Mandrake Sculpt

RJN

This is my mandrake inspired by the original props from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
The mandrake itself is made predominantly from air dry clay. The greenery comes from artificial foliage that I reshaped. The pot was a shiny plastic one which I worked on to look like it's made from clay. I created the earth by pressing fine gravel into a shaped layer of clay, which I later painted. The whole thing, apart from the greenery, is painted with acrylics.

Attachments

• IMG_2510.jpg
    IMG_2510.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 532
  • IMG_2511.jpg
    IMG_2511.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 611
  • IMG_2519.jpg
    IMG_2519.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 439
Beautiful! But it must be pretty fragile, eh? I've also done mandrakes with air-dry clay, but they're so prone to breakage that I mostly keep them up on a high shelf. I'd like to try casting one with expanding prop foam.

Beautiful! But it must be pretty fragile, eh? I've also done mandrakes with air-dry clay, but they're so prone to breakage that I mostly keep them up on a high shelf. I'd like to try casting one with expanding prop foam.
It isn’t particularly fragile. The roots are made with Cloud Clay, so they’re flexible.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back