Mad Max: Fury Road - Immortan Joe voice modulation

cpperry

Hey all. I know there are about five other threads on Joe's mask, but I didn't want to hijack those to discuss this specific aspect.

Do any of you more experienced prop fellows know what kind of voice modulation/amplification was used on Hugh for Joe's voice in the film? Was it done in post? Or practically during the shoot.

And in either case, anyone have an idea of a good way to go about recreating it in a mask build? I've been looking at voice modulators. and possibly building one, but I'd love to know what you guys think.

It seems that some sound may have been post, though if you are building a mask, you can hide what ever you want/need in the rear bellows of the mask near the back of your head.
It also seems like people building the mask are not building this part, but I think its an integral part of the character.

what kind of voice modulation/amplification was used on Hugh for Joe's voice in the film? Was it done in post? Or practically during the shoot.

I would presume that a lot of it was done ADR due to the noise of fans and engines on set. The effect sounds like a guy yelling through a bedpan. Seems to be HKB affecting his own voice a bit, and they either added some reverb in post or had him talk into a metal can in the studio, then muffled the highs a bit. I'm guessing.

Totally winging a solution here - If you sealed the mask to your face fairly well with foam and had a clear open path through the hoses to your bellows - you could terminate your hoses inside the bellows to some coffee cans. If you yell into the mask, the combination of reverb in the cans and muffling of the bellows seems to me like it would be a decent approximation - if not exactly 'simple'. Best I can think of practically. It doesn't sound like a modulated or amplified effect and I doubt you can get a 'big' enough reverb just using the mask.

It seems that some sound may have been post, though if you are building a mask, you can hide what ever you want/need in the rear bellows of the mask near the back of your head.
It also seems like people building the mask are not building this part, but I think its an integral part of the character.

I fully agree. One way or another I'm going to make it part of my build.

I would presume that a lot of it was done ADR due to the noise of fans and engines on set. The effect sounds like a guy yelling through a bedpan. Seems to be HKB affecting his own voice a bit, and they either added some reverb in post or had him talk into a metal can in the studio, then muffled the highs a bit. I'm guessing.

Totally winging a solution here - If you sealed the mask to your face fairly well with foam and had a clear open path through the hoses to your bellows - you could terminate your hoses inside the bellows to some coffee cans. If you yell into the mask, the combination of reverb in the cans and muffling of the bellows seems to me like it would be a decent approximation - if not exactly 'simple'. Best I can think of practically. It doesn't sound like a modulated or amplified effect and I doubt you can get a 'big' enough reverb just using the mask.

I've been messing around with just my respirator, and I think you're right. I'm betting I can get there this way and build whatever it is into the mask and bellows on the back. Thanks!

I asked if the voice effect was part of the mask, or altered in post. She answered that it was altered in post. Unfortunately that's all the info she provided.

I want to replicate it also. :/

Do you know how they modified it? I think a lot of us would love to replicate it.

I realize this is an older thread but before anyone else goes to the trouble, here's speech re-enforcement through two soup cans, placed in the side of what will be the form which I'm building a breather bag.

I don't have the vocal chops of my 6'7 brother who can pretty much do the voice all natural but this is a huge improvement over me talking through the mask.

Quick fly around tour:
[video]https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3RaF3W517xfSXYtSzQ0MzF1Ujg[/video]

Like said, i dont got the pipes.
[video]https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3RaF3W517xfZzZiSVUwbVJYcFk[/video]

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back