Luke ANH vs. ESB Lightsaber + TFA. Do I have this right??

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Tom1971, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

I have been studying up on the differences. I want to make sure I have this right.

Both classic Graflex 3 Cell flash handle

ANH:

Bear Tab included

Calculator bubbles on clamp for ANH.

Graflex Logo covered ????????????????????????? I assume it was covered by some tape as well.

Graflex Original clear eye on the bottom for ANH.

7 Grip strips. Glued

Simple folded metal and riveted for D ring

ESB:

Bear tape on some, not on others.

Circuit board thing for ESB clamp

Graflex logo on clamp covered two ways. On some a 1/2" piece of mylar tape and others a 1" piece of textured aluminum tape

Added big red button with texture grip base from second Graflex to replace glass eye in ESB. So it had the same big red button assembly on the top and bottom.

6 grip strips with notches to the rear and riveted or screwed in in addition to being glued.

Kobold slide on reflector mount for D ring. Notch facing out on some. Flipped over for others like Wampa scene.

TFA:

Same as ESB only they ditched the big red bottom button assembly for a original glass eye which makes it slightly off from the ESB one Luke lost

Do I have that all right???

2. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i think we have ruled that in the force awakens trailer the beer tab is still there, and there is no silver tape around the clamp. there is a thread around here with people debunking it

3. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Activation Lever

ESB:

Right side on the bottom

ANH:

Also right side on the bottom.

Master Replicas had one that had the activator switch on the left top side. That was the LE and the Elite had it like ESB on the right and down.

I assume the MR L.E. was wrong???

4. Serenity

Serenity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't think there was tape on the ANH saber. At least, I've never seen anything firm to indicate it in any promo or screen shots.

Also, the clamp switched positioned between filming and the promo shots. The clamp lever is on the left side when Luke is handed it for the first time, and also in the training scene, but is on the right side in the publicity photos.

thd9791 and Andymac84 like this.
  5. Serenity

Filming/On set:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Promo/Toe pic:
    [​IMG]

Andymac84 and mugatu like this.
  6. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Just saw a great shot showing the bear tab on TFA saber but it also looks like there is just a hole and no glass eye????

7. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The problem is the beer tab or the number of grips. What I would do is decide which saber I like the most, and if you need to wait to see TFA to decide, I would wait. If your favorite is ANH or ESB, and you are sure of that, I'd go with that one.

8. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

So for ANH screen accuracy the activator is on the left top. Excellent. The MR Elite is wrong and LE is right as far as the movie.

9. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

If I can re-build my collection I will have all three :)

Andymac84 and mugatu like this.
  10. mugatu

Yes, I forgot the best option: all three. So you want three separate saber's or less than three with interchangeable pieces?

11. halliwax

oh no, the glass eye is there for sure ;)

12. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Coolio.

13. halliwax

[​IMG]
    you can see the ring around the eye piece here

14. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Three separate. I will also have Vader ANH, ESB, ROTJ. Luke ROTJ Reveal. Like before. I had 22 sabers total. 18 Helmets, and lots of other stuff. I will rebuild,....maybe :wacko

- - - Updated - - -

The ring is there obviously but here and in the great pic showing the bear tab I can not see the eye. But as you say it's there. Really should be the big red button though.

15. Wolfsburg

Wolfsburg Sr Member

Where is the pic showing the TFA beer tab? Don't think I've seen it!

16. halliwax

ill dig around today, there was stills taken from the trailer, leia turns the saber around in her hand. before that is when i believe guys on here have ruled the beer tab is in place, it may be in the graflex TFA thread, ill report back when i find it

17. Gphalen

Gphalen Well-Known Member

For a battle damaged saber, that fell through a shoot into a open sky from the city in the clouds. Loosing only the bulb eject button (Big red Button)not bad, no blood from Luke`s hand, no damage from the obvious thousands of feet it fell with a hand attached to it, Morbid to say the least!

I prefer Lukes Light saber over Anakins which is Star Wars, Esb luke saber =/

18. roygilsing

roygilsing Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is the image with the beer tab 'visible':
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434208721.391044.jpg
    This was posted by mvanwalks421

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    mugatu likes this.
  19. halliwax

God bless you Roy, I was going nuts looking

roygilsing likes this.
  20. halliwax

My my theory behind this is this... Luke added an extra red button for ease of igniting the saber now having the button on both sides. If you look at the way hamill holds the graflex the bunny ears face down, I would figure it would be held the other way around. Bunny ears up, or should I say bunny ears in facing yourself. This is how Anika's holds it in ROTS. Anyway, maybe Luke liked to hold the saber like that but the button was uncomfortable so he added another red button for ease...

this is is where my fan fiction goes off the chart ready? Lol many times on dagobah you see the graflex with the top (bunny ear side) red button missing, while training maybe yoda said 2 buttons was like cheating and you should only have 1 activation button. And Luke was training with the more comfortable button he recently added..

this is is totally debunked because we see Luke on bespin with 2 red buttons again racing the halls and chasing boba fett... But that's how I always explained those scenes to myself.

as for the saber falling all they way down from cloud city I don't think like that. it could have been sucked up and dumped somewhere else in cloud city, OR it could have landed on something below them. Something I never noticed until recently watching was when Luke is sucked out the window the saber is in hand, he's then hanging on the edge and you can see the saber on the platform to the left...

you never know what's going to happen because we never saw where the saber ended up

if we want to get super technical the saber in Luke's hand when cut off is the stunt from ANH with 7 grips instead of 6, and I don't think it even has bunny ears on it lol

21. mortifactor

mortifactor Well-Known Member

It also looks certain that there is a kobold clip on the bottom. If you brighten up some high res pics from google you can see it clear as day! D-ring looks the same shape too, not sure about rivet placements (or if they're screws haha)

I think I'll keep my ESB as a quasi-TFA until I can get a second red button (the beer tab looks cool anyway)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  22. halliwax

There re is a good thread someone where they have freeze frames from the trailer it is a kobold dring for sure. I really like how they built it so close to the ESB version

23. mugatu

According to the VD, those red buttons aren't for igniting the blade anyway. One is for shortening, lengthening the ignited blade (I believe). Of course that is the Visual Dictionary. I think the VD said the other button was to silence the saber when it receives an incoming message when Luke is in an important meeting or on another call.

