Luke ANH vs. ESB Lightsaber + TFA. Do I have this right??

It also looks certain that there is a kobold clip on the bottom. If you brighten up some high res pics from google you can see it clear as day! D-ring looks the same shape too, not sure about rivet placements (or if they're screws haha)

I think I'll keep my ESB as a quasi-TFA until I can get a second red button (the beer tab looks cool anyway)

Last edited:
It also looks certain that there is a kobold clip on the bottom. If you brighten up some high res pics from google you can see it clear as day! D-ring looks the same shape too, not sure about rivet placements (or if they're screws haha)

I think I'll keep my ESB as a quasi-TFA until I can get a second red button (the beer tab looks cool anyway)

There re is a good thread someone where they have freeze frames from the trailer it is a kobold dring for sure. I really like how they built it so close to the ESB version

According to the VD, those red buttons aren't for igniting the blade anyway. One is for shortening, lengthening the ignited blade (I believe). Of course that is the Visual Dictionary. I think the VD said the other button was to silence the saber when it receives an incoming message when Luke is in an important meeting or on another call.

:lol Those visual dictionary things used to be my Star Wars bible as a kid, now I can see how much they were just winging it

Picked up my Graflex for a TFA build. I LOVE the ESB grips + board with the glass eye!

I will be waiting to see it before I start the build, though, like others have said. Don't want to jump the gun just yet and miss any details.

But going on what we have now, yes, it is the entire ESB set up with a glass eye + beer tab

Last edited:
According to the VD, those red buttons aren't for igniting the blade anyway. One is for shortening, lengthening the ignited blade (I believe). Of course that is the Visual Dictionary. I think the VD said the other button was to silence the saber when it receives an incoming message when Luke is in an important meeting or on another call.

Oh man that makes me think differently now... Maybe the igniter is on the control box like obiwans?

Has anyone noticed that in some ANH shots the lever isn't folded down? I'm guessing we can assume the bubble strip was pinched or slid in without work done on it - just clamp it in as far as you can and go film! Either they had a lot of them or over time they finally cut it down to size when they had the time.

Oh man that makes me think differently now... Maybe the igniter is on the control box like obiwans?

From what I remember (especially given ROTJ and how Mark Hamill used the prop) the clamps were the activation buttons. The Bubbles, circuit board or whatever was a big thumb sized button they they pressed on the ignite the blade.

TAPE:

ANH: NO TAPE ANYWHERE

ESB: Thin smooth tape ONLY.... ONLY... ONLY... on screen. Every scene I have seen or studied... just the 1/2" mylar tape... That 1" textured tape is post production, and not related to the movie at all.... at least nothing I've ever seen on a hero piece on screen.

From what I remember (especially given ROTJ and how Mark Hamill used the prop) the clamps were the activation buttons. The Bubbles, circuit board or whatever was a big thumb sized button they they pressed on the ignite the blade.

Yes that's right! Right before Luke says " I'll never turn to the dark side" good thinking Tom!!

Just for clarification: on the ESB saber, was the beer tab AND the rivet removed? If the rivet was removed too, was just an open hole left?

What about the bottoms???

Do any have the FOLMER instead of the GRAFLEX, INC?

gresb4a.jpg

Dose anyone have the correct measurements for Anakin Skywalkers 1st light saber? I am trying to build one from scratch and add some special effects to it for comic con this fall.

Yep... Close up screen grabs of the Wampa scene seem to indicate that the word "New" is present... Meaning it could only be a Folmer and not a Graflex Inc. bottom...

Is that right? Do you have any of those screen grabs? I don't have any showing FOLMER. :eek

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back