Maltese Falcon

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

kitt1

I hope I don't sound stupid, but I assume you're going to be useing a non-shrink Platinum type rubber for the mold. You may have already covered this in your posts. Just something that popped into my head.

kitt1

Fresno

Very nice attention to detail right down to the base. Well done. I'm in for both a resin and cold cast bronze.

Ozymandius

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Allright, barring anymore horriffic catastrophes, I should have this chicken basiting in silicone by tommorrow night. Pricing is as follows.

Black, screen accurate resin bird: $125

Weathered auction replica bird: $200

Cold Cast Bronze Art Bird: $350

Once the mold and first cast are finished and everything checks out, I will start a new listing in the Junkyard and begin taking orders there. My policy is to not accept payment until the product is cast and ready to ship, with the exception of the Bronze Bird. Due to the high cost of the materials I will have to require a $100 deposit.

Cheers.

lastdiplomat

I know it's early as we haven't seen the final castings yet, but from these photos Ozy, I don't think you had anything to worry about regarding nitpicking. My hat is off to you, sir. This little dingus is the best I've seen. I can't wait to see how the different painted versions will look once they're finished. Thanks so much for doing this run!

pauljones33

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Looking good Ozzy, nice sculpt, really looking forward to seeing the finishes as they are well priced!

Arlington Beech

Sr Member
Allright, barring anymore horriffic catastrophes, I should have this chicken basiting in silicone by tommorrow night. Pricing is as follows.

Black, screen accurate resin bird: $125

Weathered auction replica bird: $200

Cold Cast Bronze Art Bird: $350

Once the mold and first cast are finished and everything checks out, I will start a new listing in the Junkyard and begin taking orders there. My policy is to not accept payment until the product is cast and ready to ship, with the exception of the Bronze Bird. Due to the high cost of the materials I will have to require a $100 deposit.

Cheers.

I'm in for the screen accurate resin! Cant wait for the Junkyard thread!

MooMooEgg

Sr Member
The pricing for those pieces arent that bad at all. I seriously thought it would be a lot more. I might have to pick up a bronze and a black resin one... (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

*continues to wait for change to buy*

TheGanzman

By way of introduction, I've been watching this thread from the wings since its inception. I just spent three hours last night "comparing" your new creation to all MY photos, scans etc. - honestly hoping to DISQUALIFY your cast from contention! I'm in the "detail business", authenticating $250K+ vintage guitars (think Samuel Jackson in "Red Violin"). In short - I'm "all in"! See you in the checkout line, LOL...

I WOULD like to see a scan and/or a description of the bronze version - will it be highlighted with black enamel, or all bronze in color? Now pardon me while I go clear a place for it!

chinaclipperjoe

Wow, Ozymandius, that is surely what "The, uh, stuff that dreams are made of".
And see, no complaints (even a pro says it looks accurate)
I would love one too. Just have to re-budget things this month with my son recovering.
Hope things are are going ok and thanks for your hard work.

Jedifyfe

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I too have been watching this thread with great interest! Is it me or does the screen grabs make the bird look more squatty (short and fat)?

Is that just the frame ratio playing tricks?

Last edited:

GeordieIndy

Sr Member
Just been going through old posts and came across this:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/maltese-falcon-stolen-20565/

It has some great screen grabs for reference!! When comparing them it shows what a great job Ozy has done!!

Has anyone been on ebay recently looking at Falcons on offer?? I know I can't post the link but there is a guy selling what is supposed to be "# 4 in a series of 10 that were made for the movie". Now I have read several different things about this cast which is very different from what we see on screen. I would be interested to hear what others think.

Andy

chinaclipperjoe

GeordieIndy
Definitely, it wasnt made for the film and if it was made by a prop-master at WB, it could been a limited run that he made after the film for ... who knows. (notice the 2004 on the bottom?)
it looks like the same that hauntedstudios used to offer (maybe this was where they got their first mold from).
Hardly worth a 1000 or more, no matter who made it. The only ones worth that are the ones directly made from the remaining birds. And no one is doing that any time soon.
To me, it is worth under a hundred like the others in that mold.

Last edited:

lastdiplomat

Thanks for the link to that thread, GeordieIndy. What do people think of the claim made in that thread that the original mold had protruding feathers that were later shaved down to get the smooth look? The photo of the prop said to have been cast from an original in the '70s looks very close to the actual prop, but the feathers on the chest are outlined, which isn't how it looks on the original. Maybe it was touched up after casting?

Allegedly cast from an original in the '70s:

Claimed cast from "original mold" which was later shaved down to create the smooth look:

MooMooEgg

Sr Member
Ozy (can I call you Ozy? lol),

After letting the initial euphoria of the fantastic images fade and just to be super critical, the only real difference I can see from your sculpt and the dingus from the screenshots is yours seems to have a super long/low frown like the mouth is connecting to the feather detail on the neck. I don't see this on the screen caps of the bird.

It's just a heads up, and I think it's better to spot the little issues now than after everything is completely finished without any chance of tweaking or resculpting.

But again, it seems like everything else about the sculpt is spot on.