Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

I thought it was a great episode, back on form for AoS.

Quick question though, why are we getting the film in the UK 8 days before you guys? I'm not complaining just curious :lol

No real idea. The purported rationale is piracy. Not sure how piracy is rewarded if everyone gets it at once, but that's their ridiculous rationale for it.

Maybe Fury?

I think if it were Fury he'd just walk in and say, "Gimme the damn blueprints and toolbox."

Inhuman transformations > Strucker's research > Scarlet Witch+Quicksilver

The way the blind Inhuman ("Gordon") was moving around at the beginning go the episode reminded me of how Quicksilver moves around in the AoU trailers. I wonder if that will be used as some sort of tie in to AoU? We know they are not sticking to canon in AoU. But, I think the tie in will be the Hydra battle at the beginning of the movie and nothing more. I guess us Americans will have to wait until April 30 to really find out (unless someone from the UK spoils it early).

Word is that the cast members of Agents of Shield will have cameos in Age of Ultron. So the tie ins should be pretty strong.

I can't help but think that the scene where Gordon is "bamf"ing around the room is Marvel Studio's way of saying, "See? We don't need mutants when we've got Inhumans."
Maybe they can buy off Hugh Jackman to play a new Inhuman with claws. They can call him the Honey Badger.

My impression was "We can't legally use the word mutant, so we're calling the mutants Inhumans for TV and film."

I enjoyed the episode too. Hiding Skye's powers seems contrived though, and not really necessary.

How is it exactly that someone can own the word mutant? Surely that word was around before the X-men comics. If I make a movie about a washing machine, does that mean no one else can use that word?

Cover Art for next week's episode has been released...

marvel-agents.jpg

My impression was "We can't legally use the word mutant, so we're calling the mutants Inhumans for TV and film."

I enjoyed the episode too. Hiding Skye's powers seems contrived though, and not really necessary.

Well, I believe after the first Xmen flick, someone made a knock off TV show that ran for years called Mutant-X. So unless Fox knocked themselves off, it's not legalities.

Well, I believe after the first Xmen flick, someone made a knock off TV show that ran for years called Mutant-X. So unless Fox knocked themselves off, it's not legalities.
It was made by Marvel...

Here's some wiki details.

In 2001, 20th Century Fox sued Marvel, Tribune Entertainment, and Fireworks Entertainment for breach of their licensing agreement and false advertisement. Fox stated it had exclusive rights from Marvel to develop the X-Men property, and anything similar was an infringement. Fox claimed that Mutant X was too similar to X-Men, and Mutant X was being advertised as an "X-Men replacement."[6]

Marvel counter-sued Fox, saying that the two were dissimilar and asking the courts to allow Mutant X production to go forward. Production was allowed, as long as X-Men material was not used in the promotion of Mutant X. Apparently, the title "Mutant X" itself was deemed too close to "X-Men" to be effectively leveraged.

In 2003, Fox and Marvel resolved their differences in a confidential settlement of their suits. Meanwhile, Fox continued to pursue their case against Tribune and Fireworks. Tribune sued Marvel for fraud and breach of contract, claiming Marvel encouraged Tribune to connect Mutant X to the X-Men, misrepresented what they were getting in their license, and caused millions in losses due to the need to alter story lines and characters to ensure the mandated distance between Mutant X and X-Men, as well as fighting Fox's litigation.[7]

Wasn't there also a Mutant X comic book at the time, which was an alternate-universe X-Men (I think Jubilee was a villain or something).

I thought I did hear the word "mutant" used in the episode, though. My assumption is that they can't use Mutant (capital "M", referring to a race of beings commonly classified as **** Superior), but they can use "mutant" (lower case "m", referring to something that has mutated in some form).

Notice anything missing from Aftershocks, the mid-season return episode?

There was no Ward. At all. Only one quick non-named indirect mention (Bobbi's line to Skye about "you survived being kidnapped by three known killers...").

So maybe we get a Ward/Agent 33 episode soon? Would be cool to watch that crazy train pull into the station.

The way he was popping around the room in the flashback reminded me of Nightcrawler.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Do the X-Men ever cross over with any of the Avengers characters in the comics? If so I would hope the studio that owns the X-Men rights could put on their big boy pants like Sony and allow cross use.

Anyone else think that Coulson probably knows about the hidden tech in the mini Vette? It seems like he's the kind of guy who would let things happen to see how it plays out. He wants to see what Bobbie and Mack's angle is.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back