JL Snyder cut handmade steel DVD case

DylanRose

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Sharing my contribution to this years Secret Santa gift exchange:

My recipient has an incredible DVD collection and I wanted to contribute something one-of-a-kind.

My inspiration for the design came from this promotional art used for the Justice League: Snyder Cut release on HBO, and decided to recreate it using a blank steel dvd case found on ebay. Here's a rough 2D mockup I used to get started:

mockup.png

The cases came blank with no markings/logos/etc which was perfect. You can find these on ebay in large & small quantities.

DVDTinCase-DesignYourOwn_xlarge.png
To form the case I made a 2-part mold to imprint the design. I have a small desktop cnc that was perfect for this. I used two blocks of scrap HDPE.
process_1.png

I had never done any metal forming and wasn't sure how the HDPE would hold up against the steel case but it ended up working beautifully! Some of the details were a little softer than I would have liked but overall it worked with the aesthetic I was going for.

process_2.png

process_3.png

Once the case was done I printed a handful of labels to make it feel official. These were printed and cut using a combination of inkjet printing and cutting/sketching with a craft machine on some basic label paper.

paper.png

I was rushed towards the end so didn't get many process shots of the final assembly and weathering but basically I hit everything with sandpaper and/or scotch-bright to help sell it as a real-world object and added some interior cardboard panels and a handful of faux polaroids of the cast using screenshots from the 'Justice is Gray' edition. I didn't go quite as weathered as the original key art, but the recipient can always leave it outside during the next apocalypse if they want the full effect.

Here's the final product:
Photo1.png

Photo2.png

Photo3.png

photo5.png

Photo4.png

that is super cool! very nice creative idea and super well executed! I haven't really followed the secret santa this year, but from what I have seen, there has been some pretty unique stuff made! congrats!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back