LOTR Moria Orc arrows

DanPerezStudios

I'm thinking about making a few of these just for fun. They are described as "small and dartlike" and are the shortest arrows featured in the movies, according to the Lord of the Rings Weapons and Warfare book.

They are also described as being made quickly from available materials, since they are used more for harassment and cannot easily be recovered. I can tell from the photos of the fletching that they are fletched with black ostrich wing feathers, which are readily available online.

I am going to sculpt the arrowheads from Magic Sculp (in the book they are described as being made from stone or obsidian). I've purchased some pine doweling and plan to rough it up and weather it for the shafts.

Does anyone have any info about the actual length of a Mines of Moria Orc arrow?

Some observations:

On closer scrutiny, the fletching seems to be turkey feathers dyed black and very roughed up/damaged. From a distance the fletching looks like a puff of downy feathers (which is why I was thinking ostrich feathers), but there are definitely flights on the end of the shaft.

There is a photo in that book of a Moria orc with a bow and arrow, so if orcs are supposed to be about five feet (60 inches) tall, and the arrow is less than half the length of the body (I measured with dividers), then it should fall into a ballpark length of about 25 - 26 inches.

I have all the materials on hand except the feathers so I will be getting started soon on the shafts.

Pictures!

So here are some in-progress photos. I wanted to do this project fast and dirty, not unlike an orc making the arrow itself. My reason is that I don't have a lot of time with my busy commission schedule, so getting this done asap is essential. I've ordered my feathers for the fletching and they should arrive by the end of the week.

Below you can see the comparison between the original pine dowel and the arrow blank. Using a Dremel tool with a sanding drum I created a subtle taper from about midway in the arrow to the tip, then roughed up the entirety of the shaft with the sanding drum and a steel engraving burr.

arrow1.jpg

Closeup showing the tip, narrowed for the arrowhead to come. Note the texture on the shaft: this is one of the few times in propmaking where you go from smooth, sanded finish to rough, imperfect finish.

arrow2.jpg

The nock area, shaved down so I can add the grip. The nock is probably a little small, but orcs aren't the smartest critters, so...

arrow3.jpg

Grip area wrapped with 1 mm leather cord. I sealed it with superglue.

arrow4.jpg

Using steel rod and fast-setting plumber's epoxy putty, I created an armature for the arrowhead. I will wrap the steel rod with wire to help the Magic Sculp adhere when it is applied.

arrow5.jpg

Well, it's actually pretty much done except for the fletching.

Here are a few more photos.

Sculpting the arrowhead from Magic Sculp.

arrow6.jpg

Sanded the arrowhead and added armature for the larger barb.

arrow7.jpg

Finished and sanded arrowhead.

arrow8.jpg

Arrow painted and weathered. As noted, all that remains is fletching it when the feathers arrive.

arrow9.jpg

Very nice, according to the LOTR weapons book you mentioned it looks like fur is what they used for fletching. I love the look of them, If interested in LOTR archery stuff check out this guy www.bowstring.com he makes elf fletchings as well

Dude, that came out great. I am still trying to find a pic of an Orc bow. I can't find one anywhere. Can you post a pic or a link?

The arrow on the Moria Orc weaponplaque from sideshow weta is about 4,9 Inch (12,5 cm) long.

But the Moria Orc Archer statue from sideshow weta has an arrow in the quiver which is about 3,5 Inch (9 cm) long.

Both the weaponplaque and the statue are in 1/6 scale.

Thanks Anglachel. My arrow falls in between those, scale-wise.

And I got my feathers in the mail today, so the arrow is finished!

Here is the fletching (turkey feathers dyed black):

arrow10.jpg

And here is the finished arrow.

arrow-finished.jpg

I'm happy overall with how it came out. There are a couple of things I would do differently to make it a little more accurate, but I think it came out well enough. I will probably do a couple of more as time permits.

That came out great! Superb job on the weathering/paint, etc.

Thanks for sharing the pics with us; I always love to see LOTR stuff. :)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back