Mad Max: Fury Road - Nux Bird Bobblehead

Wow, it certainly captures the look of the bobblebird great. The bends on the very bottom tip crimp the tongue shape into place.
FOr the base, try the local hardware store old style pipe fitting section.

great job!

Thanks for that! I didn't even notice it was crimped, I'll adjust my designs accordingly. Got the base and spring already, everything is in order; they just need to be pieced together.:wacko

I was meaning to put this up yesterday but I made some alterations to the skull further after I took these photos that I felt it didn't warrant me putting up "old" photos of it. Either way, I'm going to put this up.

I've been working on this for the past few days. Sculpted it out of Super Sculpey (I really hate this stuff, I finally remembered) and then extensively modified with Apoxie Sculpt. The basic shape, I think, is done for the most part; just some further refining to go. The jaw is made out of weld plate that I cut from a pattern I designed, again, it still needs some work. The mouth greebs and then some distressing is in my immediate future. Figuring out how to weld the spring to the jaw is something I've got to figure out, as well.

View attachment 483553View attachment 483554View attachment 483555

Things I've done so far since these photos: cut more out the back of the skull so the jaw sits farther in and further back, trimmed down some of the jaw sidewalls, and then added some more definition to the skull shape.

Things I've got to do next: sand and refine the skull some more and then work on the mouth greebs.

Any and all thoughts are welcome!

That's great work! The only thing I'd mention is the crimping that Abelugo covered. Can't wait to see it finished.

My thinking, as well. Working on mine and basing it off of these photos, and comparing it to real raven/crow skulls, the one used on Nux's is drastically different from the real thing. I'm thinking this skull was sculpted or some copy based on a real thing. It's way too solid for it to be a real thing. I've already had to fix my skull twice now, it having snapped from my attempts to make is as thin as the real thing looks.

EDIT: Updates on the skull.

Gonna call it "done" for now before I mess it up beyond repair. Here it is with some more refining and further modified with the proto-jaw (working on new patterns for the jaw, now).

005.JPG002.JPG006.JPG003.JPG004.JPG001.JPG

Last edited:
I was meaning to put this up yesterday but I made some alterations to the skull further after I took these photos that I felt it didn't warrant me putting up "old" photos of it. Either way, I'm going to put this up.

I've been working on this for the past few days. Sculpted it out of Super Sculpey (I really hate this stuff, I finally remembered) and then extensively modified with Apoxie Sculpt. The basic shape, I think, is done for the most part; just some further refining to go. The jaw is made out of weld plate that I cut from a pattern I designed, again, it still needs some work. The mouth greebs and then some distressing is in my immediate future. Figuring out how to weld the spring to the jaw is something I've got to figure out, as well.

View attachment 483553View attachment 483554View attachment 483555

Things I've done so far since these photos: cut more out the back of the skull so the jaw sits farther in and further back, trimmed down some of the jaw sidewalls, and then added some more definition to the skull shape.

Things I've got to do next: sand and refine the skull some more and then work on the mouth greebs.

Any and all thoughts are welcome!

MEDIOCRE! (fantastic!!!).:eek

Found your spring its a lifter spring off the head of a V8 engine of some sort id guess probably a ford as alot of the cars in the movie are made by the Australian version of Ford. Check online or just pop by a automotive shop they should have some old ones lying around.

p43010a.jpg41327-KVS56.JPG

the lower jaw could be a headlight wiper? They used a mercedes w116 for one of the vehicles which is the only vehicle as far as I can tell that would have had headlight wipers stock. maybe they salvaged some parts from that rig to make other props?

Found your spring its a lifter spring off the head of a V8 engine of some sort id guess probably a ford as alot of the cars in the movie are made by the Australian version of Ford. Check online or just pop by a automotive shop they should have some old ones lying around.

View attachment 484076View attachment 484077

I was thinking that too at first, but
is it too stiff to bobble properly though?

Thats a valve spring, the outer is very stiff, the inner may be useable for that pupose. But once again if you hit up a hardware store they usually have a spring selection.

I was thinking that too at first, but
is it too stiff to bobble properly though?

That's a grey area it definitely holds the same shape but i have no idea if one would bobble like that all the ones ive taken off of cars have been performance parts so they usually hold their stiffness pretty well.

That's a grey area it definitely holds the same shape but i have no idea if one would bobble like that all the ones ive taken off of cars have been performance parts so they usually hold their stiffness pretty well.

That's why I thought maybe a hood pop up spring.. But it might not even be off a car for all we know.
He was bobblying pretty good. I love how he's just "saying" YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH in agreement to Nux's what lovely day line.
There is a performance there by this little bird. LOL

The lower jaw looks like the read arm from a hard drive combined with the wiper idea. There are a ton of different styles of arms.

ArmHardDrive800.jpg

For the spring I would take the completed head and go to the hardware store and test out various spring weights. Valve springs will not move unless under some serious load.

Last edited:
Funny you mentioned that just now, I just spent most of the day trying to make that grill in the jaw: failed miserably at it.

I'm working with copper to do it and I'm intent on doing it with copper (I have a good bit of it to get through:lol). Gotta get back to the drawing board.

Just got in my copy of The Art of Mad Max and it had a picture of the bobblehead from a slightly different angle. Thought it might help.

IMAG3510.jpg

Hi! about the spring the valve springs wouldn't bobble if they went over a cliff it has to look substantial and bobble Well all You 3d printer folks with 3mm PLA or ABS try this get yourself a piece of wood metal approx 25mm. round cut a piece of filament about 30cm 45ncm long take out the trusty heat gun . Tape one end of filament securely to the armature gentkly heat around 150mm @ a time and wind. round the armature. You will end up with thisDSC00439.JPG only You will take more time an do it exactly.There is all the Bobble You need right there Please have a go it works. I used PLA I haven't tried ABS. Further if You are making this nux bobblehead the spring is not man enough still it may come in usefull if yor ever stuck for a spring,

Last edited:
There is also that guide rod in the center of the spring, pretty sure that keeps him bobbling "yes" with authority.

I think the rod certainly plays a part in the bobbling action (is there such a word?) As I see it. The rod prevents the spring from going too far and doubling over the poor crows skull wouldn't last long without it being there.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back