Magnetic lenses without a faceshell?

Idilthil

Hello, there

I am now in the process of acquiring/moding my very first spidey suit. I don't like faceshells, personally, but I do like having the option to swap lenses.

I thought about maybe having the magnets glued to the fabric instead of a face shell and thus attach the lenses magnetically to the mask without a faceshell.

Has this been attempted by any of you? How did it work? Any alternative you guys have came up with?

Cheers!

You could probably make it work, but I think your main issue is going to be that the magnets will not always be in the same place depending on how exactly the fabric is stretched.Also the magnets would constantly be trying to stick to each other, making it more of a pain to put on. If I was deadset on it, I would probably glue or stitch in a sort of lens frame on the inside of the mask so you dont have the magnets flopping around everywhere.

Good luck with your project!

PS. When I started looking into Spidey costumes I was against faceshells because I thought they were too complicated, expensive and not practical, but now after messing around with some, I have a totally different opinion. They really improve the look of the costume and they make it super easy to have swappable lenses. For less than 20 bucks you can make pretty great faceshell if you're willing to put in a little work. All you need is a Hasbro kids mask from Amazon and cut the raised part of the raised webbing off and remove the rubber around the eyes. Glue in the magnets, find/make yourself some lenses and youre good to go! Thats how Ive been doing it and in my opinion it looks as good as any other faceshell I've seen on the internet. If you want you can even do what I did on my latest faceshell and cut a portion out have a 1/2 faceshell which lets your jaw move when you talk.

Link to the mask I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006CC0XJI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link to some pictures: http://imgur.com/a/mzvac
Note that the pictures with the red mask are with a full faceshell and the pictures with the black mask are with the 1/2 shell
Link to the 1/2 faceshell demonstration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_o9aFiY4wE

Just wanted to put it out there that you CAN have a good faceshell without spending much money at all :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your ideas and suggestions!

I suppose this first suit will be my playground to experiment and decide what I prefer and what works best for me. I will take your ideas into account when I finally get the suit!

the idea of having lenses frames inside the mask to attach the magnets is not half bad! I will test it and share it when I get the suit. I am going with zentaizone for my first one.

Cheers!

Thank you for your ideas and suggestions!

I suppose this first suit will be my playground to experiment and decide what I prefer and what works best for me. I will take your ideas into account when I finally get the suit!

the idea of having lenses frames inside the mask to attach the magnets is not half bad! I will test it and share it when I get the suit. I am going with zentaizone for my first one.

Cheers!

I recently got a suit from Zentaizone and Im really happy with it! I dont have any other suits to compare it to but it definitely seems like a good value. If youre buying from Zentaizone you should check off the "Extra Mask" option, for 15 dollars you basically get an extra mask which you can use to experiment on, its also cool to display the mask on a foam head. Also, I want to mention that I tried using the half faceshell with the zentaizone suit and it didnt work as well as it did with the black spandex in the video. The mask in the video is thicker than the spandex zentaizone uses and hides the edges better. If you do end up going the faceshell route I would stick with the full faceshell for now. Good luck!!

I recently got a suit from Zentaizone and Im really happy with it! I dont have any other suits to compare it to but it definitely seems like a good value. If youre buying from Zentaizone you should check off the "Extra Mask" option, for 15 dollars you basically get an extra mask which you can use to experiment on, its also cool to display the mask on a foam head. Also, I want to mention that I tried using the half faceshell with the zentaizone suit and it didnt work as well as it did with the black spandex in the video. The mask in the video is thicker than the spandex zentaizone uses and hides the edges better. If you do end up going the faceshell route I would stick with the full faceshell for now. Good luck!!

Thank you for the ideas and warnings!

Ordering an extra mask sounds like a good idea. I will probably order one with lenses glued on and another for experimentation.

Cheers!

I used magnets without a faceshell for my Spider-Man costume last year, and it works pretty well. One downside though, when the mask isn't on your head, the magnets will attract each other and stick the two eyes together, but that's not a big deal.
Here's a pic, and the link to my thread if you want to see more:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=246578

tmp_1412-tmp_8391-2015-11-01 11.34.342105769642-165445566.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back