M-16's on the Moon! Help ID this "For All Mankind" Weapon (pics)

BrianM

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi Guys,

This scene from the new For All Mankind season 2 trailer blew me away. This looks to me to be standard issue stuff painted white. Maybe arctic gear?

I know somebody out in the collective can ID these parts. I really want to put one of these together.

Help,
BrinanM

FAM_01.jpg

FAM_02.jpg

FAM_03.jpg

FAM_04.jpg

The body of the rifle is an M16A2 but with an M4 style collapsible stock. The scope is an old M16 carry handle scope, there cheap knock offs available and Brownell's makes a replica but it costs a lot more than the knock off.s

Here's the Brownell's replica of the M16 scope, cheaper versions can be found on eBay.

The stock can be found pretty much anywhere since it's just a standard issue M4 style stock.

The base rifle itself might be a little more difficult since the M16A2 style body and M4 collapsible stocks are an odd combo, at least in airsoft. The problem comes with the buffer tube since the M16 with fixed stock has a different style of buffer tube from an M4 style rifle with collapsible stock. I don't know if M16 style airsofts have replaceable buffer tubes and M4 style rifles generally don't have the M16A2 style handgrips, front sight group, and carry handle on top. Some cheaper airsofts might but they'll almost certainly be too short since the M4 is much shorter than the M16.

Interesting. Brings to mind that the bullet will not mushroom if fired in a vacuum and if no gravity is present will fly straight forever...considering Newton's Laws of motion.

TazMan2000

It's actually an M16A1 base (no case deflector on the receiver, shape of the forward assist). Which would also be more period correct.

Interesting. Brings to mind that the bullet will not mushroom if fired in a vacuum and if no gravity is present will fly straight forever...considering Newton's Laws of motion.

TazMan2000
The M16 round is designed to tumble on impact for greater wounding. One of the problems in a jungle, lots of vegetation to mess up the flight of the bullet. :lol:

David.

i gotta ask....why would a bullet not expand in a vacuum?

Friction with air causes a standard bullet on Earth to melt. However, even in a vacuum there could be particles in the bullets path to change its trajectory and mushroom it. Mind you this is all just my theory. Perhaps the newly formed Space Force will soon find out if this is true.

TazMan2000

The Mythbusters fired a .357 in a vacuum chamber and when the bullet hit the bullet proof glass it actually mushroomed slightly more than the same test without the vacuum because it traveled slightly faster.

Friction with air causes a standard bullet on Earth to melt. However, even in a vacuum there could be particles in the bullets path to change its trajectory and mushroom it. Mind you this is all just my theory. Perhaps the newly formed Space Force will soon find out if this is true.

TazMan2000
A bullet does not travel fast enough to "melt". This is a myth. Take a look at high speed photography of rounds fired into targets, the bullet is not "melted". Deformation only comes from impacting another object.
There is gravity on the moon, but no air. So virtually no resistance to the bullet's speed. Because of gravity on the moon, if the round was fired parallel to the surface, in theory, the round could circle the moon, and hit you in the back. (Highly unlikely though)

Those are my suits and if I remember, for the shot above, they where using some type of "air-soft" replica firearm. I'll ask the propmaster when we start back up.

Thanks Imgill. After studying internal and external ballistics while in gunsmith school and
40 years in the firearms business, I was looking forward to the explanation of bullets expanding
without impact.

A bullet does not travel fast enough to "melt". This is a myth. Take a look at high speed photography of rounds fired into targets, the bullet is not "melted". Deformation only comes from impacting another object.
There is gravity on the moon, but no air. So virtually no resistance to the bullet's speed. Because of gravity on the moon, if the round was fired parallel to the surface, in theory, the round could circle the moon, and hit you in the back. (Highly unlikely though)

Those are my suits and if I remember, for the shot above, they where using some type of "air-soft" replica firearm. I'll ask the propmaster when we start back up.

I guess I was under the misconception that they did. My childhood friend's father was a hunter and there were dozens of hunting magazines there where the bullet manufacturers photographed bullets in mid flight and developed better tips which would prevent mushrooming and thusly the bullet will fly straighter. Taken in by that. Another reason not to believe anyone involved in sales. I never bothered questioning it since I thought it was proven knowledge.

TazMan2000

there is never ending development by ammunition companies to develop the ideal bullet that has
Adequate penetration and good expansion.

TazMan2000

Let me don my space nerd hat...Nothing in space goes in a straight line. It would end up in orbit around whatever planet it was fired from or local star.

That is all.

Let me don my space nerd hat...Nothing in space goes in a straight line. It would end up in orbit around whatever planet it was fired from or local star.

That is all.

I did mention that gravity affects that. Unlike modern day sci fi, there is actually a LOT of "space" in space. But yes, even the gravity of our sun has far reaching effects. Or so I've read...in a hunting magazine.

TazMan2000

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back