Making Progress, Godzilla costume in the works

Starx

Hey everyone. I finally have time to begin on next years costume. Im hoping to include several moving parts. However, the one thing i have hit a snag on is unfolding this "monster" of a file. The creation of the file is not my doing, I did not create this file, although i do not remember where i found it(somewhere off of youtube after searching for godzilla models, if anyone can correct me then please do) My pepakura software refuses to let me save my unfolding progress so i was hoping that i could ask the help of you guys here on the forum to unfold the file. Included is a model based on the 1998 godzilla movie, picture included. I wanted to start working on this as soon as possible since most of the building process is going to be new to me, but im sure there are plenty of experienced costume makers here that could give great advice on how to go about this project. As always any questions along the way are encouraged and any and all feedback you guys can provide would be awesome. Thanks for looking! -Starx

GiNO_01e.obj - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

Last edited:
Re: Halloween 2012, Need help unfolding

wow.... do you seriously intend to pep this?? That's quite the undertaking to unfold let alone build

i sure do. i plan on pepping the whole thing within a few months and then using that as the base with whichever materials would be the best to use...probably cloth such as leather and so on with a frame beneath the structure. I am completely aware that it would be quite the unfold, and if need be, id be able to rookie unfold each bit, print it, and put it together without unfolding it. I was hoping though that someone would be able to unfold it and maybe simplify the file as i am not that experienced with 3d modelling. Another reason i decided to start this build one year + a few months ahead of next years halloween. That'll give me plenty of time to work on this even with a full time job.

let me try to unfold it, id it already resized? you need to tell me what size you want im mm
This beast has 313 parts

Last edited by a moderator:

let me try to unfold it, id it already resized?
No. It has not yet been sized. Pep only allows ror 2000mm largest sizing so that would work great. Unless u are able to go up to 2500mm...that would be perfect. Thank you so much!

No. It has not yet been sized. Pep only allows ror 2000mm largest sizing so that would work great. Unless u are able to go up to 2500mm...that would be perfect. Thank you so much!
it wont let me resize it because its not a pdo file, i can unfold it but I cant resize it

Pep lets u use .obj files. U just have to open them manually in pep...file,open, sellect file. Then just save it as a .pdo file and voi la. Lol

yes, but there is no sense unfolding if its not the right size, if you can get it resized I can unfold it

im sorry i can't help out, i can only say good luck, it looks like a gojira size of a task!

yes, but there is no sense unfolding if its not the right size, if you can get it resized I can unfold it

Ok. Ill do that when i get home from work later tonite. Just out of curiosity, why would unfolding it depend on having it resized? Could u unfold it first and then i resize it?

because you have arrange the parts on the paper, I can unfold it but later your gonna have to resize and then arrange the parts on the paper.

That i can do! If youll go ahead and unfold it ill rearrange and resize later. Thanks so much for ur help on this!

alright, i also resized it, it let me resize after i unfolded, also note that since it is so massive that some parts take up like 10 pages each and there is over 300 parts, goodluck with this one. now where do I upload it to

alright, i also resized it, it let me resize after i unfolded, also note that since it is so massive that some parts take up like 10 pages each and there is over 300 parts, goodluck with this one. now where do I upload it to

You can just email it to me. Cmz601@stu.aii.edu, or post it here if its too large to email. Will this file just be unfolded( as in hitting the unfold button on the pep window) or will u make it so that i can go straight to printing?

its already unfolded and resized, but the file is too big to email

I emailed it

I received your email. However, i am not able to open the file in pepakura version 3. It crashes my pep software everytime i try to open it. Also, were you able to unfold it as in make it so that all i have to do is print or do i still need to go in and manually cut open edges here and there so the item will print without any overlapping pieces?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back