Man of Steel Fabric update--Warner Bros Studio Museum visit.

It sure does. Thank you Lunaman. Looks like i will be able to use my cape after all just add more to the sides for pleating and giving off that huuge free flowing cape effect like in the movie.

I don't believe the cape has any flat parts along the outer hem. I watched MOS last night, and if you check out the shot where Supes saves Lois from the escape pod, right when he is lowering her to the ground, you can see the cape billowing out pretty clearly. It may be CGI cape, but you can still tell. I believe the cape is NOT a half circle, but some kind of half oval, or a flattened half circle. This would allow the cape to drape over his shoulders the way it does, but still hit the ground at the same height along the entire length.

Also, there's an MOS suit on display at FIDM in downtown LA right now if anyone wants to get a close up look. There are no ropes or glass or anything. You can put your nose an inch from it. The exhibit runs for another couple of months. It's a beautiful thing to see in person.

They also have Faeora armor, jor-el suit, council member suit, and others.

Little late to the party here, but I just wanted to say this information has been invaluable! I may never actually build one of these (not in Kryptonian shape lol) but these suits are incredibly beautiful and ingenius in their design, so having some new insight into their construction is intriguing.

Did have a few questions though, starting with a pattern. Could any unitard pattern potentially work? I see seams that start at the collar and run down to the armpits, and then from the waist to the groin... then of course the zipper in the back.

Also on the chainmail texture, if one were to go the DIY screen print route, forgive me for not knowing enough about the process, but how should one go about making sure there are no irregularities or can sp'ing be done with one huge body-sized frame? (I'm thinking in terms of several shirt sized frames.) Perhaps having a good sized stencil (made by a Cricut machine) and puff painting through that would be more practical? Just need to be very careful moving section by section...

There was a question regarding the under muscle layer, whether that was a lifecast of Mr. Cavill or sculpted. I have to assume it's the latter, while the overall design is relatively anatomical there are some shapes that aren't natural, rather they are exaggerated and kind of angular. My question though is are these muscles soft and flexible or hard like plastic? Again assuming, but it'd only make sense that they're rubbery, but other than a cold cast I don't know how one could achieve that metal shininess?

Little late to the party here, but I just wanted to say this information has been invaluable! I may never actually build one of these (not in Kryptonian shape lol) but these suits are incredibly beautiful and ingenius in their design, so having some new insight into their construction is intriguing.

Did have a few questions though, starting with a pattern. Could any unitard pattern potentially work? I see seams that start at the collar and run down to the armpits, and then from the waist to the groin... then of course the zipper in the back.

Also on the chainmail texture, if one were to go the DIY screen print route, forgive me for not knowing enough about the process, but how should one go about making sure there are no irregularities or can sp'ing be done with one huge body-sized frame? (I'm thinking in terms of several shirt sized frames.) Perhaps having a good sized stencil (made by a Cricut machine) and puff painting through that would be more practical? Just need to be very careful moving section by section...

There was a question regarding the under muscle layer, whether that was a lifecast of Mr. Cavill or sculpted. I have to assume it's the latter, while the overall design is relatively anatomical there are some shapes that aren't natural, rather they are exaggerated and kind of angular. My question though is are these muscles soft and flexible or hard like plastic? Again assuming, but it'd only make sense that they're rubbery, but other than a cold cast I don't know how one could achieve that metal shininess?

Since the fabric over the main body is roughly a single material, the design would work with various different pelting patterns for constructing the unitard itself, as long as the neckline, and boot transition were kept consistent, sure.

You would need a large enough screen or stencil in order to print each fabric element in its entirety. The size of those elements depends on the method of pelting you choose.

The Muscle layer is a sculpted element, yes, (not that Cavil wasn't already very muscular) meant to sharply delineate muscle sections. The anatomy is not entirely human. The muscle suit used on set is soft and flexible, a type of foam rubber. There are flexible metallic paints specifically made fused to create the reflective surface. In the various suit displays, a hard mannequin is used for the muscle layer.

Thanks for the response, very helpful indeed! Now if only we knew how the cape was attatched, though I have seen how others have done theirs.

I don't believe the cape has any flat parts along the outer hem. I watched MOS last night, and if you check out the shot where Supes saves Lois from the escape pod, right when he is lowering her to the ground, you can see the cape billowing out pretty clearly. It may be CGI cape, but you can still tell. I believe the cape is NOT a half circle, but some kind of half oval, or a flattened half circle. This would allow the cape to drape over his shoulders the way it does, but still hit the ground at the same height along the entire length.

Also, there's an MOS suit on display at FIDM in downtown LA right now if anyone wants to get a close up look. There are no ropes or glass or anything. You can put your nose an inch from it. The exhibit runs for another couple of months. It's a beautiful thing to see in person.

They also have Faeora armor, jor-el suit, council member suit, and others.
Dude how’s going. I know many time has gone since that discussion. But I’m still a little bit confused about some image distortion on MOS costume. For me the one attached is the perfect and original one, but sometimes it’s seems Shiner in other pictures on Google. So backing to famous question, what fabric, color and finishing painting that atsuit are made?

Please guys feel free to answer in case this answer was already posted here and I missed it. I’m new here sorry
FD028C82-0B7B-4A5C-8248-EC343F5ACAB0.jpeg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back