Luc Besson's Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (Post-release)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Vivek, May 12, 2015.

1. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Despite some third act issues, I quite enjoyed Luc Besson's Lucy. It wasn't anything groundbreaking but still very entertaining and somewhat refreshing.

So I am definitely looking forward to his next movie Valerian, which is based on the French comic series from the 60s. I haven't read them, but apparently according to wiki some traces of concepts, storylines and designs from the comics have been found in Star Wars, The Fifth Element and Avatar.

lucbesson: My first tweet ever! Let’s share a real news! My next film is a big sci-fi: #Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

lucbesson: Starring @ danedehaan & @ Caradelevingne. Shooting in December. In theaters 2017.

lucbesson: First logo #Valerian

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2015
    Shoguno likes this.
  2. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

Re: Luc Besson's Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

[​IMG]

just kidding.

Besson has a great track record for me in the 80's and 90's. His latest stuff feels dated and unwieldy. Lucy is an example of a kind of film whose premise is so misinformed I couldn't suspend disbelief long enough to get into the story. I want to see Besson just do action films again. I think La Femme Nikita is the best thing he's ever done. The visuals and editing were kinetic and felt inspired and energized like good graphic novels. I'll sill watch it but IMO he gets in trouble when he tries to do science-fiction. (Fifth Element was good but I consider it more fantasy than sci-fi).

jec0435 likes this.
  3. Avanaut

Avanaut Well-Known Member

Everyone, read Valerian if you do not know it. Seriously! Especially if you like Star Wars. Valerian was there before Lucas' space opera and quite frankly, big George owes a lot to the French comic.

The best stuff is in the early 1970's albums, Empire of a Thousand Planets (Besson's upcoming movie, apparently) , World Without Stars, Welcome to Alflolol and Ambassador of the Shadows, these are essential of the ones translated to English. If you read these and more you'll recognize a lot of familiar scenes and designs.

I read Valerian way before I saw Star Wars in 1977 and I am very much looking forward to seeing Luc Besson's take on the quintessential Spatio-Temporal Agent.

valerian02theempireofat.jpg

Borjis, DaddyfromNaboo and Vivek like this.
  4. Vacformedhero

Vacformedhero Sr Member

Brilliant news , one of my favourite directors

5. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Quoted for truth!!! I can´t remember that I have read anywhere that Mezieres was officially named as an influence, but seeing the body of his work is like seeing (a more livid and at times vibrant and diverse) version of the Star Wars universe. Reading that Doug Chiang kept comics and books by Mezieres in his library is no surprise, but I´d love to see GL name Mezieres as an influence. However, I can see Norman Reynolds probably lift some designs off those pages or become influenced by the designs, since he and Mezieres are of the same generation. And the other art department folks always seemed like people who may read comics or other "alternative" art forms.

How old are you? I discovered Valerian in the 1980ies when they were published as large format comic albums over here in Germany. And I consider myself old, since I just turned 44 :p

EDIT: I hope that Mezieres will have a huge part in bringing his origina designs up to date and to life on the big screen !!!

6. Vacformedhero

Vacformedhero Sr Member

Mezieres heavily influenced the look of the fifth element with many key sequences of New York skyline and Corbin Dallas being a flying cab driver which came from a comic book story he wrote, also when luc benson contacted him, up front he said I will use your art but this time I'll pay you for it, alluding to the amount of designs used by Hollywood that used Mezieres ideas .

7. Avanaut

Avanaut Well-Known Member

I always saw the 5th Element as a rehearsal for Valerian, I was very happy to see Mezieres' visions on the silver screen. Jean Giraud's involvement did not hurt either.

The Star Wars connection has been up a few times, I do not know the truth behind it all. The influence seems pretty obvious, though. Just think, building Valerian's ship with studioscale standards in 1/24th scale and putting it next to the 5 foot Millennium Falcon... Now, that would look great! :D

I'm a bit older than you, took on to reading these comics when some of them were published here in Finland, starting with The Empire of Thousand Planets (the story that is to be adaptated by Besson) in 1973.

Vacformedhero likes this.
  8. AJTaliesen

AJTaliesen Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Never heard of any if this, but you have intrigued me.

