Maltese Falcon

Thanks for the clarification, Oz. I don't believe you ever posted the final height of your sculpt. I remember asking about it because I couldn't find it mentioned anywhere. Must have gotten lost in the shuffle of this enormous thread.

GeordieIndy, I think you're mixing up inches with metric measurements. The resin dingus is 11 1/8" as stated in the 2000 Profiles auction catalog, which is actually 11.125" not 11.3". I agree that this is likely the accurate height given the scrutiny the prop was under during that auction. The current auction at Guernsey's claims the same resin prop is 11.5" which is either a mistake or, as Oz mentioned, a rounded up figure.

Something worth noting about the height is that we're dealing with a resin prop that's 70 years old and has obviously suffered some wear and tear. I have a feeling it's lost some height over the decades of handling and Oz's 11.3" height might actually be closer to its original, fresh-from-the-mold size.

I'm sure the lead props are also different in size to the resin version given the rate of shrinkage between the two materials, which I'm not familiar with. All in all, considering the materials used and the way I suspect the final sculpt was made, I doubt if any of the originals match up exactly in size -- which makes it all the more interesting as a film prop. Can't wait to get mine from Oz!

Out of curiosity, anyone know the height of MK's version?

Edit: GeordieIndy, I just realized what you did. You combined inches and millimeters. Is that what you did as well, Oz? In which case, 11 inches and 3 millimeters would indeed equal 11 1/8" (or 11.125") the current size of the resin prop.

Last edited:
Edit: GeordieIndy, I just realized what you did. You combined inches and millimeters. Is that what you did as well, Oz? In which case, 11 inches and 3 millimeters would indeed equal 11 1/8" (or 11.125") the current size of the resin prop.

Yeah that's how I worked it out. I know over in England we work measurements out slightly different to the U.S., but then again math has never been my strong point!! Maybe I am getting mixed up with the measurements. :$

It was just when OZ mentioned 11.5" and 11.3", the difference of 2mm that made me think this is how he worked this out.

I know if I see 11.5", I would read that as 11 and a half inches, half an inch being 12.7mm. If I read 11 1/8", I would do the same being 11 inches and an 1/8th of an inch which I work out to be near enough 3mm. If that all makes sense....

GeordieIndy

Actually milimeters wouldn't really apply, as that would mean that the bird would have to be 11.3 cm tall, which is several inches too short.

No, the .5 and .3 refer to fractions of an inch on a decimal scale. So 11.5 would obviously equal 11 1/2 inches, and 11.25 would equal 11 1/4. So I simply split the difference and put mine at 11 3/8, which equals a nice 11.35 with a little extra to shave off the base to allow for leveling (the poured bottoms aren't always flat so I put them on the bench sander to level them off).

And the fact that the auction house puts the height at 11.5 does not suprise me in the least. When I put a ruler next to mine, you would swear that it was every milimeter of 11 1/2 inches. It is only when you put a straight edge from the top of the bird's head to the ruler that you can see that it is 11 3/8. But of course only a completely accuracy obssessed lunatic like one of us would even think to do that. :lol For most people, simply putting a ruler next to it is all the gauge they need.

Oz

And the fact that the auction house puts the height at 11.5 does not suprise me in the least. When I put a ruler next to mine, you would swear that it was every milimeter of 11 1/2 inches. It is only when you put a straight edge from the top of the bird's head to the ruler that you can see that it is 11 3/8. But of course only a completely accuracy obssessed lunatic like one of us would even think to do that. :lol For most people, simply putting a ruler next to it is all the gauge they need.
Thanks for the extra details on the final height, Oz! And the fact that you've got to shave a little off the bottom to make it flat, makes giving yourself a little extra height a good idea. This has really turned out to be a great project with great attention to detail. Every time I have a question or think I've thought of something new, you turn out to have thought of it already. Makes me realize again and again that we're in good hands with this one!

By the way, have you given any thought to what your next project will be after your Falcon run is complete? And are you close to selling out at all on any of your Falcon versions? Seems like this project has gotten a lot of attention from a wide array of members since it's such an iconic prop -- second to only the ruby slippers (arguably) for most iconic movie prop in history.

Keep us posted if you hear anymore on the Bluray release.
"The Maltese Falcon" Blu-Ray will be released in the US on October 5, 2010. Appears to be the same bonus content as the previous 3-disc DVD release minus the 1931 version of the film and 1936's "Satan Met A Lady":

14tww13.jpg

Oh wow! Just watching the movie for the first time. Now I know where Jon and Vangelis got the inspiration for "The Friends of Mr. Cairo" album.

Anyone who's heard the title song on the album will remember Mr. Cairo's speech at the end. Towards the last few seconds the speech slows down as though the film reel has got stuck and the last line is illegible. Well, 29 years later I've just clicked! He says he has the Maltese Falcon! :)

Curious about this I found the video on youtube.
The version I found had a lot of references including the mention of the falcon about half way through.

kinda hard to make out since it was a bad copy.
Vid

That'll be the single version, or 'radio edit'. Look for the 12 minute album version.

Curious about this I found the video on youtube.
The version I found had a lot of references including the mention of the falcon about half way through.

kinda hard to make out since it was a bad copy.
Vid

Intriguing!!! Care to give us a small clue??? :rolleyes

GeordieIndy

Well, I'll let Oz chime in if he wants to. Suffice it to say that it's gonna be the "big boys" version; not for the "faint of checkbook", LOL! When you mooks SEE it, you'll be throwing some stuff up on eBay so you TOO can have one like it. It's gonna be like the REAL Falcon is SUPPOSED to look - shiny on the "inside", black on the outside, and weathered from a few centuries of being hoarded, hidden, handled, and murdered over; hell, there will prolly even be some of Oz's blood, sweat & tears on it! Oz is THE MAN; that's all I gotta say!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back