Making iron man costume w/ EVA foam

jasminebcg

hey guys, I'm planning to purchase the mark 4 template off of XiengProd on etsy. I've never ever done something like this before, but I'll be able to do it. The thing is, I'm not sure how to size it for myself.

The costume files are for mens large, and you increase/decrease the pdf in 5% increments before printing to go up or down in size. However, I'm a girl. 5'4", smaller build. Usually a small/medium in womens, so basically small in mens. Is there any trick where I can easily figure out sizing without having to reprint and cut out endless pages of paper before transferring to foam? Or do I kind of just have to find out through trial and error? I'm guessing my size will be 90% for the most part but I'm not too sure.

Also the costume obviously has some pieces where there are both gold and red on it. How would I go about spray painting this? Should I just hand paint the gold? Should I paint before gluing the pieces together, or after?

I just want overall tips and tricks on how to make sure this goes smoothly.
Also would like to add more detailing in the costume, nothing crazy but if you have tips for that I'd like to know that as well. I also think itd be nice if I knew how to put a hinge on the mask so I can push the front part up.

Thank you!

Last edited:

kendallb03

Hey!! So for sizing I would just go with trial and error but make sure that there is wiggle room when test fitting the templates to account for the thickness of the foam. For painting you can paint the areas that you need to be gold first then put masking tape over them and spray the red. I wouldn't paint them first because you might need to do seam filling or general clean up and you would just have to repaint. What kind of detailing were you thinking because there are a ton of different techniques. I can't really be of much help for motorizing the faceplate but I know there are lots of videos out there. If you don't want to mess with electronics though you could make a hinge that would slide out and move up, idk if that makes any sense but kind of like the hinges that are on chests except the hinge point slides.

jasminebcg

Hey!! So for sizing I would just go with trial and error but make sure that there is wiggle room when test fitting the templates to account for the thickness of the foam. For painting you can paint the areas that you need to be gold first then put masking tape over them and spray the red. I wouldn't paint them first because you might need to do seam filling or general clean up and you would just have to repaint. What kind of detailing were you thinking because there are a ton of different techniques. I can't really be of much help for motorizing the faceplate but I know there are lots of videos out there. If you don't want to mess with electronics though you could make a hinge that would slide out and move up, idk if that makes any sense but kind of like the hinges that are on chests except the hinge point slides.
hey! thanks for getting back to me. I guess I'll just have to deal with the trial and error, I don't think I'll botch it too bad. In terms of detailing, I might add some little divots here and there that weren't added on the template. xieng prod has a mark 4 iron man suit template that he simplified, so I want to go in and add a little more detail--he uses a wood burner for some of the indentations, so I'll just refer to photos and see what I want to add.

I might not add faceplate mechanisms just to keep it simple for now--and in terms of seam filling and coating, I'm not sure what to seam fill with? I was going to finish the foam by coating it in modge podge, then paint, then a gloss varnish since I don't want to do resin or fiberglass.

kendallb03

hey! thanks for getting back to me. I guess I'll just have to deal with the trial and error, I don't think I'll botch it too bad. In terms of detailing, I might add some little divots here and there that weren't added on the template. xieng prod has a mark 4 iron man suit template that he simplified, so I want to go in and add a little more detail--he uses a wood burner for some of the indentations, so I'll just refer to photos and see what I want to add.

I might not add faceplate mechanisms just to keep it simple for now--and in terms of seam filling and coating, I'm not sure what to seam fill with? I was going to finish the foam by coating it in modge podge, then paint, then a gloss varnish since I don't want to do resin or fiberglass.
of course! Yeah a woodburner is great for detailing you could also use a dremel if you have one. For seam filling I use kwik seal, its really only necessary if you have gaps in your seams. Mod podge is good, its what I use.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.