorbike?. :lol

Consider it well on my radar. I'll probably take a run at it right after this Robotech helmet gets well on it's way. :angel

20. MegaPrime33

<div class='quotetop'>(FETTCLONE @ Jul 26 2006, 08:01 AM) [snapback]1288101[/snapback]</div>
    Woohoo. Please keep us updated. :)

21. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

*bump* anything new on this sweetie?

22. Ramiel

Ramiel Sr Member

Yes please, we want news. :)

23. turok96

turok96 Well-Known Member

I would also like to see anything from made from mask. I myself had the orange dune buggy as a kid. Man, this brings back memories. :)

24. FETTCLONE

Nothing new to report just yet, still clearing a few other projects off the table first. Any consensus on which helmet people want done first? I was thinking Matt Trakker to start with, and see how things go from there. I hope to get started on a sculpt pretty soon, but don't want to snow myself under with good intentions along the way.

Thoughts on helmet choices? I seem to have a large cranium myself, so if it fits me it should fit most others. Are we looking for room for fans, amps, etc? Also, clear or tinted lense (I'm thinking thin acrylic formed under heat)? Share your ideas and we'll get something on the go.

25. Jumpin Jax

Jumpin Jax Sr Member

Seems only fitting to do Trakker's basic model first :) Next should be Miles Mayhem's with the huge front lenses.

26. FETTCLONE

I'm finding a lot of good reference on the front of Trakker's spectrum mask. Anyone have closeups of the back of the mask? I don't know if it's smooth or not, and I'd hate to miss a big detail back there. Any straight-on closeups of the toy helmet would be great, though I'm finding a lot on the cartoon-style helmet.

27. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

[​IMG]

EDIT: Ok, I've converted the pic in JPG - that's the clearest and cleanest drawing of Spectrum along with Matt's head to estimate the size, if you assume he's 6'.

28. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

Got to manage to upload the pic - is the clearst reference pic enough?

29. FETTCLONE

Looks great, but what I'm really missing is any info on how the back of the helmet looks (pics, screencaps from episode, even closeups of the toy helmet). I want to know if it's just a smooth curve, or if there's any surface detail on it. I'm finding lots of side and front shots so far but nothing showing the back yet. I should be picking up supplies to make a head and shoulders bust of myself next weekend, so sculpting should follow not long afterwards.

I appreciate the reference help, guys.

30. juno

juno Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

31. FETTCLONE

Killer. Thanks Juno. :thumbsup I'd been there but hadn't noticed the screencaps area. This is bound to help out. So many to look over... I'll let you know when I've got it.

32. Ramiel

Ramiel Sr Member

This could be a nice display...
    [​IMG]

Front...

[​IMG]

3/4 side...

[​IMG]

Back...

[​IMG]

Thanks Juno for the link :)

33. FETTCLONE

Got 'em too. My computer's a little slower, though. Thanks to both Juno for the link and Ramiel for the grabs. I think we have what we need for this one, and clearly some good references for the rest. Good teamwork, guys.

Do the orange rings around the neck seem like hard parts, or a softer material? LMK what you think.

34. Ramiel

Ramiel Sr Member

I'm sure everything (except the "neck") is hard. :)

35. FETTCLONE

I'm in agreement. ;) I've got a few ideas on how to tackle the neck, but I'm also open to suggestions if someone knows the "best" way to achieve this result.

36. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

Yeah in some comics you could see, how Matt turns his head and the mask moves with it and I don't have any clue how this could be applied on the real Spectrum...

37. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

While I was wandering randomly through RPF, I found some similarities between the Spectrum and the Speeder Bike mask from SW, found in the SoCal Prop party thread.

[​IMG]

Especially the visor, eye-shield and the front mouth piece, but more modified...
    What do you think?

38. FETTCLONE

I noticed the similarities as well, and thought I might take a few cues off those angles (this does not mean recast for those keeping score ;) ). Good to see others noticing as well, because it means I'm not crazy... mostly. :p

39. Wickerness

Wickerness Well-Known Member

This looks like it would be an awesome project.
    I agree you would probably have to do the leaders first.

Hondo McLean's mask would be good too. Being a half mask might be a little easier.

Brad Turner's (the MASK agent with the motorcycle/helicopter) would be the one that I would really want. He was the first one that I bought and my favorite for the longest time.

I agree the Cliff Dagger's Torch helmet looks pretty cool. I would also liked Sly Rax's Stiletto mask. Might be that he was my first Venom toy though. He was one of my favorite characters on the show.

40. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wickerness @ Jan 14 2007, 05:17 PM) [snapback]1397270[/snapback]</div>

great thread. how did i not see this before?

life size t-bob? :lol

and yeah brad turners suit and vehicle were the coolest lookin.

the torch mask would be a good start, cool looking but not much to it, jesper could probably sneeze on some sculpey, and voila. B)

41. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

BUMP Any news?

42. Wickerness

Any news?

43. Gruson

Gruson Well-Known Member

Nice thread and the masks did rule.

Best theme song to a cartoon ever.

Masked Crusaders, working overtime,
    Fighting crime! Fighting crime!
    Secret raiders who will neutralise,
    as soon as they arrive, at the site!

Trakker's gonna lead the mission,
    And Spectrum's got such su-per vision

:)

44. jackdoud

jackdoud Sr Member

A few animated gif's for your enjoyment:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

45. FETTCLONE

Sorry guys, not much happening yet. I'm still clearing a few projects and trying to finish my clone for C4, so things are on the back burner for the moment. Planning to get back to it afterwards, though.:)

Sorry, I missed the earlier bumps or I would have updated you sooner.:$

46. renzaijh

renzaijh New Member

Check out this TV commercial for M.A.S.K. toys using actors and props (including Matt Trakker's Spectrum mask as seen below):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Re0jBNL5VA

[​IMG]

Wonder what happened to these props.

47. Boba Binks

Boba Binks Well-Known Member

I had so many of these toys as a kid. Wish I still had them.
    I have all the cartoons on DVD.

I would love to have not only the MASKS of MASK but the costumes as well. Maybe throw in a few vehicles.

Man the memories.

48. Ramiel

Ramiel Sr Member

I still have the toys (even the volcano/base... Well is not a wise thing to put a gas station at the feet of a volcano, but... :D )
    But I have to agree... A costume would be so cool, and a Matt Tracker costume should be really easy to do... Except for the mask, of course...:)

49. sctcarts

sctcarts Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Man, I always got bummed as a kid that they never did a live action version of this-would have been awesome!

50. Wickerness

The watch would be good prop as well.

Cool thing about MASK... You don't have to be a skinny buff guy to dress up like one of the characters and still look the part.

I would have get the mask before even starting on the rest of the costume. The costume just wouldn't work without the mask.