Marty McFly's Skateboard - Valterra Splatter Deck Conversion

TheRealMcFly

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Last year I purchased the Back to the Future 25th Anniversary Valterra skateboard replica made by Madrid Skateboards and it rekindled my love of skateboarding. Before I knew it I was searching for the original parts to build my own ride. Almost one year later I had found everything I needed for what is simulateneously the most accurate and least accurate replica ever made.

From above it matches the film version.
vmtop.jpg

On the bottom I used the transparent version of the explosion sticker because I felt it was a better match for what was already the incorrect paint scheme with blue splatter offset above the magenta. The circle logo above the back trucks is missing the tiny "mfg." but is otherwise a match.
vmunder.jpg

The choice of Sure-Grip's Invader trucks on the modern replica is no coincidence. Using stills from the film and comparing the width of the truck hanger I found the Valterra trucks that come with the board too wide. I debated this for some time and when I finally test fit a Madrid FLY wheel the axle stuck out too far past the lock nut. Frame by frame replays of the film when the board appears revealed bright red/orange bushing sets, and a continuity polariod shows white pivot cups. While the modern Invader trucks come with all black bushings the vintage versions are a dead match. Fortunately, I was able to find a couple of complete new old stock sets with completely useable bushings.

Here are a couple of comparison shots next to the Madrid replica.
vmsunder.jpg
vmsbottom.jpg

Last edited:
Here it is in progress and more details that may help with future replicas.

testfit.jpg

My skateboard arrived with all guards still in place, and the bottom of the board was in exceptional condition for its age.

topdamage.png
damage.png

However, the top did require some extensive repairs.

topboard.png

Since this would become a fully functional board I clearcoated the top artwork to both blend touch ups and preserve the graphic. This extra step is recommended to anyone planning on actually riding their board.

options.png

Sure Grip Invader trucks use to come powdercoated in a variety of colors, and are still available polished in all four sizes. While I was incredibly lucky to find unused old stock none had the correct axle size. I bought a set of new 800s and matched them with vintage mounting plates. A coat of Rustoleum Professional gloss black was given plenty of cure time.

sginvaderch650-1.png

After that it was only a matter of adding back the grip tape at an angle parallel to the text before the board was ready for final assembly. If Marty had five Madrid stickers, and had already stripped his Valterra deck of trucks, I'm guessing the original board also used Madrid brand flypaper grip tape on top. In the very beginning of the film you can spot the Madrid FLY writing on the wheels, even on a dvd copy. Though, I did borrow a bluray to confirm the use of trusshead philips bolts.

I bought many vintage brands of white copers before I found what I believe are a match. The shape of the notch on the inside looks to share the same profile and still has the flat surface on the bottom.

The only vintage stickers I never found were the correctly sized b&w madrid logos for the copers. I reduced a larger vintage sticker with the same logo for a few vinyl copies. Otherwise all stickers on the deck are genuine vintage Madrid.

I am very happy with the results and while I know this is just a skateboard here in the Prop Forum I hope this information can help other fans with their own.

Last edited:
I love this board. I too cleaned up an original and purchased the 25th Anniversary replica. I could never find the correct copers. I just cut my loss and went with white truck axles. I still ride the actual Valterra deck around, but the screen accurate replica is a display piece. One thing to notice; the splatter sticker on the replica is off. The letters are a tad thin. I replaced it with an original.

05152012801.jpg

05152012800.jpg

That's a fantastic display you have there. I read your comments on offto55 about the board in my research. Strange there is an alternate version in that deleted scene.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has the urge to upgrade. All of the stickers on the replica are technically off because they all use the modern version of the Madrid logo. It's not neccessarily a bad thing, but I did notice many of them had the splatter sticker placed under the riser pad. I also noticed they used different types of 1/2" riser pads, some with a larger footprint than others so this may have contributed to the overlap. The replica is better quality than an original but is obviously a recent fabrication.

I wonder if Madrid made the original decks for Valterra back in the 80s? Skateboard guys write about the Marty board like its junk. The only thing left on it thats factory is maybe the risers, with all other components replaced. I also wonder if the original movie board was slightly concaved, a feature on the replica.

Perhaps we could convince Madrid Skateboards to sell new splatter decks. I noticed they have reissued a number of their 80s styles. There's bound to be more interest later in the year when the hoverboard is released.

