Make Rubies supreme Vader helmet to ANH version?

Vaderinho

Hello guys!

I'm a new member here and when it comes to prop i'm first and foremost a Star Wars fan. And Darth Vader in perticular.

Maybe this is an ancient topic. But i'm thinking about turning a rubies supreme Vader helmet into the ANH - helmet.
Iv'e seen awesome photos of the rubies supreme turned into the ESB-version. So I know with the right skills it can turn out really well!
But I have not seen any rubies turned into a ANH.
Anybody here have any experience with that?
I guess it must be a bit tricky with the smaller chin vent and the widows peak?
I'm a true novice regarding modding stuff like this so any advice/thought about this will be appreciated :D

Happy new year!

Having done a Rubies supreme mod before, I'd say it is possible, it would be much trickier to do as the rubies supreme helmet is much "closer" to ESB/ROTJ. But Im sure it could be done with a bit of work to the face and dome. your results will vary depending on how much work your willing to do to it.

Having done a Rubies supreme mod before, I'd say it is possible, it would be much trickier to do as the rubies supreme helmet is much "closer" to ESB/ROTJ. But Im sure it could be done with a bit of work to the face and dome. your results will vary depending on how much work your willing to do to it.

Hi lethyry!

Thx, was about what I was thinking to:)
And about how much work you put into it, right
If I get something done I can post it here.

Btw, did you change the lenses on your rubies? And if so, did you make new ones yourself?

As someone who's currently working on a Rubies overhaul, putting back the details that it lost is a lot of effort. I've been at mine for almost 4 years now just adding and removing increments at a time. It's not impossible to turn it into ANH, but like the restoration effort I'm trying to attempt to just turn it into and ESB, you're looking at a fairly long build if you're wanting to make it look presentable, nevermind accurate.

A lot of the mask is usable but to get it even close to resembling the original helmets, you're going to have to modify at good 85% or more. On my helmet alone, the only places left untouched are the lower areas of the neck surrounding the chin vent; everything else has been reworked. The worst thing about the Rubies is the vinyl substrate it's made of. It sands terribly and is hard to have things stick to it without really scuffing up the surface. I work on my helmet outside in the garage, what with all the putty work it needs, and depending on the weather, when it gets sufficiently cold like it is now in winter, the helmet contracts and it cracks the re-worked areas. My ultimate goal is to use the helmet as a sculpt to mold in silicone and then lay fiberglass down to make a helmet copy like the originals were done.

As someone who's currently working on a Rubies overhaul, putting back the details that it lost is a lot of effort. I've been at mine for almost 4 years now just adding and removing increments at a time. It's not impossible to turn it into ANH, but like the restoration effort I'm trying to attempt to just turn it into and ESB, you're looking at a fairly long build if you're wanting to make it look presentable, nevermind accurate.

A lot of the mask is usable but to get it even close to resembling the original helmets, you're going to have to modify at good 85% or more. On my helmet alone, the only places left untouched are the lower areas of the neck surrounding the chin vent; everything else has been reworked. The worst thing about the Rubies is the vinyl substrate it's made of. It sands terribly and is hard to have things stick to it without really scuffing up the surface. I work on my helmet outside in the garage, what with all the putty work it needs, and depending on the weather, when it gets sufficiently cold like it is now in winter, the helmet contracts and it cracks the re-worked areas. My ultimate goal is to use the helmet as a sculpt to mold in silicone and then lay fiberglass down to make a helmet copy like the originals were done.
Wow! I see, interesting. I did not realize actually it was "that" inaccurate. I know its pretty low-rated ofc. The eyes, mouth, color etc. But if I understand correctly the shape of just the mask at least is still pretty good from the start right?

And good point about the difficulty re-working the material. Did not think of that one.. Perhaps I just turn down the accuracy-level then quite a bit haha.
It's just for myself anyway and for display. Like a fun project.. If I even get started.

Appreciate the input!

Wow! I see, interesting. I did not realize actually it was "that" inaccurate. I know its pretty low-rated ofc. The eyes, mouth, color etc. But if I understand correctly the shape of just the mask at least is still pretty good from the start right?

The best I can say about it is that it's 1:1 scale, or pretty darn close to it, anyway. The details of the mask are there, but they're not, if that makes sense. The remains of the crime is there, you just have to reconstruct it. It's like if the sculpture of David, to mass-produce it at 1:1 scale, they had to take a grinder and sandblaster to it. The changes to the Rubies mask is exhaustive but some notable differences are the engorged neck/chin bulge, the Elephant Man bulge to the right side of the head, the extended lower tubes that run the length of the mask, and and neutered details on the face (eyes, nose, mouth have all been cut pretty much flat). Much of these details, I think, were done to cut down on undercuts and make it easier to remove the injected material from the molds.

And sounds like you have come a long way in your project then btw. Impressive!

It's certainly getting there--it ought to after 4 years! As Princess Leia said, though, "It's not over yet."

As said before, nothing bonds to the plastic the helmet is made of. I have tried to modify it to a reveal helmet but I gave up. Epoxy putty doesn't stick that good and even cyano with acetone doesn't work to glue things on it.
I have seen a side by side comparison with the eFX ANH, the rubies is really different and heavily resculpted. Even the eFX is reworked though.

