Mar-Vell (formerly Yon-Rogg) WIP - pic heavy

SMP Designs

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi everyone - here we go again!

The latest project to come through the studio is a companion piece to the recent Captain Marvel build that I outlined - Yon-Rogg! I began the project by mapping out the chest and torso.

Like most projects, I started with a basic pattern block built to fit the measurements and then mapped out the detail lines.

yon-vest-1.jpg

yon-vest-2.jpg

I then cut the muslin test copy apart and began tracing the final patterns onto Swedish tracing paper. During this process, details were revised, lines trued-up and templates cut for both the 'soft' parts and the pieces to be cast.

yon-vest-3.jpg

I then began by building up the base for the chest - working the vest front to back (the same way the Captain Marvel was built). The base chest pieces were cut from 2mm craft foam and backed with headliner. These pieces were then assembled with contact cement.

Once the base pieces were together, the base black areas were added. The material used here was a thin and very flexible faux leather.

yon-vest-4.jpg

yon-vest-5.jpg

From here, the green sections were traced out and drafted in headliner and craft foam to review scale and placement.

yon-vest-6.jpg

yon-vest-7.jpg

For the green sections that were being made in foam and fabric, I selected a 200 weight coated nylon in hunter green and and heavily color-working it with paint.

Initially, I'm airbrushing the fabric with an acrylic metallic paint.

yon-vest-9.jpg

yon-vest-10.jpg

yon-vest-11.jpg

After the pieces were painted, stitching details were added (same as Captain Marvel) and the pieces were added to the base chest along with the gunmetal edging and the rest of the black that will fill in gaps.

yon-vest-12.jpg

Here's a pic of the chest so far that shows (roughly) how the cast pieces will fit on the foam/fabric sections of the chest.

yon-vest-13-1.jpg

More to come, stay tuned!

Last edited:
At this point, I started looking toward the rest of the outfit and the green material and treatment and decided I just didn’t like it. So, I grabbed a coloring- book page of him and laid out a rough plan for the new color scheme based on the classic Mar-Vell and Carol’s new Endgame version.

mar-vell-new-concept.jpg

I then began rebuilding the chest plate. The new one was constructed using the same techniques as the one above, but with the new fabrics. I’m using a medium-weight blue metallic spandex, red cordura and the same red faux leather that I used on Captain Marvel.

Here’s the new chest with the paper template for the star and stripes pinned to it.

mar-vell-vest-1.jpg

I was much happier with this version and decided to continue from here. The next pieces I put together were the shoulders and the shoulder straps for the vest.

The upper shoulders are made of a perforated faux leather backed with a black 2-way stretch. This fabric combination will also be used on the rest of the black areas of the suit. The shoulder bells and vest straps are made of the blue metallic backed with headliner foam.

mar-vell-vest-2.jpg

Here is the chest with the shoulders pinned in place.

mar-vell-vest-3.jpg

While all of this was going on, I had Jordan working on the 3d models for the pieces that would be cast in rubber. These are still in the Yon-Rogg color scheme, but will be cast in gold and then painted to go with the Mar-Vell concept.

yon-chest-model.png

He also printed out the new shoulder based on my template and began the model for the gauntlet piece based on my redesign.

yon-shirt-2.jpg

mar-vell-pieces-4.jpg

mar-vell-pieces-3-1.jpg

mar-vell-pieces-5.png

Once these pieces are printed, they will be cast in gold Task16 and finished with paint before being attached to the suit. All the other little pieces for the belt, boots and gauntlets are being re-purposed from the existing molds for Captain Marvel.

I have been following this with some fascination. How are you attaching the fabric/vinyl to the underlayer and foam? If you have any digital patterns, I would love to take a look if possible. I am starting on a new project myself and would love to emulate the technique. This is fantastic.

I have been following this with some fascination. How are you attaching the fabric/vinyl to the underlayer and foam? If you have any digital patterns, I would love to take a look if possible. I am starting on a new project myself and would love to emulate the technique. This is fantastic.

Hi DH, thanks for following! I use Super77 to tack the fabric/vinyl down so that it stays in place and then I usually stitch through all layers with according/zipper foot to finish them and create the final lines. I don’t have digital pattens - these are all made to measure using the muslin mockups. The mock ups are then cut apart and used to create the patterns for the final piece.

Kind of a short update, but made some more progress on the vest. Moving along, I started on the side sections. The details for these pieces were sketched out on the muslin mock up. Then, a muslin base was created and the detail pieces were cut, edged and added to the base.

mar-vell-vest-4.jpg

mar-vell-vest-5.jpg

The side-front sections were created as an entirely separate piece with the black section to the front and the red and gold details added. Then, the entire piece was sewn down to the main side section.

mar-vell-vest-6.jpg

mar-vell-vest-7.jpg

Here are some images of the side sections added to the front.

mar-vell-vest-8.jpg

mar-vell-vest-9.jpg

The next step is to create the back sections for the vest. Then, all of the vest pieces can be assembled and the collar attached. Stay tuned…

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back