From what I gather Valterra was a low end bargain brand skateboard. Similiar to Nash. Sold in Toys R' us. The madrid pros, who did the skateboard stunts, most likely modified the board and added their sponsor's company stickers. They probably had to keep the splatter deck because, regardless of it's quality in the skateboard community, it looked cool on camera. I doubt we'll see any future release aside from what they already manufactured for the 25th anniversary. I have a rep's email from madrid skateboards. I could shoot him a message and see what they say.

Really nice boards, that graphic in the second picture messes with my head ha! Those Mondo poster(s) in your display are great too. Is that an uncut sheet or 3 put together really close?

I doubt we'll see any future release aside from what they already manufactured for the 25th anniversary. I have a rep's email from madrid skateboards. I could shoot him a message and see what they say.

Please do. I'd love to know if they'd do just the deck. I'd be happy to add the grip and make another contribution to the Fox Foundation. And finally a use for my set of accurate vintage stickers, an all magenta splatter board.

I have never seen a factory splatter board with just magenta on the bottom. Perhaps they were modified for the film or merely a couple of production errors.

I have never seen a factory splatter board with just magenta on the bottom. Perhaps they were modified for the film or merely a couple of production errors.

Nor have I. I have come across mention from other fans that they are out there. I know after the film's success the board was re released and branded as "as seen in Back to the Future" so if the magenta scheme did exist, It would be an early production run.

Great Scott!.

Just kidden anyway, I am new here and found my old school Valterra. I actualy have two of them (but could only find one now) when the first came out but could only find one of them so far digging though the parents storage. The front of this is a bit chipped and the rest has issues but just scrapes and such. But it survived, even though the front is a bit bruised. :eek

Mond-282-B.jpg

I hope these photos helps out to the Valterra that I bought at Toys R us back in the day and right around the movie time.

PS sory the edits, I was unsure of the photo size.

Glad to be here and also have a bunch of other 80's gadgets and toys that I collect.

Mr Beno

Last edited:
Nor have I. I have come across mention from other fans that they are out there. I know after the film's success the board was re released and branded as "as seen in Back to the Future" so if the magenta scheme did exist, It would be an early production run.

Did you notice if the bottom of the production board they had at Madrid looked retouched, or concave? I realize it was most likely an earlier Stoltz configuration with round sticker on top and factory grip. Invader trucks?

Thanks for posting your board Benocat. Don't sweat it I had plenty of edits on my images too.

One thing I noticed on the boards with the Back to the Future sticker is the truck bolts on top are not recessed into the board. Though yours is only the third I have seen, and I wouldn't say it's enough proof to declare the recessed bolt hole decks early versions.

Cool miniature but the deck shape is all wrong. Turns out so is my own, but its close. The Madrid replica is much more faithful at the rear with a narrower kick tail.

The deck of my own replica is much too wide at the bottom. I have also noticed its significantly thinner ply than most of the valterra decks that appear on ebay from time to time. While it offers a sturdy ride I do catch the rear wheels on the deck due to the wheelbase of the Sure-Grip Invader 800s.

I had planned to make my board less accurate with some vintage fly wheels in yellow. These are the later plastic core versions by kryptonics. Unfortunately this version has less offset than the correct Fly wheels and would decrease the wheelbase even further. My plan is to use new wider 153mm sure grip axles will replace the 800s along with some all black bearings. Even with a wider axle the end result is only about a 3/4" increase because of the different wheels.

I have another splatter deck in need of some TLC. My plan is to trim the deck down to size at the rear and come spring I'm converting the bottom to all magenta. With a complete vintage set of stickers ready to go, all of hunting has been done.

On a related topic I found someone selling a miniature "Tech Deck" version of the Valtera skateboard from Madrid.

Miniature 1985 Valterra Back to The Future Skateboard | eBay

I thought I might try for it because it would go good with my miniature version of the hoverboard I got for ordering the Mattel hoverboard replica. :lol:)

I'd probably stay away. You're paying way too much for that. As someone who makes wooden decks, collects, and uses fingerboards, you're buying a very cheap knockoff of a Tech Deck.

Yes, exactly.

I get great results with Rustoleum Professional out of the rattle can. If you can give the part plenty of cure time it really is super tough. See who's got better shipping rates on your side of the water.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back