Last edited:
Hi lethyry!

Thx, was about what I was thinking to:)
And about how much work you put into it, right
If I get something done I can post it here.

Btw, did you change the lenses on your rubies? And if so, did you make new ones yourself?
Yes I did change the lenses on mine, I had some spare correct acrylic laying around from other Vader helmet lenses I’ve done so i just heated em up and fit them into place

Best bet is to hunt down the EFX PCR helmet. Its a good, affordable helmet. OR... mold the Rubies and make a resin copy. The issue with doing that is you will spend just about as much as a second hand EFX one will cost you. But resin is a heck of a lot easier to work with than any plastic helmet will be.

I have found that roughing up the surface to a really course finish and then adding drops of CA glue before quickly sticking epoxy putty on creates a decent hold. It takes forever with the amount that needs to be fixed and why it's best to go in increments (why it's such a long process). Any thin areas however are still likely to separate and crack though.

In my case I moified mine ESB style, I resculpted it with epoxy plasticine and automotris paste, then I took a mold to have a final piece with the modifications made of fiberglass, it is a little more work but the result is good.

In my case I moified mine ESB style, I resculpted it with epoxy plasticine and automotris paste, then I took a mold to have a final piece with the modifications made of fiberglass, it is a little more work but the result is good.
That’s cool, you never really see people mold the rubies supreme. Would love to see a picture of it if you have any.

The best I can say about it is that it's 1:1 scale, or pretty darn close to it, anyway. The details of the mask are there, but they're not, if that makes sense. The remains of the crime is there, you just have to reconstruct it. It's like if the sculpture of David, to mass-produce it at 1:1 scale, they had to take a grinder and sandblaster to it. The changes to the Rubies mask is exhaustive but some notable differences are the engorged neck/chin bulge, the Elephant Man bulge to the right side of the head, the extended lower tubes that run the length of the mask, and and neutered details on the face (eyes, nose, mouth have all been cut pretty much flat). Much of these details, I think, were done to cut down on undercuts and make it easier to remove the injected material from the molds.

It's certainly getting there--it ought to after 4 years! As Princess Leia said, though, "It's not over yet."
Okey, right! Yeah its pretty big allright. Though the annyoing placement of the dome almost makes it looks bigger, the facemask I mean.
And I know what you mean.. It got something at least lol. But probably because of practical reasons its so simple. And to make it affordable I guess. Like the noseplug. Maybe the most desturbing thing about it haha. But I still like it. But I wish they could have made it closer to the DP classic action helmet.

And Rock on man! Sounds like the end result will be a succes on your end

That’s cool, you never really see people mold the rubies supreme. Would love to see a picture of it if you have any.
Of course, here some pics if my mod

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1641273956231.jpg
    FB_IMG_1641273956231.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 162
  • FB_IMG_1641273968761.jpg
    FB_IMG_1641273968761.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 149
  • FB_IMG_1641273981032.jpg
    FB_IMG_1641273981032.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 154
  • FB_IMG_1641274006137.jpg
    FB_IMG_1641274006137.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 169
As said before, nothing bonds to the plastic the helmet is made of. I have tried to modify it to a reveal helmet but I gave up. Epoxy putty doesn't stick that good and even cyano with acetone doesn't work to glue things on it.
I have seen a side by side comparison with the eFX ANH, the rubies is really different and heavily resculpted. Even the eFX is reworked though.
Hi Benjo and thanks for the input! Appreciate it.
interesting hearing all those aspects about the material and the difficulty modify it. Did not realize.

I have found that roughing up the surface to a really course finish and then adding drops of CA glue before quickly sticking epoxy putty on creates a decent hold. It takes forever with the amount that needs to be fixed and why it's best to go in increments (why it's such a long process). Any thin areas however are still likely to separate and crack though.
Okey, hmm sounds difficult and a bit risky then. In my case I mean. Maybe better to try it out on something else first before I destroy my rubies lol.

Best bet is to hunt down the EFX PCR helmet. Its a good, affordable helmet. OR... mold the Rubies and make a resin copy. The issue with doing that is you will spend just about as much as a second hand EFX one will cost you. But resin is a heck of a lot easier to work with than any plastic helmet will be.
Thx for the advice! The cost of it all is an issue for sure. And I have the efx pcr. But I really like it as is. Plus it was my first helmet so thats why I prefer to mix things up with my rubies. Allthough now im a bit unsure what route to take. Change the nose, eyes, color and adjust the dome is the main goal at least I think..

Thx for the advice! The cost of it all is an issue for sure. And I have the efx pcr. But I really like it as is. Plus it was my first helmet so thats why I prefer to mix things up with my rubies. Allthough now im a bit unsure what route to take. Change the nose, eyes, color and adjust the dome is the main goal at least I think..
So... why not mold the EFX? And before anyone screams "recasting"... If it is strictly for you then there is nothing wrong with that. I considered doing it with my EFX helmet so I can make my own fiberglass version. That is the one thing I don't love about the EFX is that it is ABS plastic. The face doesn't bother me, it's the hood. I can't stand looking at the interior and knowing it is cheap plastic. It's too bad they couldn't have replicated the look of fiberglass on the inside. Or at least have SOME texture. I mean I could always plastidip it and see what I think.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back