Mal Reynolds Firefly Pistol

Thanks Birdie. Do you know if the person owning the Serenity gun cast is planning to make it available for purchase in the future? Also, is the RPF member's replica in the top photo an assembly of metal pieces over a gun frame like the original? If so, would the member be willing to answer some more detailed questions about his beautiful accomplishment?

<div class='quotetop'>(satoriku @ Aug 26 2006, 06:26 PM) [snapback]1307517[/snapback]</div>
Thanks Birdie. Do you know if the person owning the Serenity gun cast is planning to make it available for purchase in the future? Also, is the RPF member's replica in the top photo an assembly of metal pieces over a gun frame like the original? If so, would the member be willing to answer some more detailed questions about his beautiful accomplishment?
[/b]

As far as I know that cast has never been made available, and I believe (though I could be mistaken...) that the person who originally posted those pics is involved with the licenced version of the Serenity pistol that is coming out soon.

The other pistol is one that came as a resin kit, which I painted. It's a nice sculpt, but considerably undersized.

Regarding the hammer, I'm pretty convinced that the hammer is modified from a standard Taurus hammer:

[attachmentid=9790]

[attachmentid=9791]

PtbyNmbrs interpretation looks pretty close to me.

So... I should basically take a round piece of wood, rougly the size of the circle on the aim section, cut it and drill a hole in the middle and then attach a piece of flat, thin wood to the side and then attach it to the pistol?

Intersting. :)

post-1538-1156621593.jpg

That very nearly looks like a rounded hammer with a hole in it, almost like a beretta 92. I've never seen a hammer like this on a revolver before. Hmmm.

What could this mean?? :love

The likeliihood is that the gun in this image is a rubber hero gun. They don't usually let actors point real guns at each other, even if they are unloaded. If the gun doesn't have to fire in a shot, it's uaually the static hero.

Is it possibly they stuck an auto hammer on the static hero for close up work? :confused

Look at the pic I posted of the hammer on the cast of the Serenity pistol. It's the same, only without the hole.

EDIT:

That hammer can be seen on the plated pistol in Trash, which I doubt is a stunt.

I don't think the hammer would bend easily...the effort to do so would outweigh the effort to simply bob the hammer and weld a new piece onto it.

I think it was fabricated by Applied FX. The Official Companion goes into quite a lot of detail on how the gun was constructed, including new steel grip frame, top strap and rear sight. The original hammer probably either interfered with the sight, or was cosmetically wrong

The original Firefly prop was created by Applied FX.

ISS later took it back for Serenity. The gun was strengthened and reworked so it would be more reliable during shooting scenes in the movie.

The gun inside is a .38 Taurus, firing either half-or full-load blanks.

I know, because I fired it. :D

The prop hammer was custom-machined and welded onto the Taurus hammer (which was ground down to accept the new hammer extension).

All of this info (and much more) will be on our website soon...

Almost finished cutting off the safety catch - as I don't have a saw that cuts fine enough, I use a hobby knife... takes a while... hehe... but it's getting there.

Then all I gotta do is drill a larger hole in the barrel, add the hammer and then paint the sucker. So much time... yet... doesn't seem like I have much to spare...

Jumping over from TDH, just got into Firefly, my gawd, what an incredible show... B)

Interested as you all are, about getting a quality Mal's pistol. While that quest is beginning, I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with..

take care,

-Rex

Woohoo... finally got the safety catch re-positioned, so now I just gotta see if I can straighten out the barrel... and then it'll be time for painting. :D

<div class='quotetop'>(NoHumorMan @ Oct 31 2006, 06:08 PM) [snapback]1348337[/snapback]</div>
Woohoo... finally got the safety catch re-positioned, so now I just gotta see if I can straighten out the barrel... and then it'll be time for painting. :D [/b]
Let me know how that goes, cuz I noticed the other day that mine was a little cockeyed as well.

I had/have NO idea how to fix that. :confused

<div class='quotetop'>(Nexus6 @ Nov 1 2006, 12:24 AM) [snapback]1348343[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(NoHumorMan @ Oct 31 2006, 06:08 PM) [snapback]1348337[/snapback]
Woohoo... finally got the safety catch re-positioned, so now I just gotta see if I can straighten out the barrel... and then it'll be time for painting. :D [/b]
Let me know how that goes, cuz I noticed the other day that mine was a little cockeyed as well.
I had/have NO idea how to fix that. :confused
[/b][/quote]
I have heard mentioned, from others who have this kit that they somehow heated it and very slowly bent it back into shape... would definitely love to hear from someone who has tried this and how they did it.

Being mostly familiar with vinyl and how it reacts to heat I would imagine that more is needed with resin than a simple hairdryer.?

I used a hair dryer to straighten mine, and it worked like a charm. I held the dryer on the piece for several minutes on both sides then applied very little pressure, and very little was needed, it straightened out nicely.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back