Mad Max: Fury Road - Nux Bird Bobblehead

The more I think about it, the more I think it's a large threaded bolt of some kind. Just thinking about how it might've been put together, it seems logical to me that they'd just take a large bolt, drill out a cavity in the skull, put it through and fasten the hex nut on the other side to it. Considering if this skull is actually a sculpted piece (vulture/crow skulls don't look very much like this does and my sculpted skull broke in the exact same place and manner a few occasions).

Gonna run to the hardware store today and see what I can't find.

Last edited:
PoopaPapaPalps I think you're on to something. Plow bolts and carriage bolts can have slightly domed tops. A length of threaded rod with an nut on one side and an acorn nut on the other may also look similar to whatever is going on in that poor bird's face.

Last edited by a moderator:
B Wo - Just got back from the hardware store with a couple carriage bolts and I'm pretty sure the actual thing is a bolt of some sort. Something industrial. The carriage bolts I have, the heads aren't tall enough but I will be making modifications to them and then cast them. I'll post photos of them here when I'm done.

Not sure if it's much we haven't seen before, but it's high rez.
6MdO6Y1.jpg

Wow, just looking at that and my skull sculpt, it broke exactly the same spot as mine has.

Also, looks like I'm gonna have to pick up some washers for my next batch of bobbles, no more soldering springs on the jaw for me!

Last edited:
If this is from today, we need to get somebody from the UK down there to get photos!

GO GOOOOOooooo!!! :rolleyes

Looks like it runs through the 28th. I'm not sure if the Mad Max cars will be there the whole time, but it seems like it would be a lot of effort to set them up just for a day.

Edit: looks like pop rivets holding it to the dash?

Guys, I think the spring is the inner valve spring on a cylinder head, that one is much smaller than the big heavy outer spring.
That would lead me to believe that the little shaft in there is a valve or toasted valve.

an update, I printed a pic of the nux bird at a large scale, the base I got looks pretty close in scale. The ink well neck is not as curvy as I'l like, but with the hose barb and the claws machine, it should be a good close enough.
Im not sure if I should keep on with finding the correct one or spending the extra dough, this may be my "close enough" for now. thoughts?

coupling 5.JPGcoupling 4.JPGcoupling 3.JPGcoupling 1.JPGcoupling  2.JPG

If I do keep this I may be selling 3 of them cheap. I'm making a going away gift for a buddy and this will be the base as I wont have time for the other style if I do get it.
I have a resin skull coming, I may reshape it and sculpt onto it. It will get real bolts and ball bearing on the eyes. I have about a solid week to get the gift done and a custom model car done for him.
besides making one for my desk!

I wondered the same thing about the proportion if it was too short. But the price for the lot was ok and i got them quick.

The other thing i wonder is fit the main body tooling gets better as the hose barb size get bigger? Then it would make sense if the proportion is smaller.

i will post three in the junkyard later today.

I found some springs at Ace hardware ($1.80 ea) that seem to match the pics. Size wise it looks good with the crow castings, bobbles nicely, and measures 7/8" across. If your coupler had a 1" opening, we'd be golden! Will throw up a pic tonight.

Well i can and will be machining the hose end off, i can open it up to an inch or slightly over. I finished a retirement gift this morning and was told to take the rest of the day off. So no extra credit work

Update, I took another look at the couplers i got, they are 3/4" and the inkwell is also about 3/4 at the widest point, it means I dont have enough meat to drill down the larger hole. I will check the spring box tomorrow at work before heading to the hardware store.

As far as the actual Minquip items, i found a 3/4 and a 1.25" pics, but cant find the 1" pics.
I swear I found a pic of a 1" sample, I didnt save it out. I did however find a 1.25" sample and that one may be a bigger scale.
I think the 1" may be the correct one.
the pic attached below is 1.25" minquip coupling.
1.25 coupling.JPG

I got my raven skull today, but forgot my scale prints at work.
I really want to work on this right now.

another update.
I did a old school ghetto photoshop right over my screen, did a tracing and i feel i have a good size.
I started tonight. Cut the coupler ends, yeah there is some meat in ther to drill out the hole a bit, i found a proper sized eye nut. I really want to use an actual wiper arm. I may have to hit the parking lot to measure some before commiting.
Here is where im at.

bird update.jpeg

1.25 coupling.JPG

bird update.jpeg

@Abelugo Your's is coming along great! You're almost there.

I ordered a 1" crowfoot fitting from a valve company called Dixon. It should be here today or tomorrow. I'm going to see if my go-to guy in the machine shop will clean it up for me. There were no great pictures of the Dixon fitting online. I'm anxious to see how it looks.

@Interceptor6 Thanks for the lead to Ace for the spring.

Was there ever a consensus of what made up the crow skull's other eye?

Edit: spacing for better legibility

DSC07043.JPG
I found some springs at Ace hardware ($1.80 ea) that seem to match the pics. Size wise it looks good with the crow castings, bobbles nicely, and measures 7/8" across. If your coupler had a 1" opening, we'd be golden! Will throw up a pic tonight.
Here's my 7/8" spring over a screenshot. The wiper arm is off a 1935 Chevy, and measures 4" total length after cutting down the shaft and reattaching the front tip, (also cut down). Most of the vintage wiper arms are too long for our use, so watch for auctions with a tape measure in the picture!

Was there ever a consensus of what made up the crow skull's other eye?

Not yet, I still think it's 2 standard nuts, and the "black orb" visible behind it, is something like JB weld built up to hold the nuts in place. Hope they ship a few cars to the states so we can see them too!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back