9. joberg

joberg Master Member

Read Valerian and Mezières in Belgium in the late '60s. Big influence on a lot of graphic artists of the time: Giraud (aka Gir, Moebius) is one that pops to mind. Btw, I'm 57;)

10. Vivek

11. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Valerian or Ravian as it was translated into Dutch is a great series ... I've got all the albums and love them to bits ... now whereas Lucas knew of Mézières and Christin's body of work ... it's quite possible since he wrote the forword for a comic album by Moebius - Giraud and having seen the huge library in Skywalker Ranch it would not suprise me at all if he did know about their stories and adventures. Certainly there are many similarities ... except one ... Valerian is an Earthbound storyline ... with time/space-travel whereas STAR WARS is taking place in a galaxy far, far away and a long time ago without any means of time-travel ... now there's another huge franchise that crept right inbetween at least with some episodes of their sequel and next generation series ... yes it's STAR TREK ... coincidence ... most likely ... or is it?

I for one am going to be thrilled at watching Valerian come to life on the silver screen ... and hope it's going to be a huge success with many more stories following ... and some great merchandise in their wake :)

Chaim

12. Vivek

13. DaddyfromNaboo

The "actress" is not a red head by nature, but a blonde. Laureline aka Veronique as she was called in Germany was one of my first fanboy crushes (I think that term did not exist in the 1980ies) so I really hope for a cute redhead :love

And I found this starwars1.jpg

14. Vivek

15. portland182

portland182 Active Member

16. Vivek

Axlotl likes this.
  17. joberg

joberg Master Member

Costumes are good, hopefully, their very particular space ship will be reproduced closely to the original design.

p00k1333 likes this.
  18. Contec

Contec Master Member

Those costume is gonna be easily made from eva foam.

Riceball likes this.
  19. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

DeHaan is good...is the main character a whiny kid? Would hate for him to get typecast...

20. DaddyfromNaboo

Hm. Broody teens? Not the Valerian and Laureline/Veronique I got to know and currently re-explore via the comics. The actress really lacks the cheerful and adventurous sparkle that Laureline was painted in as the lead character. IMO they both are at least five years too young.

EDIT: AAAAND my worst fear has come true ...
    Laureline is not a red-head :cry

21. Vivek

22. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm liking that stump-headed robot with the gun.

23. DaddyfromNaboo

hmmmm I am cautiously optimistic. I can´t really see those two really young actors playing the characters when I look at the comics.

24. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

25. Betamin

Betamin Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've never heard of it before. Looks pretty interesting.

26. karmajay

karmajay Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks interesting. Does that K-Tron look like that in the comics. Unfortunately, every time I see that style I think of that dude in Thor :)

27. DaddyfromNaboo

MTV Behind the scenes clip:

[video]http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/1370606/josh-horowitz-gets-the-inside-scoop-on-the-set-of-valerian-2016-mtv-movie-awards.jhtml#id=1739612[/video]

I still think the actors are too young.

AND ...

am I the only one who gets distracted by her ... dark eyebrows?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    Borjis likes this.
  28. Malmeansbad

Malmeansbad Member

I was lucky enough to meet Mezieres today in Haarlem and have a little chat with him while he was signing my comic and drawing me a nice picture of Laureline.

From our talk I got the impression he was very proud of the film and visited the set 'all the time'.

An absolute gentleman and a very charming and nice person to talk to.

29. joberg

joberg Master Member

It's all looking good so far...Eager to see the finished product.

30. Vivek

Noeland likes this.
  31. Vivek

32. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

What? A Luc Besson movie with Cara Delevingne? SOLD!

33. Vivek

danedehaan: " Kickin off a big day at #SDCC2016 with this new image of me in @ ValerianMovie! See you in #HallH at 1PM!! #Valerian "

[​IMG]

Fawbish likes this.
  34. Vivek

SDCC Panel

devincf: Luc Besson takes the Hall H stage for the first time ever. Says he fell in love with VALERIAN at age 10.

devincf: AVATAR forced Besson to scrap his original script for VALERIAN.

empiremagazine: Besson retooled his sci-fi epic, and James Cameron ended up dropping by the set. #SDCC2016

devincf: Besson gets the Inkpot Award from SDCC, probably for ANGEL-A in particular.

devincf: Besson leaves the Inkpot on the podium and says he'll only take it home if the audience thinks he deserves it after we see VALERIAN footage.

devincf: VALERIAN concept art for planet of Alpha is nuts, hard scifi stuff. Intricate, lovely. Some BLADE RUNNER influence.

devincf: Now alien concept art. A dozen species at least. They're really cool! I hope they release this stuff - it's hard to describe.

