Luc Besson's Lucy (Post-release)

No, it's not exactly like Akira, but I thought it shared many similarities, and is most likely a better movie than what would come about if someone actually did make a live action Akira.

Haven't seen The Signal. I'll have to check it out.

I remember someone saying a while back how The Signal looked like it would be a live-action Akira. Maybe that's why I was a little disappointed. There was a lot of "artsy" style in the filming of this movie. Anyone going into it expecting action will be pretty disappointed. It's a prett ystrange flick... a lot of mysteriousness and "WTF" moments that I'm not sure were fully explained, but it wasn't horrible.

It's definitely another case of "people making movie trailers should make movies" because they almost give you an entirely different idea of what to expect.

I'm figuring Lucy will be another case of that. It looks like it borrows A LOT from The Matrix. I'm guessing all those cool scenes aren't the sum of the whole movie though. Looking forward to seeing it regardless.

Ehhh...yes and no.

There was no experimentation or government intervention in Chronicle. But there was an awesome display of power at the end. The Signal also had an awesome display of power at the end, but I felt the rage arm slam was more in tune with Akira's style along with the artistic slow-mo action. The slime Lucy at the end was close to Akira's gross transformation, except for one of them was still sexually attractive to me.
I thought Chronicle was closer to Akira than The Signal.

Ehhh...yes and no.

There was no experimentation or government intervention in Chronicle. But there was an awesome display of power at the end. The Signal also had an awesome display of power at the end, but I felt the rage arm slam was more in tune with Akira's style along with the artistic slow-mo action. The slime Lucy at the end was close to Akira's gross transformation, except for one of them was still sexually attractive to me.

You found Akira hot, didn't you?

Just got back from seeing this.

Wow, my only critique is that I wish it were twice as long, to go into more detail about the abilities of the brain vs percentage usage.

With Morgan Freeman there, I felt like I was in the middle of a sci-fi action version of "Through the Wormhole" !

I think this is quite destined to become a cult-classic in due course.

Three cheers for Luc Besson & giving us this kind of entertainment :cheers

100% a DVD buy & re-watches :thumbsup

Just finished watching it... and then read some of the dumb comments on the IMDb message board about how the "10%" thing pretty much ruined the whole thing.

All these sciences. It's amazing how much people think they know. You only know what you're told is true. The "10%" thing is no longer true... because some "scientist" somewhere said so. You didn't do the research. You only puke up what you read in Wired or some scientific journal or Wikipedia. Last week I learned that someone had Ebola in Hawaii... then they didn't... then they did... because every idiot source has a different "fact" to present. So, because one person said "That 10% thing is a myth" everyone swallows it as fact... even though 10 or so years ago it seemed to make perfect sense and people believed the hell out of it.

If you can use 100% of your brain all at once, congratulations. I don't personally believe that to be true. There are days when I can remember things from my childhood, but can't remember the name of a certain actor or phone number... but a few days later that name just pops into my head. No matter how many times I read about gradient factors in scuba diving it doesn't make sense to me... I guess my 100% just isn't enough...

As for the "super natural powers"... go back 100 or so years... if you told someone you could talk to them from the other side of the world... real time... wirelessly... with video... while simultaneously downloading music... and reading an encyclopedia... while flying a quadcopter... that can send video of everything it sees... all with a device that fits in your hand... they'd have tied you to a tree and burned you alive with your witchcraft talk. Yet here we are today.

We're all connected in some way. Who's to say there won't be a way to someday control everything around us. I'm no scientist... and neither are any of you [blind assumption]. We're all a bunch of people talking about a fiction movie and arguing about why it's not real enough.

Why people can't just appreciate something for what it is makes me laugh. If you want real... turn off your TV and live your life. Stop hoping to gain some deep scientific meaning from a movie just because Morgan Freeman is in it. He's not actually God.

I enjoyed it. I was half expecting one of the other junkies with the stuff in them to also turn into a super-human. It is certainly open for a slew of ****ty B-quality sequels with none of the original cast.

I did think it was going to me more Matrix action and fighting and freezing bullets... and it turned out more like Transcendence. I did like the whole message that we only know what we make up and say is true.

Didn't quite get her exploding in the airplane lavatory... then waking up in the hospital.
The Korean guy made people snort the drug... so they obviously didn't care much about the people that were "testing" it. Why not OD people in a controlled environment to see what happens with various dosages.
Was Lucy's reaction because she received so much internally?
Would the results have been the same for anyone else?
I thought it was kind of weird that she had to use more to further unlock her brain's %. It essentially meant, at its core, that she was a junky too.

Not an awesome movie... but fun enough I'd watch it again.

I tried hard to dislike Lucy but found I couldn't. As said previously the trailer was a fairly misleading piece of advertising and the "science " is absolutely and unbelievably bad in it and I was predisposed to hate it as it seemed very like "Transcendance" (which is my worst film of the year so far).
BUT it is meant to be a science FICTION film and given SJs performance, some really nice references to 2001 that made me smile ,and the loop around to the film "Title" at the conclusion, I ended up liking it far more than I thought I would. Its a solidly good piece of entertainment, if a bit brief, and its done hugely well at the box office, $40 million to make, over $400 million worldwide!!!! Wish recent sci fi films would find an alternative to the seemingly Universal Promethian Goo though.

I watched this with my wife last night, not sure either of us really enjoyed it that much.

Seemed like limitless mixed with 2001, only I enjoyed both those films a lot more than this one.

Scar Jo's acting was good at the beginning, but then for the rest of the film she is just an emotionless killing machine, directly and indirectly killing and injuring a lot of innocent people, while leaving a lot of the people who deserved death alive.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back