Lucasfilm seized my Master Replica props

IIRC then a CE mark is mandatory if you are a manufacturer and you want to export your product directly to EU market.

The way I read this is that: had Tim bought the sabers from any other retailer (amazon.com or whatever) he wouldn't have a problem. But because he bought the product (that didn't bare a CE mark) directly from the manufacturer , German customes had to confiscate the sabers......

Stefan

I´d have to double check on this before I say it with 100% certainty, but these rules do not (as far as I know) apply if you're a private citizen/consumer buying something. I suppose there could be some loophole when buying directly from the manufacturer, but that still seems a little strange. (Then again, you never know.) Anyway, it is only now the CE marking is being mentioned, so maybe we are getting somewhere.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kleine Stefan @ May 5 2006, 07:16 AM) [snapback]1238773[/snapback]</div>
IIRC then a CE mark is mandatory if you are a manufacturer and you want to export your product directly to EU market.

The way I read this is that: had Tim bought the sabers from any other retailer (amazon.com or whatever) he wouldn't have a problem. But because he bought the product (that didn't bare a CE mark) directly from the manufacturer , German customes had to confiscate the sabers......

Stefan
[/b]

Nope, it does not matter where these came from. And they did not come directly from MR.
It does not even matter if these were bought or gifts.

Tim

Personally if I were you I'd try and contact the Media, (News, Internet, etc...) if you are lucky enough it will spread quickly and then Lucasfilm or Master Replicas will eventually give in (Hopefully) and get you replacements. :)

I wouldn't let this go away for a second, it is YOUR money that was spent,
and YOUR props that were destroyed.

It should be no problem for MR to put CE-Stickers on their products. Hasbro did so and it the problem was gone. They don't even have to print new boxes, stickers are completley fine.
Please let the Y-Wing have an CE sticker, don't want it to be seized... :)

Tim, I stand correcten then. I thought you bought the from MR directly.

And putting a CE mark on a product is a big NO NO. You are only allowed to do that if your paperwork is OK. Without the correct paperwork.....no CE.

Stefan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kleine Stefan @ May 5 2006, 12:57 PM) [snapback]1238838[/snapback]</div>
And putting a CE mark on a product is a big NO NO. You are only allowed to do that if your paperwork is OK. Without the correct paperwork.....no CE.
[/b]

Hasbro did that with there Star Wars products in 1999 (Epsiode 1) for the first time and is still doing it.
I guess they have "correct paperwork" whatever you want to tell with that... but i guess MR can get these same papers too. So absolutly no problem.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ketzer.com @ May 5 2006, 09:30 AM) [snapback]1238780[/snapback]</div>
Nope, it does not matter where these came from. And they did not come directly from MR.
It does not even matter if these were bought or gifts.

Tim
[/b]
That last line is interesting - does that mean if someone buys something in the US, throws away all the packaging, uses it for a while - then sells it to someone in the EU they have to get it CE marked? I guess they are supposed to dig out the CE marking or not export it.... scary.

I'm starting to get a bit scared now with my QGJ LE from MR on a plane at this moment literally hours away from customs. :eek

Many thanks Ketzer for keeping us up to date with info as you get it - this is obviously of great concern to many of us EU residents.

Nope, I do not think that any prop without a box would cause a problem.
I seriously doubt they would have known what they have there, or who made it, if the box had not said so.

Don't worry too much about your stuff. MR ships thousands of their items to Europe, and appearently my stuff was the first ever to get seized.

Tim

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ketzer.com @ May 5 2006, 03:21 PM) [snapback]1238921[/snapback]</div>
Nope, I do not think that any prop without a box would cause a problem.
I seriously doubt they would have known what they have there, or who made it, if the box had not said so.

Don't worry too much about your stuff. MR ships thousands of their items to Europe, and appearently my stuff was the first ever to get seized.

Tim
[/b]

Good luck Tim. I hope MR spreads some good faith your way.

news from Amy:

------------------
Master Replicas has the worldwide license for prop replicas and has the right to sell these items in Europe. We have distributors and Authorized Retailers throughout Europe. Unfortunately, MR cannot control who US retailers and/or private parties sell to on e-bay. So, the German customs is not holding these minis for licensing issues.

The CE marking is required for products sold in 25 European Union (EU) and 3 European Free Trade Association (EFTA) member states that are classified in 22 groups of products. The closest category that the minis would fall into is toys. However, the definition of “toys” in this directive is “any product or material designed or clearly intended for use in play by children of less than 14 years of age.” Our packaging for the minis are clearly marked that these are adult collectibles and not intended for children. Therefore the “CE Marking” is not required on this product.

We are working with our contacts in Lucas Licensing to ensure that this is clarified.

Once again, we are sorry for the inconvenience this has caused.
------------------

Tim

Meaning = they are going to do nothing for you right?

If they don't back their own products then what good are they?

IF it was a case of a Recast or a Counterfeit item then I would understand their position.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ketzer.com @ May 5 2006, 04:00 PM) [snapback]1239183[/snapback]</div>
news from Amy:

------------------
Master Replicas has the worldwide license for prop replicas and has the right to sell these items in Europe. We have distributors and Authorized Retailers throughout Europe. Unfortunately, MR cannot control who US retailers and/or private parties sell to on e-bay. So, the German customs is not holding these minis for licensing issues.

