Luc Besson's Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (Post-release)

A terribly overlooked and underrated film, to this day, even though its influence is still seen in nearly all modern action films.

La Femme Nikita starts with one of the most visually and conceptually dynamic opening shots ever. Pacing was on point. Sequences and exposition were crafted with complexity and conceptually layered. Most of all the actress was almost transcendent in her performance as Nikita.

Folks like to praise Leon The Professional but La Femme Nikita is orders of magnitude better than that film.

I finally went to see the movie, and I don't really understand all of the backlash. It was visually stunning, lots of funny moments in it (that Alien dressing up Laureline to get eaten, I mean xD), and I didn't find there was any lack of chemistry between the 2 actors, they are meant to tease each other, and it really transpired this way. Maybe older actors would have been better, but I thought they played their roles well. Story wise, really similar to the 5th element, bad guys stealing something, good guys retrieving it, bomb being stopped last sec before it explodes, ended up in a passionate kiss in a tight space... But it was good, would watch again!

Finally saw this. I liked it well enough, though it wasn't the epic space opera I was hoping for.
Cara Delevingne was better than I expected, but I think Dane Dehaan was miscast.
Though I don't know who I would have cast that would have been a better Valerian. Nicholas Hoult? Sam Claflin? I dunno...
Still a better movie than most of the garbage that passes for entertainment these days.

Finally saw this. I liked it well enough, though it wasn't the epic space opera I was hoping for.
Cara Delevingne was better than I expected, but I think Dane Dehaan was miscast.
Though I don't know who I would have cast that would have been a better Valerian. Nicholas Hoult? Sam Claflin? I dunno...
Still a better movie than most of the garbage that passes for entertainment these days.

It would have helped if they didn't treat her as a bond girl conquest and that she was his equal.

It would have helped if they didn't treat her as a bond girl conquest and that she was his equal.

I'll have to watch it again - I didn't get that vibe. Except from Val himself - he seemed to treat her as a conquest.
I did think it odd that she had to be rescued from the palace, after we'd already seen she's perfectly capable of taking care of herself.

Late to the party....

Saw it last night, a solid MEH!

luc has dropped the ball on this one, relying solely on visuals alone, weak story, weak acting, bad choice on casting particularly valerian he looked like a scrawny 20 year old but had plenty of years in the military. The commander was poorly acted all the way through.
As for rhianna, i just fast forwarded that part, it added nothing, again poor acting and dialogue sounded like she was reading it from the script, for the first time.
Some interesting concepts like the aliens and ships were the only thing of interest to me.

5/10

Luc should look for a new turd polishing rag, if hes alowed to make anymore movies that is.

Both the lead characters needed to be played by actors at least 10 - 15 years older in order for their experience level and relationship to be believable.
Kept me from buying into the movie. No highly intelligent, highly capable warrior would ever bother with an imbecilic, immature troll like Valerian.

Both the lead characters needed to be played by actors at least 10 - 15 years older in order for their experience level and relationship to be believable.
Kept me from buying into the movie. No highly intelligent, highly capable warrior would ever bother with an imbecilic, immature troll like Valerian.

Ditto. Its kinda creepy when kid actors act all grown up when they couldnt pump their own gas. It was a good film, good premise and I just ignored the tweener factor. Oh...the visuals were amazing.

Re: Luc Besson's Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Quoted for truth!!! I can´t remember that I have read anywhere that Mezieres was officially named as an influence, but seeing the body of his work is like seeing (a more livid and at times vibrant and diverse) version of the Star Wars universe. Reading that Doug Chiang kept comics and books by Mezieres in his library is no surprise, but I´d love to see GL name Mezieres as an influence. However, I can see Norman Reynolds probably lift some designs off those pages or become influenced by the designs, since he and Mezieres are of the same generation. And the other art department folks always seemed like people who may read comics or other "alternative" art forms.

So I am quoting myself here, because the proof was there all along Concept art for the ragtag ship Moebius aka Flattop Ship | Battlestar Galactica If not for mung ´s great build of this model I probably wouldn´t have found that article.

Bumping an old thread, but here´s Paul Huston making a direct reference to Moebius and his work in reference to the Rebel Transport ship in ESB, around 22:40:

So what had been assumed for quite some time, the guys and gals working on Star Wars in the 1980ies were definitely aware of what the french comic artists were doing.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back