M-16's on the Moon! Help ID this "For All Mankind" Weapon (pics)

Those are my suits and if I remember, for the shot above, they where using some type of "air-soft" replica firearm. I'll ask the propmaster when we start back up.

That would be excellent. Did you go with smaller gloves so you would not need extra large triggers?

BrianM

The M16 round is designed to tumble on impact for greater wounding. One of the problems in a jungle, lots of vegetation to mess up the flight of the bullet. :lol:

David.

It wasn't so much the 5.56 round used when the first M16s were fielded so much as the design of the rifle itself. The barrels of the M16/M16A1 had relatively low twist rate in the rifling of the barrel in order to cause the tumbling effect. However, as time went on, the twisting of the rifling got tighter and tighter in order to make the rounds more accurate.

That would be excellent. Did you go with smaller gloves so you would not need extra large triggers?

BrianM
Yes. They went with Gemini gloves. They did this not only for the firearms, but also some of the smaller props.

WOW! Nailed it.
Now who knows where to get a silver finish Airsoft M-16?

BrianM
Silver_Paints.JPG

Pick one. ;)

From the pictures it looks like an WE M16A1 upper atleast (the cut underneath the rear sight is distinguishable, not positive though.) I think they may have changed some parts out, ie grips, buffer, stock. I just realized the lower is an A1 as well with A2 parts. (Profile of support underneath the buffer)

Last edited:
My guess is these came from a prop shop, possibly ISS (independent Studio Services) and they are an older in stock rental gun they had that was customized. Or, the prop person used the term "Airsoft" as a generic term for a non-real gun.

From the pictures it looks like an WE M16A1 upper atleast (the cut underneath the rear sight is distinguishable, not positive though.) I think they may have changed some parts out, ie grips, buffer, stock. I just realized the lower is an A1 as well with A2 parts. (Profile of support underneath the buffer)

Yes! It's an A1 lower as well, I was just about to point that out.

A1 Upper and Lower, A2 handguard, A2 ejection port cover, no trigger guard, M4 stock, can't tell on the pistol grip, and a Colt style scope.

The barrels look like they might be A2 but, I can't really tell from the screen grab. They just look a bit to meaty to be A1 barrels.

I think there is a little bit of a chamfer from the pencil profile to go up to the birdcage, but I can't tell from the quality of the pictures.

Good progress! I would remove the trigger guard though as it's missing in the screen grabs. Which makes sense, a gloved hand (bulky gloves) can be challenging to operate this rifle with the guard present.

Here is a nice clip from season 2 of the M-16's as well as Global Effects' EMU spacesuits and LM interior.

Last edited:
A bullet does not travel fast enough to "melt". This is a myth. Take a look at high speed photography of rounds fired into targets, the bullet is not "melted". Deformation only comes from impacting another object.
There is gravity on the moon, but no air. So virtually no resistance to the bullet's speed. Because of gravity on the moon, if the round was fired parallel to the surface, in theory, the round could circle the moon, and hit you in the back. (Highly unlikely though)

Those are my suits and if I remember, for the shot above, they where using some type of "air-soft" replica firearm. I'll ask the propmaster when we start back up.

Necro thread I know.

Are those your suits from "From the Earth to the Moon" or did you build up new ones? Just curious.

Also, thinking of building up a live fire replica. Seems pretty straightforward

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back