Maltese Falcon

The more I read this thread, the more I can't wait to see the finished bird! Kudos on all the work you've put into this project so far, Ozymandius! And I'm glad you've chosen to default to the movie and promo photos when in doubt. Makes the most sense.

It's nice to know that I've earned the trust of at least one person.

Come on now Ozymandius, you know you have our attention and our trust!! The quality of your work speaks for itself!!!

Please don't be offended if I ask lots of questions, I don't have an indepth knowledge of the process it takes to make certain props but I do like to try and learn as much as I can a long the way. I enjoy all the ins and outs of the whole building process, the materials used etc.... Hence why I might ask what seem like simple questions! ;)

Thanks!

Andy

Might have heard this here. One of the original Maltese Falcons is on display in VA at the National Firearms Museum.

Here is a link to a video of it being uncrated: The National Firearms Museum

Go to the side bar on the left and click on "Curators Corner" then look for the title: "NFM Hollywood Gun Exhitit on Fox News, Part 1"

Now how to get to Virginia for a quick laser scan?

Whoa!! Glad to see someone gonna tackle this again!
Cant wait to see
And thanks for the tutor about the casting...ninja:ninja :lol awesome,will be useful if i got a project!

Wow, thank you for the link to that uncrating video! The way it was wrapped reminded me of the scene in the film when the dingus is finally revealed. Can't beat that gorgeous patina on the lead version!

So that's the WB museum version. Doesn't appear to have any scratches on it (a little hard to tell for sure), but I've read it has a dent on the tail from when Bogart dropped it. The other lead version is the one scratched by Greenstreet in the film and was sold by Christie's in 1994 (pictured here: http://i37.tinypic.com/v7xzqs.jpg). Interesting that the value of the WB lead bird is now said to be 2 million when the Christie's version sold for just under $400,000 in 1994 and the resin version sold for just under $100,000 in 1995. Maybe 2 million is the insurance value?

In trying to trace just how many original Maltese Falcons are out there, we've got the two lead birds, the resin version, and according to Adam's TED talk there were perhaps another 6 birds cast in plaster for the film. One of which was stolen in 1975 from the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, and another stolen from John's Grill in 2007. Harry Anderson claims to have another that he obtained from an old WB prop man when he was working on 'Night Court.' Anyone know of any others?

Related: Does anyone believe Haunted Studios' claim that the resin version and the lead versions are not exactly the same? Their website claims that the resin version has a wider, flatter head than the lead version. But after some brief comparisons, they appear identical to me. Maybe I haven't seen it from the right angle. I thought they were all made from the same mold?

Thanks NickFox. It's nice to know that I've earned the trust of at least one person.

Hell, after seeing your Wizarding World work, I'd trust you to make a block mold of my children...and I don't even have children. (Just give them a snorkel first, please)

Seriously though, I think most people who have seen your work trust you at this point. Right now you are replicating one of the most sought after prop replicas ever, though, so people are bound to be antsy, trying to garner as much info as possible. Don't worry, if there is anyone here who doesn't trust you, (which I doubt) given the homework you've done on this project, I have faith that when they see your work that will change.

I feel like a little kid in the week leading up to Christmas...I really can't wait to see your work.

-Nick

Sorry guys, there was a sudden death in the family and I haven't been myself. Obviously I am out of town again and work will be delayed.

Ozymandius, Sorry for your loss and you have our condolences. Don't worry about working on anything.
And don't worry about much how much people will criticize here. We know you will make the best looking falcon you can and the detail will be wonderful (like your other pieces.) We all know that it will be worth any wait.

Sorry guys, there was a sudden death in the family and I haven't been myself. Obviously I am out of town again and work will be delayed.
I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. We also had an unexpected death in the family this past week. My condolences to you and your family. Feel free to take as much time as you need.

Grab your forks guys, the Chicken is done!

I just finished the smooth-down wash and snapped off a few quick pics. Tommorrow I'll do one more pass to double check and fine tune any small imperfections, and then it's off to be molded.

Once I've got the first cast painted and pretty, I'll set up the lighting kit and take some proper photos. Untill then, enjoy the
hors d'oeuvres.

PS. I'll have prices and options listed by later tonight and will start taking orders soon after.

100_1513.jpg

The flash shows more detail, but makes it look a bit funky. To show you the difference, here is the same shot with a lighting angle that more closely matches the film.
100_1514.jpg

100_1520.jpg

100_1508.jpg

100_1510.jpg

WOW! That is beautiful. Makes me wish I had money right now. Given the hype around the Dingus, something tells me after a run of these you could retire. :lol

Awesome work! I hope you're still offering these when I DO have the funds.

-Nick

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back