Making Tracks

Plokman

Hey all, been a slow few months on my prop making. Been doing some projects with pixel art and writing mostly, but I have not stopped making and I wanted to try making a model with Tank style treads in the near future. I'm actually thinking of building models of the Dinotrux or my take on a alt mode Megatron, which would be a half track Marauder (that red APC vehicle they showed on Top Gear back when Hammond, May and Clarkson were hosts. Thing that fought the ground and the ground lost as Richard Hammond put it.)

But I have no clue how treads are constructed for models, Lego may use Rubber band style tracks but I want to make mine with bolts and such, or at least what looks like the real deal. So wanted to ask anyone know of any blueprints or tutorials on how to build em? I want to do this right as one of my uncles helped engineer a type of tread and he sadly is no longer with us.

Hi, I don't know if you take it or not but

That's the long thread but in there, I made tracks for the vehicle.
In this build, I used aluminum tubes and rods to link the tracks but it will be better by using the aluminum sheet (maybe 0.5mm thick).

It's not a hard word work If you have a good nibbler and a small table saw.

Katsu

Search on yeggi.com for ideas on how to make your own tracks. Many different designs. Alternately you can buy large metal RC track for tanks.

TazMan2000

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back