briantruitt: Virginie Besson-Silla showing off some Valerian artwork. Movie takes place in 2700. Liquid and gas lands in Alpha concept stuff. #sdcc

empiremagazine: Valerian is set in the year 2700 and largely takes place on the mega-planet Alpha. It teems with weird and wonderful aliens. #SDCC2016

devincf: Weird panel: I have no idea what the movie is about but this extensive alien/spaceship concept art makes me want to buy an art book.

devincf: Besson is showing pictures from his recent vacation including his butt and his crashed boat.

empiremagazine: Luc Besson is now showing a slideshow of photos from his recent holiday, including close-ups of his foot and bottom. Help! #SDCC2016

devincf: VALERIAN footage: Dane DeHaan is doing a Keanu voice. FX is iffy (and unfinished) but visual imagination is AWESOME.

GermainLussier: Just saw 4 scenes from Luc Besson's 2017 scifi film Valerian. It looks insanely epic and fun. Fifth Element to the fifth power. #comiccon

devincf: In one sequence Valerian jumps off a platform and has a gun that creates little energy platforms for him to run across the void.

devincf: Cara Delevingne is awesome. She is funny and cool and hot. Rihanna shows up dressed as Sally Bowles.

devincf: The tone of VALERIAN seems to be classic adventure with exceptional design. Went from 0 interest to must-see after watching that footage.

empiremagazine: Just got treated to a chunk of Valerian footage. Featured robots, Hawaiian shirts, monkey/elephant aliens and Rihanna. Very Fifth Element-y.

JhovaniEstrada: Luc Besson receives a standing ovation after #Valerian first look is shown. *Mind Blown*

briantruitt: More than 200 alien species in Valerian. #sdcc

devincf: Besson just revealed FIFTH ELEMENT's Leeloo's full name but I couldn't possibly write it down. It's very long.

devincf: VALERIAN is set over a 24 hour period.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  35. Vacformedhero

Vacformedhero Sr Member

The reviews of the sneak peak look good. I hope this is the sleeper of the year, looking forward to it . Fun . What films used to be

36. Vivek

Teaser Poster

[​IMG]

37. Vacformedhero

Vacformedhero Sr Member

Brilliant , cannot wait for this

38. joberg

joberg Master Member

Indeed, indeed:cool

39. Vivek

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  40. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

:eek WOW!
    I'm more interested in seeing this than I am Rogue One or even Episode VIII.

41. SciFiMuseum

SciFiMuseum Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this Vivek, been waiting patiently for this. The teaser looks great!

42. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

That looks fantastic! Hope we get some good dialogue in the next trailer. Visuals look excellent.

43. CutThumb

CutThumb Sr Member

Thanks Vivek!
    Given this is "Euro sci fi" and Luc Besson I imagine the story is a bit out there. The two leads look as good as the visuals. I always wanted that guy to be Lukes son in any SW sequels we got!!! Maybe this will be a new franchise . Looking forward to it

44. nwjedidave

nwjedidave Sr Member

WETA and ILM working on the same movie?!?!?!? Holy effects Corbin Dallas!

Riceball and Gimpdiggity like this.
  45. Victor3

Victor3 Well-Known Member

I don't know this story at all, so I'm not saying anything about that. But, is it just me, or are all scifi movies starting to look exactly the same?
    My initial impression of this trailer is that it looks cobbled together from Jupiter Ascending, GOTG, AOTC and even the 5th Element. With a deliberately "non-Inception-y" score that harkens back to... the GOTG or Suicide Squad trailers.

Borjis, HEMADEW and dascoyne like this.
  46. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

Wow. Just as every sci-fi film after Alien was influenced by its design it seems that, for this generation, GotG has influenced the look sci-fi with the blue-purple-green color palatte of space and the classic pop soundtrack.

But I also missed seeing Besson's eye for alien design and costumes that was all over The Fifth Element.

Please let it not be another "chosen one"-type story.

47. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Agreed.

I'm basically done with new star wars crap.

48. Cameron

Cameron Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Cant wait for this one!!! Love me some space opera!

49. SciFiMuseum

SciFiMuseum Well-Known Member

I hope that they keep the characters background stories the same as the comic.

50. Gimpdiggity

Gimpdiggity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It certainly looks interesting.

Fifth Element is one of my favorites...still haven't seen Lucy yet.