Mandalorian (SPOILERS) - Thing of nightmares or cutest thing ever? Work in progress.

inkblot

Everything needs to start somewhere, i guess? Not the momma.
Yodle.jpg

Super Sculpey on aluminium foil. Eyes are small Xmas ornaments. Heatgunning this all a bit at a time, but will probably need to pick up a used toaster oven again...

Will post more as I go.

Some time spent focusing on the eyes and bulking things up around the back. Still needs more bulk around the head behind the eyes, in the chin, working in the ears and the neck.
Yodlet-02.jpg

Super Sculpey being fleshy in colour throws me off a bunch. Probably should have picked up some Chavant?

Things are coming along. The addition of a nose seems to help a lot (although it still needs a lot of work to make it more cute). I've also added more blocky detail in the brow that will be smoothed down further along the top of the head, and I've been paring down details around the eyes.

Yodlet-03.JPG
Yodlet-04.JPG
The ears and chin need a lot more attention, but I like the direction this is taking, finally.

Halliwax Thanks! Haha that's just the first thing that came to mind with the colour of the poly clay and the scale of the eyes.

More progress under the cut.

Based on additional screencaps from Ep 2, i decided to bulk up the back of the head quite a bit. I was running out of my usual fleshy Super Sculpey and found an old box of grey (Super Sculpey + 1 block white, 1 block black Sculpey III - made many years ago before they started offering Extra Firm Grey Sculpey), so I started mixing it and ended up with something a bit more firm.

At this point, i think i've probably redone that nose at least twice. It's a tiny detail but it pulls the whole thing together. It needs to be a bit smaller and more cute :(

Also, I'm aware that the ridges and wrinkles are all quite deep and make them look aged rather than infantile. I'll do some more smoothing as I work in surface detail.
Yodlet-06.jpg

Also, I am going to try to focus on details on what I've got first before proceeding to the chin and ears - mostly because I want all the current features baked in first before i go mucking around handling the whole thing in order to get those other components done.
Yodlet-05.jpg

Need a silicone puppet, you know...
I'm giving it some thought! Sculpting by hand isn't something I do often, but i think I might try integrating an underlying balljointed system - 3D printed, maybe. I've always meant to work on a ball-jointed doll and this sort of scale makes it a bit less intimidating. A silicone head would be fun if i choose to do some hair work. The flip-side is this is a material I've never worked with before and I'd probably have to wait until spring to paint, as, while I do have an airbrush and compressor, I don't have a garage or spray booth.

A bit more detail on the face, added a chin. Tore out the ears and repositioned. I need to bake this soon before I do any more work on the ears, but it's hard not to just hold this head in both hands (its size and shape has earned it the moniker 'My Little Hamburger') and coo over the weird cuteness.
Yodlet-07.jpg
Yodlet-08.jpg

The eye ridges May be a bit heavy...
I agree. It's been a bit of a push and pull to get where I want it. I just don't want to put myself in a situation where I have to carve baked clay, because Sculpey can be rather brittle when handled in this manner. I'd prefer to fill in with gentle applications later than risk having to carve and re-fill areas later.

I agree. It's been a bit of a push and pull to get where I want it. I just don't want to put myself in a situation where I have to carve baked clay, because Sculpey can be rather brittle when handled in this manner. I'd prefer to fill in with gentle applications later than risk having to carve and re-fill areas later.
I guess what I'm saying is I'm working a bit more broadly for now and refining slowly. There are some creases on there right now that are a lot heavier than they ought to be, making the features look a bit too articulated. There are also some bumps that could also be smoothed down a bit too.

After a 4-ish hour twitch stream, here's where I'm at:
Yodlet-09.jpg

Ear not attached - just cut a sheet to mock up how they'd look later.

Mellowed out the eyebrows a bit, bulked up the nose bridge a little, added some volume near the inner eye corners to make the eyes less buggy. More eyelid. More volume in the chin. Tore out and redid the left ear so wire would run through the whole thing instead of just part (causing floppy clay). Also inverted depth around the nasolabial folds adjacent to the nose.

Everything was getting a bit too pliable by this point, so I decided to call it a night and let the clay set for a while.

Well if the time line is after Empire but before First Order, I would say its either a member of Yoda's species or possibly a Yoda clone.

That look amazing! Can't wait to it progress.

Consequently I found this today.

Tonight's progress; just a couple of hours, but I'm trying to avoid overworking the clay surface because it gets soft so easily having been handled repeatedly over the past few days.

Is everyone okay with me not using spoiler tags any more at this point? The thread just previews the first post and I am not aware of any other part of the forum that previews post content. If it needs to go back behind a spoiler cut, let me know.

Adding more detail to the back of the head. Also tore the ears off again - they were positioned way too far back. Compared to Yoda's ear position, the ears should be more central rather than aligned to the back of the skull.

Yodlet-09-TOP.jpg
Yodlet-11.png
Yodlet-10.png

Spent some more time refining the face and smoothing things in prep for some stippling. Also started adding detail to the back of the head.
Yodlet-12.png

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back