Mandalorian (SPOILERS) - Thing of nightmares or cutest thing ever? Work in progress.

The screen shot is a bit blurry, but it shows great details on his ears.

52F5445A-E122-4F3B-9938-3ECF9E16EF03.jpeg

The screen shot is a bit blurry, but it shows great details on his ears.
Thanks! Yes, this and the shot of him lying asleep in his pod prompted repositioning of his ears a bit more central rather than far back. His ears have some depth to them so it makes sense to avoid some awkwardness with them sticking out the back if they sit more within his profile.

A lot of time between this and the previous update. The ears got removed entirely and the head got baked at ~125C for about an hour. Then I baked the existing ears separately and reattached afterward, using CA glue, poly clay and a heat gun.

Yodlet-13-FRONT.jpg

I then made some sheets with a pasta maker and attached them to create the rest of each ear, plus cartilage and underlying shape.

As it happens, I'm happy I moved the ears forward a bit; it allows the flexible cartilage of the ears to remain flush with the head profile without any flapping out oddly. There are still some areas where i feel the back of the head is uneven, but I'll be addressing that later today.
Yodlet-13-TOP.jpg

Other than that, this thing is getting pretty heavy. I've used roughly 1.5lb of polymer clay at this point and there are areas where it is somewhat fragile (chiefly areas where the ears join the head). 1.5lb doesn't seem like much until you've been holding it for a half hour while sculpting small details and dropping it could mean breakage. (I also have small hands and weak wrists)

I still want to do some refinement along the top edge of the ears to make them more tapered. Then I'll probably set this aside and begin work on the hands and figuring out an appropriate body and costing out some molding/casting materials.

Started working out the hands and feet over the past couple of days. I mapped out the armature with wire and slight aluminium foil, covered with a thin layer of clay, just up to the first joints. They got baked, fingers got posed, then it was mainly an additive process with clay up until i got the finger length I wanted, then it was mostly just building up the tissue overall. Mostly the same for the feet, although I am at this time mostly just referencing the original concept art, since we only seem to get shots of The Child with his feet hidden under his garment.

Yodlet-14.jpg
Yodlet-15.png

I accidentally left the hands in the oven maybe twice as long as I was supposed to, while building these up, so the surface looks a bit mottled right now.
Yodlet-16.jpg

Getting more creepy at this point, what with the hands and feet being disembodied right now, but it shouldn't affect the final surface.
Yodlet-17.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back