LTsmash1200 and Wolfsburg like this.
  24. mortifactor

mortifactor Well-Known Member

:lol Those visual dictionary things used to be my Star Wars bible as a kid, now I can see how much they were just winging it

25. RexKramer

RexKramer Well-Known Member

Picked up my Graflex for a TFA build. I LOVE the ESB grips + board with the glass eye!

I will be waiting to see it before I start the build, though, like others have said. Don't want to jump the gun just yet and miss any details.

But going on what we have now, yes, it is the entire ESB set up with a glass eye + beer tab

halliwax likes this.
  26. mugatu

And the beer tab and rivet.

RexKramer likes this.
  27. RexKramer

RexKramer Well-Known Member

Realized I left that out JUST as I saw your reply.

Thumbs up!

mugatu likes this.
  28. halliwax

Oh man that makes me think differently now... Maybe the igniter is on the control box like obiwans?

thd9791 likes this.
  29. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Has anyone noticed that in some ANH shots the lever isn't folded down? I'm guessing we can assume the bubble strip was pinched or slid in without work done on it - just clamp it in as far as you can and go film! Either they had a lot of them or over time they finally cut it down to size when they had the time.

30. thd9791

From what I remember (especially given ROTJ and how Mark Hamill used the prop) the clamps were the activation buttons. The Bubbles, circuit board or whatever was a big thumb sized button they they pressed on the ignite the blade.

mugatu and halliwax like this.
  31. scottjua

scottjua Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

TAPE:

ANH: NO TAPE ANYWHERE

ESB: Thin smooth tape ONLY.... ONLY... ONLY... on screen. Every scene I have seen or studied... just the 1/2" mylar tape... That 1" textured tape is post production, and not related to the movie at all.... at least nothing I've ever seen on a hero piece on screen.

mugatu and thd9791 like this.
  32. halliwax

Yes that's right! Right before Luke says " I'll never turn to the dark side" good thinking Tom!!

thd9791 likes this.
  33. Wolfsburg

Wolfsburg Sr Member

Just for clarification: on the ESB saber, was the beer tab AND the rivet removed? If the rivet was removed too, was just an open hole left?

mugatu likes this.
  34. mugatu

I believe it is just a hole there, but don't have any verifying photos.

Wolfsburg likes this.
  35. Panaflex

Panaflex Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes, a small, barely noticeable hole was left. If you are doing an ESB, Removal from the inside of the flash is recommended to avoid marring the finish.

Wolfsburg and mugatu like this.
  36. Romans Empire

Romans Empire Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What about the bottoms???

Do any have the FOLMER instead of the GRAFLEX, INC?

gresb4a.jpg

mugatu likes this.
  37. thesyfyguy

thesyfyguy Active Member

Dose anyone have the correct measurements for Anakin Skywalkers 1st light saber? I am trying to build one from scratch and add some special effects to it for comic con this fall.

38. Edraven99

Edraven99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yep... Close up screen grabs of the Wampa scene seem to indicate that the word "New" is present... Meaning it could only be a Folmer and not a Graflex Inc. bottom...

Romans Empire and mugatu like this.
  39. Romans Empire

Is that right? Do you have any of those screen grabs? I don't have any showing FOLMER. :eek

40. Serenity

Photo courtesy of Scott, I believe:
    [​IMG]

Romans Empire and mugatu like this.
  41. Romans Empire

I have this image, but could never really tell what it said. So it was determined that this image says FOLMER?

This is all news to me, so please excuse if this has been hashed to death already!! :lol

42. halliwax

I was curious about the location of the kobold in regards to the wording on the bottom. Now knowing it's a folmer and mine says graflex I'm not too concerned now..

43. Serenity

You can make out the "NEW YORK" on it, so the only Graflex it could be is the early Folmer one that has "NEW YORK" rather than "NY" - Or at least, it used the Folmer bottom.

Romans Empire likes this.
  44. halliwax

I can see that now "new " is upside down and backwards

45. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

46. Wolfsburg

Wolfsburg Sr Member

Yeah, I was afraid of that! Haha! I was hoping the rivet had been left in.

47. thd9791

I made the SRS saber (which, I know, is a post production design) which also had the rivet removed. I just left mine on. Still looks pretty awesome :cool

Screen Shot 2015-03-13 at 11.37.49 PM.png
    - - - Updated - - -

Just to clarify, that saber has no connection to any of the films. It came out of a collection at auction many years after - doesn't have the original Track used in the movies nor does it have a kobold clip (and those rivets!) no one knows where it came from!

given that the ROTJ Vader has the rivets still in, I would assume anything with rivets in it still has them today, by the way.

48. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

Excellent info.

Thanks

49. Jedifather

Jedifather Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think it's great that the Folmer/Graflex people made their camera flashgun look just like a lightsaber, :D

Personally I don't consider the replacement of the glass eye with the red button to be "in story." Prop handling seemed to be pretty careless back then. The glass eye
    was probably lost and they replaced it with something that fits perfect. Wasn't there another ESB saber that was missing the top red button?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    mugatu and thd9791 like this.
  50. mugatu

The Dagobah saber had one red button (at least in the shots that I've seen, where I can tell).