Marvel Studios' Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

I could see a new Avengers lineup with the team led by Dr Strange or Captain Marvel then Sam Wilson's Captain America, Ant Man, Wasp, Shang Chi, Spider-man, White Vision, Smart Hulk and Hawkeye.

I'm guess the idiots at Sony would disagree with Spiderman....they think they'll build their own universe around him.

I'm guess the idiots at Sony would disagree with Spiderman....they think they'll build their own universe around him.
It's funny since that's literally what they're doing, they're building a universe around Spider-Man, but outside of animated appearances, but without Spider-Man himself in any of the movies.

I could see a new Avengers lineup with the team led by Dr Strange or Captain Marvel then Sam Wilson's Captain America, Ant Man, Wasp, Shang Chi, Spider-man, White Vision, Smart Hulk and Hawkeye.
They definitely want Captain Marvel to lead assuming she can get popular and may tie that into the comics as well. I dont think Dr Strange ever led the Avengers and dont know if they want to “take that risk.”

If Marvel is out, I can see Wasp since she was a popular leader in the comics. Hawkeye could also step in when the leaders are fighting or something like in Endgame when Widow was “in charge.”

Just got back from seeing it I LOVED it! Great action, awesome story that works on both a micro and macro level. There's a big fight scene at the end that was a little weird because it kinda got into kaiju territory, but that would be my only nitpick. I feel like this is a great launching pad for the next phase of the MCU and you can feel it! At the same time it is very much its own story that could totally take place outside the MCU and almost does in a way. I wish it was available on Disney+ right now, so I could watch it again. Maybe if they let us out of work early tomorrow I'll go see it.

I just got back from it and sorry to say, it was rather disappointing.... My girlfriend felt the same way... It basically felt like "Disney presents Shang-Chi"...

Saw it last night and LOVED it as well. Easily the best hand-to-hand combat in the entirety of the MCU, thanks to stunt coordinator, Brad Allen (RIP). Compelling family story, lots of humor, a mix of new and familiar faces and a great step forward for AAPI representation to boot! Shang-Chi occupies a great, unique corner of the MCU and I personally can't wait to see where he ends up next! (Especially following that mid-credits scene :oops:) I look forward to seeing it again this weekend

Surprisingly, really good. Wasn’t looking forward to this, especially after how boring and bland Black Widow was, but it was pretty stellar.

A few that I trust to be objective liked it and some thought it was generic Marvel. Still not sold on it. I'm going to wait until its streaming, if I even see it at all.

The film is getting some pretty rave reviews across the board, but for those of you still on the fence about checking it out, this clip is a small taste of the top-notch fight sequences. (If you are already planning to watch the film, skip the clip and just experience it in theaters).

I've been enjoying the steady stream of all the Phase 4 content we've been getting, but I have to say, this is the project that has captivated me the most since Endgame. About as unique as an MCU film can get while still retaining its Marvel DNA. (That is to say, Scorsese still wouldn't appreciate it much.) At the very least, It's clear Marvel is pushing Shang-Chi as a mainstay of the Avengers franchise moving forward.

I saw it this afternoon. My wife and I both enjoyed it. The story works, but JoeG has a good point about flirting with kaiju territory.

Overall, for me, in the top half of the Marvel movies. Worth seeing in the theaters if the experience is important to you, likely to be effective on Disney+ if you're not sure about value.

I hope you enjoy it if you watch.

I caught a late night showing last night with my family and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a great start for Phase 4 and I can't wait to see another one and how the movie fits into Phase 4 exactly since they hinted at something big for Phase 4.

I should add, be sure to stay for the entire credits, there's a mid credit scene and end credit scene.

Random notes:

For the first 30 min, Shang-Chi, as a character, wasn't particularly interesting to me. He isn't a paragon of virtue, a leader or even an everyman who discovers inner greatness in extraordinary (e.g. scientific, intergalactic, supernatural,) circumstances. He's not the smartest, most talented or even clever person. He's the reverse of the superheroes we've seen - a man whose past forged him for greatness but found solace in the mundane. A superhero origin story is usually about a person struggling to evolve into a heroic identity, but here we have a man who is comically trying to retreat into obscurity.

It took me maybe 30 minutes to realize this was all by design. His relationship with his best friend, Akwafina, was one of the best things about the movie. But, as an individual, he suffers a bit from the same problem as Captain Marvel - that his character could be fleshed out a little better. While he starts off being mundane I expect him to develop the stature of a superhero but, in the end, he's still a regular kinda guy. Then again, maybe it is also by design that he has more in common with Scott Lang than with Steve Rogers.

I kept thinking his mom's village felt like a low-budget Wakanda. The ten-rings powers seemed somewhat arbitrary - then again, so does Wanda's and Captain Marvel's powers. Still, it was a very good and fun movie. I give it a B+.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back