Machine Hummingbird [Ornithopter Concept]

armamentfactory

Sr Member
Taking a short break from hiatus.

Here's a little something inspired by Dune.

I drew up the concept some time last year, and just got around to building it non-scale.

It's about 4 inches long, with a 9 inch wingspan. Articulated, too.

9mm cutter for scale.

It still needs a few tweaks & surface details, but I'm happy with the geometry & proportions so far. I'm also thinking about adding joints to the weapon pods.

Thanks for looking!

-armamentfactory

Last edited:
Most of the Dune ornithopter designs I have seen over the years have usually been pretty unconvincing, but yours breaks the mold, looks cool and looks like it could actually work.

That looks quite nice. It seems like it might actually work AND look good on screen, something that no previous Dune thopter concept can claim. It would be cool to see it animated.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Very graceful looking
Thanks!

Very cool design!
Thanks!

Awesome work! very creative :) i love how it's posable
Thanks! I couldn't imagine building it without articulation.:lol

Indeed! I can imagine a stop-motion-short with it.
Now that's something I didn't even think of! I was too busy trying to build a toy!

Most of the Dune ornithopter designs I have seen over the years have usually been pretty unconvincing, but yours breaks the mold, looks cool and looks like it could actually work.
Thanks! I thought there was room for improvement with the existing designs, and eventually this happened. I suppose it follows most of the sci-fi aircraft rules (it'll fly somehow) except a bit more feasible? haha!

That looks quite nice. It seems like it might actually work AND look good on screen, something that no previous Dune thopter concept can claim. It would be cool to see it animated.
Thanks! I guess the concept is grounded in enough reality that it's dangerously close to feasible? Now I'd love to see it in motion too!

Update:

I managed to add panel lines to the fuselage, and reshaped the back end of the canopy section.

Access panels, intake vents, air brakes, fuselage vector thrusters, nav lights. Check.

I also changed the tail stabilizer's shape a bit, and detailed the weapon/landing gear pods.

With the spread "Feathers" this reminds me of the plane in "Ghost in the Shell: Innocence". The overall style is quite Ghost in the Shell like. Really cool! I like :)

That's exactly what I was thinking, GITS, but I was thinking of the sniper helicopter from the first film.

Also, it reminds me of something from one of William Gibson's earlier books, I forget which one. Not Neuromancer. It had some small, stealthy craft with camo and folding wings IIRC.

-MJ

That's exactly what I was thinking, GITS, but I was thinking of the sniper helicopter from the first film.

Also, it reminds me of something from one of William Gibson's earlier books, I forget which one. Not Neuromancer. It had some small, stealthy craft with camo and folding wings IIRC.

-MJ
Shirow/GitS is always a good source of inspiration! Although I couldn't quite figure out what the chopper's articulated wings actually did. Enhanced stability, maybe?

Got some detail work done on the wings. I'm considering rebuilding the stand to give it a little more dynamic poses.

-armamentfactory

-MJ

Count Zero : Turner left it hidden in the woods.

Great design, definitely late 21st century!!!!

The silhouette ould also make an awesome mission patch. ;)

patch.png

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back