The CE marking is required for products sold in 25 European Union (EU) and 3 European Free Trade Association (EFTA) member states that are classified in 22 groups of products. The closest category that the minis would fall into is toys. However, the definition of “toys” in this directive is “any product or material designed or clearly intended for use in play by children of less than 14 years of age.” Our packaging for the minis are clearly marked that these are adult collectibles and not intended for children. Therefore the “CE Marking” is not required on this product.

We are working with our contacts in Lucas Licensing to ensure that this is clarified.

Once again, we are sorry for the inconvenience this has caused.
------------------

Tim
[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BingoBongo275 @ Mar 28 2006, 06:59 AM) [snapback]1214697[/snapback]</div>
Originally posted by Darth Domain@Mar 28 2006, 10:56 AM
Wow. looks like they are really clamping down, i assume they are licensed?
This is all AA's fault, he's brought the un licensed bashers out.
<div align="right">[snapback]1214693[/snapback]

Blame AA, Blame AA

Burn the Witch.

:lol
[/b][/quote]

only if he is made of wood and floats...

oh and he DID turn me into a newt so... :unsure

Interesting update from MR although I'm still confused.

So is MR saying that its ok to buy in Europe so long as you do so via "autherised" MR dealers?

So is this a way to restrict the "grey market" movement of goods, something that the EU is usually against so only occurs when the manufacturer specifically requests intervention such as the long running Levi Jeans/Tesco Supermarket fiasco. If this was the case it would suggest thet MR raised an issue which would be surprising.

Cheers

Jez

ps old ken. "I got better" :lol

This is so disturbing that i will NOT buy another MR product ever again in the future.
MR is not doing anything to clear or to help.
They are only looking in the text of the word and they do not use common sence in this case. I do not want to risk using several houndreds of dollars on product that might get destructed. This case forces people to buy directly from MR.
I am a potential buyer with MR. But i can no longer buy from them because i am in risk of not selling them after igot tired of it or if i am not satisfied with it. Collectibles changes hands. But if they restricted because of this redicilouse case then i will not buy untill this case is resolved.

All in all what does this mean.??.
What if i buy a Vintage Star Wars Figure. Or Star wars toys on the net from someone who dont want them anymore?? If i buy someothing from a guy thatt have played with the toys when he was young and now grown out of it and dont have intrest for these items and he sell them... I might risk that i never get the items because they are not in the original packaging???

Also If MR does a mistake by not labeling the products with a CE mark then the customer who buys it from a private collector is doomed regardless.

For my sake i am forced to cancel one order due to this.
And sadly untill MR have fixed this problem i will not buy anoher product in sympathy with people who are affected by this.

MR :thumbsdown

Until MR resolves this I will recommend to everyone I know across the Internet NOT
to buy anything from them.

They can chose to do nothing about this situation, and it's my choice to recommend
that people avoid buying from them.

MR :thumbsdown :thumbsdown

I have to say I'm still thoroughly confused as to what's going on here.

First it seemed as though German Customs were authorised to destroy them by LFL based on parallel import laws. Then we get an explanation from an LFL lawyer saying that those lightsabers are exclusively for sale in the US market meaning it wouldn't of mattered who we bought them from including MR. Now we have MR saying that as far as they're concerned they are entitled to sell in Europe and LFL is mistaken. They don't feel their product requires CE approval even though they admit the lightsabers don't really fall into any clearly defined category and are fully reliant on customs reading the small print :confused

Seems like MR, LFL and German customs all need to sit around a table and hash out a coherent policy FAST while compensating the guy. MR telling us that this is the first time its happened is one thing but I want to know that it's going to be the last time. The only good thing is that these were relatively cheap items but could you imagine if this was the SS Falcon seized & destroyed :eek I would personally fly the remains back to MR.

As mentioned before if my pre-ordered Y-Wing will get seized you can see me going ape .
I checked at MR site for the European distributor and there is a company quoted called "cardsinc" in england.
This seems to be the ONLY retailer officially quoted by MR.
I checked back with them and asked for the Y-Wing. It is not in their product range, not in their catalouge.
So i have simply NO alternative than the USA to order this thing and i really want it.

MR is not responsible for this.

MR IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS.

I am sorry for shouting, but we are all so quick to jump in and burn ANY witch sometimes, and this is really not MRs fault. I applaud Amy at MR for responding with their stance on the matter and for getting involved- she clearly states that they are allowed to sell to Europe and that German customs cannot be holding the sabers because of a licensing issue.

We are talking about an isolated incident where GERMAN CUSTOMS are quite probably ILLEGALLY siezing a product because they DON'T KNOW THE FREAKIN' RULES. LFLs German lawyers seem also to not know the rules since they were involved in the decision as well.

For those that missed it:
I e-mailed Swedish customs. (Sweden is also part of the EU and has to follow the same import rules.) The answer I got was that the only time they would intervene in a case like this is if it involved TRADEMARK INFRINGEMENT (i.e. importing and selling pirated merchandise and the like). So unless Germany has a special exception allowance in their import rules, you can buy whatever you want, from wherever you want as long as you pay customs, sales tax and as long as it's not a restricted or illegal item (alcohol, drugs, endangered animal skins and so on).

Now let's everybody over here in Europe calm down (including me) and continue ordering stuff from all around the world. ;)

Tim, I'd really like to know if you've done any more digging. I'm thinking of calling a Swedish EU information office next week to see what they say about this.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back